loosing audio with slider forward

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

loosing audio with slider forward

Postby degarb » 26 Jul 2009 05:22

I am trying to watch a xvid or .264 file, both across a lan with wireless and off cd. My head ache is I can't jump an hour or two ahead. If I drag slider forward I loose video and audio. I can get video back by playing with the deinterlace, but nothing seems to bring back the video. I tried turning on and off overlay, playing with mute and mixer settings, no luck. Only workaround is to play at 8 speed until the point in video I was watching--which is insanely slow.

Ideas?

edgar_wilhelm
New Cone
New Cone

Re: loosing audio with slider forward

Postby edgar_wilhelm » 26 Jul 2009 12:50

Hello Debarg,

I have the very same problem. Everything worked in the previous version! Since this is so annoying I changed back to VLC 0.99!

The strange thing for me is that this is only happening with mpg movies that I recorded myself! According to Media information of VLC Player this is
Stream 0
Codec: mpga
Type: audio
Stream 1
Codec: mpgv
Type: Video

And according to VirtualDub
Video track
Frame size: 640*480, 25.000 fps
Average bitrate: 2533 Kbps (310KB/s)
Audio track
Format: 32Khz mono, 64Kbps layer II

Would be nice if somebody could take a look at this!
Thank you very much for the great work!!!
Edgar

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jul 2009 12:59

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

edgar_wilhelm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby edgar_wilhelm » 26 Jul 2009 13:15

I am really amazed !!! That sure was a very quick reply!!!! :-) and it worked! Everything's OK !!!

Thank You very much! Also for this great program!
Best regards
Edgar

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jul 2009 13:20

Cool, official release will come in a couple of days.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 27 Jul 2009 22:47

I guess I should mention. I am sitting in bed with old windows me machine (1 gig ram 1.6 ghz cpu and 3 or 4 gig hard drive. and belkin wireless card.)

Can I install new file on xp machine and copy some fixed file to my windows me installation?
This is assuming one knows what component was fixed.

I would wipe harddrive and install linux, if I knew the version would support my belkin etc. SO far, I tried vector, knoppix, and puppy on downstairs machine; and the live cd on notebook. Complex to sum up my experience, but none were easy or actually fully working. I liked puppy look best, but vector's support group best. Knoppix was worst for compatibility and hardware support.

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 28 Jul 2009 04:35

I just installed this version on my xp machine. I am horrified for now. 1. no single button by play to open file 2. mp4 .264 won't play with video 3. no cache pref on open file which is only way to keep video from dropping 1 or 2 seconds every minute. 4 clunkier more bloated looking interface than .8.5. 5. Don't see extended gui which allows me to improve eq and gamma from default so screen is optimally viewable on the lcd.

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 28 Jul 2009 04:52

found the extended gui and cache.

Looks like error message is failed to create video. old version works fortunately.

I still hold looks more bloated. But not as bad as most other things. The drop of the open file button is irritating. Since I often rip many dvds and will sample 10 before choosing one I am mood to watch. Though all is mute if it is a dead ap because it doesn't work because of some forgotten ini registry setting.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jul 2009 14:55

1. Click play and it will open file if playlist is empty.
2. rename your .264 videos to .h264 to play them or force the --demux h264
3. Look closer
4. Subjective feeling
5. There are 7 main buttons, and it is one of them...
6. Customize interface and drag the open button to toolbar and save.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 28 Jul 2009 16:43

Thanks for reply!

Quick note before leaving house. I will need to poke around more to figure out how to get back the open button (which I still don't see or see a way to customize.) More importantly, I renamed the extension to .h264 but still wont play the video. It is counting seconds but no video is playing.

On my xp system here. c:\programfiles\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe is older working vlc. on g: is windows and new version of vlc. installing that prerelease did not offer to uninstall. Which would make me nervous any way as only way to play my .264 files of which I encoded about a hundred to watch over network at our leisure.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jul 2009 17:10

I will need to poke around more to figure out how to get back the open button (which I still don't see or see a way to customize.
View->Customize Interface
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 29 Jul 2009 01:19

Is there some option to display video or idea why not working? I see the h262.dll in plugin folder.

My current theory is this is only a build, so because I didn't drop over old install, some dll may be corrupted. I suppose to test my theory I could install older version and install over it. But I think it is supposed to uninstall the older version. Which mine was ver. .8 on c: , it merrily installed this on g: as if never installed.

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 29 Jul 2009 21:51

Okay, for others' edification, I fixed it: after two days, of poking around trying to get the new xp version to play video, I finally hit reset preferences. This fixed the video and now it plays. Since this version never played video, I cannot be blamed for changing anything, unless some preference is stored in the registry and picked up from old .8 install (which never got uninstalled and is still working.)

I will also concede that the new version is more powerful, without too dramatic change from a simple interface philosophy. I will even say "good job". I guess, at the first quick 6 second glance, I didn't initially like some of the soft and larger looking non descript buttons on default interface, and was panicking when no video was showing and the loss of the open button that I use constantly.

I am still not getting satisfaction with my windows 98 machine. Some days it will forward, but most it will not. Upgrading OS is not an option. Maybe to linux if I have a week to chase down the networking.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”