1.0 ActiveX Distribution

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

1.0 ActiveX Distribution

Postby SteveRicketts » 24 Jul 2009 16:06

I'd like to just distribute the 1.0 ActiveX control and am finding some problems using approaches previously posted to this web. I've copied axvlc.dll and libvlc.dll to c:\program files\VideoLAN\VLC and created a registry key of HKLM,Software\VideoLAN\VLC, installDir with that directory value. However, when I try to register axvlc.dll or libvlc.dll, I get an error that says the LoadLibrary failed - The specified module could not be found.

Is there something different that needs to be done to distribute the 1.0 version?

Thanks,

sr

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 1.0 ActiveX Distribution

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jul 2009 17:24

I think you need to register axvlc.dll only, with libvlc.dll and libvlccore.dll in the same folder.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 24 Jul 2009 17:53

Excellent! Putting libvlccore.dll allowed me to register axvlc.dll successfully and all is good now. ;-)

Many thanks for such a great reply.

sr

PS. Vive le Tour

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 24 Jul 2009 20:39

Darn, spoke too soon. While the axvlc.dll registered and I was able to compile the control inside my VB app, but it won't play anything. I was trying to play a stream and that didn't work so I tried a few local .wmv's, .avi's, etc. and they wouldn't play either. The files as well as the stream plays on a computer on which I've done a full install of VLC 1.0. Is there anything else I need to look at, register, copy, whatever?

sr

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jul 2009 00:50

Log the messages and see what VLC says.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 25 Jul 2009 01:46

Sorry to be so dense... I'm not sure how to make it create a log. I put --logfile directoryname in the options parameter of the addTarget method but it didn't do anything. How do I turn on logging?

arielCo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby arielCo » 26 Jul 2009 23:10

Code: Select all

--extraintf=logger --logtype=html --logfile=vlc-log.html
(logtype can be html, text (default), syslog; I suspect syslog is not available for Windows)

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 28 Jul 2009 12:40

Ok, I put these three parameters in the "opions" parameter of the VLCPlugin.addTarget method and still no log. I tried them as both a string as well as a string array. Tried playing both a stream and a file with no luck. The VLC ActiveX is inside a VB6 program if that makes any difference.

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Postby thannoy » 28 Jul 2009 14:47

Options you tried are deactivated for ActiveX usage (security reasons). You can still use the deprecated log API (@see Documentation:WebPlugin#Log_object).

You can also look at your program stdout/stderr in which VLC plugin may write to. Maybe you will have to invoke a command to ask Windows to show the attached DOS window for your program. It is maybe something like AllocConsole, ShowConsole or other. Maybe you can just ask your builder to compile a console based application in project properties.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 28 Jul 2009 18:12

Put the control in a web page and used the iterator object. Says "no access module matched HTTP". So, what's that mean in the scheme of things?

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 28 Jul 2009 18:39

It can't find its plugins. They are most likely installed in Program Files/VideoLAN/VLC/plugins.
The one missing is libaccess_http_plugin.dll but if you want your ActiveX to support most of VLC stuff you should let it find all those VLC plugins.

For your information, ActiveX give to libvlc_new the --plugin-path argument base on HKLM Software\VideoLAN\VLC\InstallDir appending "\plugins" to it.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 28 Jul 2009 20:17

Ah, we're right back around to where we started... I was looking for a way to install just the ActiveX control and necessary .dll's so I didn't have any files in the plugins directory. So, I assume that in order to install the control, I'd really need to install all the .dll's in the plugin directory when I set up another system. May be just as easy to do a full install silently.

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 29 Jul 2009 00:17

If you don't want to just build a minimalist bundle, better is maybe to do a silent install, tweaking .nsi file to install wanted stuff as default.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 29 Jul 2009 14:05

Sounds like the best plan... thanks for all the input.

Return to “Web and scripting”