Looking for more OSX-Developers

macOS specific usage questions
VRic

Subtly better nib file

Postby VRic » 05 Nov 2004 05:02

I updated for VLC 0.8.0 my polished version of the Prefs, Info and Playlist windows:

http://vric.free.fr/mac/mods/VLC_0.8.0_VRic_mod/

VRic

Why not the other way around?

Postby VRic » 05 Nov 2004 05:33

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:13 pm
I got more information from Felix, and it looks like what they want is a whole new cross platform preference system, not just a new dialog. The RFE that he pointed me to is

http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc-devel/ ... 00409.html
[...]
In short, this new preference feature is not Mac only. I don't know why they request Mac developers to work on it, when all of the plumbing needs to be done underneath the cross platform hood first. It sounds to me that the plumbing should be put in place first (which doesn't require any MacOS expertise), and then test it by building a GUI around it on a platform.
If VLC's underlying prefs structure is to be redone, I suppose they're not happy with it and looking for alternatives. So why not switch the whole multiplatform prefs to the same documented XML structure as OS X? This may incidentally simplify the OS X port of the prefs dialog, but it would also save the efforts of developing a custom data structure by using existing and proven XML files and parsers.

The questions are:
- Would it make things harder on other platforms to use OS X-like standard XML prefs?
- Is there such thing as a unified prefs structure on other platforms that would have advantages over ".plist"-like XML files?

If the answers are no, there's no reason not to use that standard.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 05 Nov 2004 12:58

There is nothing wrong with how the prefs are stored. There is something wrong with how we visually present them to the user.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

NerdBoy

If you need icons...

Postby NerdBoy » 16 Nov 2004 10:19

If you need to put GUI Icons to any of the preference texts (Ie. you wanted to put icons to "audio" "video" "input" etc.) Tell me what you want the icon to look like and I'll use Photoshop 8 to make you a png ^_^...

Torbjorn

GUI design

Postby Torbjorn » 29 Nov 2004 18:19

I'm a graphics designer / GUI designer with good knowledge of Apple's interface guidelines as well as GUI design in general.

If you want input regarding the interface design, I would be happy to help designing dummy interfaces which can then be used as a reference when programming the interface. Unfortuantely, I'm not a developer, but I'd like to help the community in any way that is within my area of expertice.

If you like any such help, just email me at this adress:
torbjorn at creativestudio dot se

Regards
Torbjörn[/code]

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2004 15:46

So, how's progress of better interface?

fuyutsuki
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fuyutsuki » 14 Dec 2004 21:44

I like the interface!

arri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby arri » 03 Jan 2005 20:52

hi

because i was looking for a place to give some feedback on the user interface of VLC-player for OSX i sumbled across this subject..
i like and use VLC a lot, but indeed, some work can be done on the user-interface, not just the implementation of the preferences.

if your (videolan-team) call still stands, i would be happy to take some time to develop an interaction-model for VLC-player for OSX.

i have very little experience in programming C/objective-C/cocoa, but have a masters in interactive multimedia, and some years experience with working in a team of developers, both as interaction designer and beta-tester.

just let me know if/what i can do ..

arri

unicode
New Cone
New Cone

Outof line?

Postby unicode » 04 Jan 2005 22:32

I know this is a request for developers, however it sounds like there some other issues.

Download Audion from :arrow: http://www.panic.com/audion/ this is an interesting project because of the plugin-architecture.

They have separated general program preferences from what they describe as the console for all geek settings which can be found under the tools menu, IMHO probably not such a good lcoation?

I think many of the goals described for the settings of VLC mimic what they have achieved. Obviously this is not perfect, and may not fit within OSX User-interface guidelines (preferences were designed pre os x), however it handles plugins very well, and most-importantly it handles having everything set pretty much as you want it, while still making tweaks simple.

just my $0.02

By the way if I can be of assistance with development then please let me know. You can get in touch with me thought this board I would imagine.

VLC is a great project! (friendly reminder)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 05 Jan 2005 00:44

The problem is that almost ANYTHING in VLC is a module. This would make the approach quite confusing to users.

Bryan

Postby Bryan » 06 Jan 2005 06:43

Yes but the two are connected.
Basically VLC is a very multilayered system with it's own object, preferences system, variables, notifications etc......

So the key is to bind the generic 'linux code' to a nice looking GUI on the mac.
and fix sound bugs.

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2005 13:14

Yes but the two are connected.
Basically VLC is a very multilayered system with it's own object, preferences system, variables, notifications etc......

So the key is to bind the generic 'linux code' to a nice looking GUI on the mac.
and fix sound bugs.
And support WMV9, DVOBSUB and everything else out there! Alright, alright, I shut up now :lol:

The interface does need a little work - the preferences in particular which I find to be misleading when re-assigning keys, and a multi-document interface for several vids on screen would be neat. I wonder how hard it would be to basically clone the Quicktime Player look?

