Advanced Use of Web Plug In

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
postsoup
New Cone
New Cone

Advanced Use of Web Plug In

Postby postsoup » 20 Sep 2009 18:32

I am considering using the VLC Web Plug in for a new version of my web based video editor. Currently I use the QuickTime web plug in and it works well. However changes in Snow Leopard have meant that one of the capabilities is no longer supported, and I need to think about an alternative plug in. As you might imagine making a video editor in a web page is non-trivial, hence it also relies on a back end server.

My initial observations have led to one or 2 questions, which I hope one of the developers might be able to answer:
- When querying the movie time using vlc.input.time I see that it jumps in large steps (typically around 300 mSecs). When I try to step through the movie frame by frame using "vlc.input.time = vlc.input.time + 40", again its jumping in larger steps.
- vlc.input.fps seems to return zero all the time.

Note that I am using file:// type URLs, not http://
for example : "vlc.playlist.add("file:///Volumes/MacProHD/video_media/Proxies/Volvo-8.mov")"

Its this which is broken in Snow Leopard, hence my delight on discovering that the VLC plug in allows me to reference file:// URLs from an http:// served page. In OSX 10.5 this was also possible with Safari and the QT Plug in , but in 10.6 it no longer works.

The web based editor works fantastically well with the QT Plug in under 10.5. I hope that I will be able to make the same functionality using the VLC plug in and have it work in 10.6 too.

Thanks for any responses to the input.time observations.
Thanks

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Re: Advanced Use of Web Plug In

Postby thannoy » 21 Sep 2009 18:17

I think vlc.input.time result is taken from the demuxer, so it accuracy depends on how the demuxer implements DEMUX_GET_TIME control request which may vary from a demuxer to another.
More interesting, the code triggered to give this value relies on a variable, which may not have been updated recently. The call do not ask directly the demuxer but a kind of cache seems to be used (libvlc_media_player_get_time).

Return to “Web and scripting”