larger display + keep focus in player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

larger display + keep focus in player

Postby cybmole » 03 Oct 2009 16:42

I am using VLC for MP3 playback, with a microsoft remote control, and/or with a logitech cordless trackball, + intelliremote software to control my remote interface. All this in Vista.

two issues would make life easier.

1. a skin which has bigger start, stop etc buttons or an option to enlarge the default one. ( I already have desktop large fonts enabled). this would make it easier to hit the correct edia control button from a distance with hte trackball.. Zoom hotkey has no effect if an audio track is playing.

2. window focus. If i call up a foler of mp3 tracks & play one with a double cleick then VLC becomes the active window which is what I want, bevause my remote intercace detects tht & runs a VLC profile.
but if I return to the folder of tracks , say with the trackball, & double click another one, while VLC is already aplaying , then focus stays with the folder, vlc does NOT become active window & my remote control profile for VLC does not kick in.
is any workaround possible for this ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: larger display + keep focus in player

Postby VLC_help » 04 Oct 2009 13:32

1. Is skins2 interface OK for you?

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 04 Oct 2009 14:12

1. Is skins2 interface OK for you?
I'm looking here at lots of skins but nothing called skin 2 ???
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Oct 2009 14:07

Those are the skins for skins2 interface.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 05 Oct 2009 14:28

Those are the skins for skins2 interface.
OK thanks - a bewilidering choice, but I don't see anything that is like the original, only bigger - they all seem to have same sized buttons ?

to use a skin do I have to go to preferences- interface & tick skin2, or do I just select a skin from main preferences window. I am not really understanding what ticking / not ticking skin 2 does ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Oct 2009 14:03

Skins2 and default QT4 interface are two different interfaces modules for VLC. With Skins2 you can builds custom skins where you can naturally have e.g bigger play buttons.

You can also customize QT4 interface via View -> Customize interface... but you really can't get any bigger buttons.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 06 Oct 2009 14:24

Skins2 and default QT4 interface are two different interfaces modules for VLC. With Skins2 you can builds custom skins where you can naturally have e.g bigger play buttons.

You can also customize QT4 interface via View -> Customize interface... but you really can't get any bigger buttons.
OK thanks - so can you recommend a skin that already has larger buttons & is not too garish please.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Oct 2009 14:07

I don't use skins2 interface so I can't really recommend any skin. But if you have some working setup from another player, you could use skin editor to convert it to VLC skin.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skineditor.php

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 07 Oct 2009 14:54

the default VLC layout is absolutely fine - I'd jsut like to make it x2 large when playing a music file !

because on a large screen ( 1680x1050) it appears quite small.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Oct 2009 13:50

Use complete look from preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 14 Oct 2009 15:40

Use complete look from preferences.
that makes no difference to size of controls for music files - it just adds some black space and an orange cone. What I am looking for is bigger buttons for play, pause, stop etc..

galets
New Cone
New Cone

Postby galets » 09 Mar 2010 08:44

I'm not sure why was this issue never addressed. I don't think I'm the only one running VLC on 1080p screen. The interface is tiny, and every skin available seems to be shooting to more and more miniature fonts. WTF... Is there a single designer here who can produce a skin normally looking on a hi-res screen? People these days sometimes use VLC to actually watch the movies, not to seek for a fly-size menu buttons.

I'm specifically interested in:

- big buttons
- always big fonts, everywhere, even when rarely used
- elevated font size in right-click menus

I just spent half an hour looking through the internet and I cannot believe this kind of skin doesn't exist. Seems pretty surreal to me. It's like a friggin conspiracy to kill my eyesight.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”