Alright, I shut up again.

arri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby arri » 12 Jan 2005 02:42

The problem is that almost ANYTHING in VLC is a module. This would make the approach quite confusing to users.
hi again,

i disagree with that being a problem. i think you approach the problem from a programmers point of view here, thinking in modules/plugins, and an interface that dynamically changes depending on the number of modules being loaded at startup.. am i right?

i think it's perfectly possible to provide the user a coherent interface, that still has all the functionality vlc currently has.
but in order to accomplish that it might be necessary to detach the interface-structure from the underlying technical (modular) structure in a way that makes it possible to place interface elements, that user wants to use often, in an easily accessible place.
Brightness, contrast, and also audio-offset for instance, are really controls or settings a user wants direct access to, rather than prefs. The same counts for settings regarding subtitle-control. (offset, scale).
and i could mention many other things, also regarding the interaction of vlc with the MacOS navigation services..
Loading movies/subtitles is an action, and should be integrated with playlist functionality, at the moment the playlist is more like a movie-play-history...without subtitles

Streaming should get it's very own place in this all.. it's a bit like playing a file, but outputting it to something else than the screen.. but maybe also to the screen. It's a very powerfull feature of VLC, aint that what the project actually is about? right now it's integrated in the File>Open menu, or somewhere in the prefs, or behind the play button (but only if no files in the playlist..) it should get it's own place..

99% of the prefs aren't used by 99% of the users indeed (or let it be 90%), so i would argue to take these 1% prefs, (or settings rather) out of the prefs window, and implement them in the initial giu in an elegant way, and give the rest it's own place. The modularity of the software could actually play an important role in that; but certain "groups of modules" need their own location in the giu.

hmm.. i hope i don't sound too brute here.. don't meen it that way, just interested in getting this project a great interface :)

anyway, if you can provide me with a map of the technical structure (technisch functioneel model op zn nederlands) that i can use to understand the module-paradigm of vlc-player, i'm willing to try and draw-up an interaction-model.
i studied the sources for a while, but it would take me too much time to use those as a guide..

gr.
arri

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 12 Jan 2005 14:20

I understand what you want to do, the problem is the following.

1: You cannot be certain the feature is present. it's in a module
2: It has to be programmed cross platform. We EMULATE mac behaviour more than that we use it.
3: It's quite a lot of work and we are understaffed.
4: The basic structure should remain compatible with the 'on the fly' controls.
5: it's a bitch to keep it working because the core of VLC is still changing daily.

I agree with you, but i also think VLC is just not there yet...

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2005 04:40

I'll help out if I'm needed. I have been programming on the Mac for years (with XCode since it came out), but mostly in Java. I do know C++, however, so I'll be happy to help out if you need it. I have zero a/v knowledge in C++, but if it's similar to Java then I'm good to go.

Send me an email:

demonpants@gmail.com

xiaodidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

"Region-free" Mac OS X Developer?

Postby xiaodidi » 21 Feb 2005 09:39

Hi! I have good C++ experience and some Xcode exposure. I would be very interested in contributing to the development of VLC on OS X.

However, I am disturbed by the latest news that VLC is no longer able to play DVDs region-free on new Macs.

* Is it a Mac-only issue? Related to Apple's ever growing interest in media contents, perhaps?

* Could developers try to solve this issue? Would they be allowed to?

I would like to hear some comments on this issue.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 21 Feb 2005 13:27

Actually it't not a Mac only issue. Many drives are shipped now with a new authentication method (works more low level) that libdvdcss (the code that VLC uses for region cracking) cannot currently circumvent.

This goes for many players (basically all free and open source players).

xiaodidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Thanks

Postby xiaodidi » 21 Feb 2005 14:39

Actually it't not a Mac only issue.
This is good to hear. In the FAQ the issue was described as affecting the Mac only.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 22 Feb 2005 13:02

Since we have many mac users and Apple was an early adopter of these new drives, the problem showed first on the mac.

Lon
New Cone
New Cone

help wanted?

Postby Lon » 02 Mar 2005 23:43

I'd like to help in any way that I can. I've been programming for 30yrs :shock: and on Macs since '85. I have more low-level experience then UI. Currently unemployed :( so I have a lot of available time. :cry:

Lon at acm dot org

stevexm

Looking for Additional Mac Developers?

Postby stevexm » 07 Mar 2005 05:58

Hi all, greetings from Australia. I'd like to join the Mac port project and help out too. Am a long time programmer/scientist type with a pretty good background in c, c++, java and cocoa coding.

Please let me know how I can get started and contribute.

TIA, Steve Melnikoff :D

The University of Melbourne
School. of Physics, Room 307
Cnr. Tin Alley & Swanston Street
Parkville, VIC 3052
Australia
Tele: +61 3 8344 5455
Cell: +61 4 1734 7189

stevexm at physics dot unimelb dot edu dot au

Daij-Djan

Postby Daij-Djan » 13 Mar 2005 20:42

I'd love to help. I dont have that much knowledge of Cocoa but much time :P

Daij-Djan AT implemented DOT org

noodles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby noodles » 18 Mar 2005 07:23

Has anyone made any progress on expanding the Applescript capabilities of VLC?

I'm thinking of building a frontend for VLC using Xcode and Applescript, for use in cars. Something similar to the Centerstage project, which is mainly focused on home theater applications. It seems like VLC is perfectly capable, but I need a way of tapping into that potential. And to make things harder, I have no Obj-C knowledge.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 18 Mar 2005 16:56

Has anyone made any progress on expanding the Applescript capabilities of VLC?
Could you list some functions you'd like to see in the AS-interface? Perhaps I can get some things done for you then.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

noodles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby noodles » 18 Mar 2005 17:30

I've sent you a PM. I don't want to clutter this thread.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”