3 things (inspired by Windows Media Player) for VLC

Feature requests for VLC.
FinnOsterhout
New Cone
New Cone

3 things (inspired by Windows Media Player) for VLC

Postby FinnOsterhout » 07 Nov 2009 19:39

There are 3 things (inspired by Windows Media Player) that would be very great for VLC Media Player:

1. Preview Icons in Explorer / on desktop:
Videos assicoated with Windows Media Player show a preview picture of the video instead of the standard-icon. That is very useful.

2. Repeat Button in Main Window:
I know, there is a repeat button in the playlist-window, but I never use the playlist. I open the files from my explorer. And sometimes I wish to toggle repeat of this video/audio on/off in the main window. (like Windows Media Player)

3. Incremental Backup
VLC informs about new available versions and to download. But you have to install it by hand. It would be nice, if I accept the new version, the necessary files are downloaded and updated autumatically.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: 3 things (inspired by Windows Media Player) for VLC

Postby VLC_help » 08 Nov 2009 13:39

1. VLC won't go to DirectShow side, so this isn't going to happen.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: 3 things (inspired by Windows Media Player) for VLC

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 10 Nov 2009 12:49

VLC_help, you could have been a bit more thorough on each :lol:
1. Preview Icons in Explorer / on desktop:
Videos assicoated with Windows Media Player show a preview picture of the video instead of the standard-icon. That is very useful.
No. VLC_help is correct on this never making VLC (because of reliance on DirectShow).
2. Repeat Button in Main Window:
I know, there is a repeat button in the playlist-window, but I never use the playlist. I open the files from my explorer. And sometimes I wish to toggle repeat of this video/audio on/off in the main window. (like Windows Media Player)
Yes I support and have already lobbied for this :D
3. Incremental Backup
VLC informs about new available versions and to download. But you have to install it by hand. It would be nice, if I accept the new version, the necessary files are downloaded and updated autumatically.
Hmmm not sure about auto-download and install, too much extra work for servers and site admins besides many users are more than happy to update the current standard way.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”