A SIMPLE repeat function, PLEASE

Feature requests for VLC.
Arbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

A SIMPLE repeat function, PLEASE

Postby Arbie » 05 Jul 2009 20:27

A forum search finds that this has been requested before, and there's some indication that it exists. But I can't find it. The only "repeat" I see is the A-B Loop, which:

1) Is much harder to use than a simple Repeat button, if all I want to do is replay the whole file over and over.

2) Does not (even in v1.00) work on short films of 45 sec or so.

3) Does not work while paused so you have to try to catch things on the fly.

Thx
Arbie

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: A SIMPLE repeat function, PLEASE

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jul 2009 00:33

Open your eyes, and see at the bottom of the playlist.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 06 Jul 2009 01:00

He means on the main interface for a single file.

I have already requested that the repeat button be added to "customize interface" to enable anyone to do this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57523#p201886

Just the repeat not the shuffle
All previous that I said I would add to trac have been added :) I don't expect fast working magic as things take time. Few things I have suggested in the past have actually made it to VLC (small things) and I am very satisified that devs and forum members agree or give feedback on my ideas.
===============================

N. A copy of the Random (repeat) toggle button from playlist to the 'customise interface'.

The below image is pretty self explanatory.
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 06 Jul 2009 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Arbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Arbie » 06 Jul 2009 01:36

Open your eyes, and see at the bottom of the playlist.

When I searched the forum before posting my request, I saw that someone else had asked the same thing and was told "Open your eyes". Although equally snotty, your reply this time at least contains the answer, such as it is.

The user should not have to open and deal with a "Playlist" window to find a repeat function for the clip they're viewing. It should either be on the front panel or at worst on a drop-down list.

If your interface goals include "intuitive", you're missing something here.

Arbie

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 06 Jul 2009 02:26

Arbie, your spot on with your comment. There needs to be a separte repeat button on the interface for repeat once & all. The button should be as a user option in the customize interface

did you read my previous post

Arbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Arbie » 06 Jul 2009 05:16

Yes, I did see your post vlc_fan-01, and thanks. I realize after some thought that maybe all the devs and most users utilize playlists. But it's been years since I had the time for those. All I can do now is keep my media in folders, which often get moved around as the collections grow. Maintaining playlists of these is out of the question, and they aren't needed. I just want to point a player at a folder and have it go, with a convenient option of including subfolders. 1x1 Player is very good for this, with audio files. VLC is attractive for everything else since it handles many video formats robustly. I appreciate it, and my comments are meant to help improve it (as I see things).

Arbie

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 06 Jul 2009 06:27

I don't dabble much with playlist files myslef also, nor use the VLC playlist that much, that's more of my brother's thing. I keep thousands of tracks in folders and just enjoy drag drop per file or drag drop folder.

I already requested the "I" button for codec information to be added in the customize interface in which that was agreed and accepted. So now I feel the Random (off, repeat once, repeat all) should be the last button to also be added too. Fingers crossed let's wait and see :)

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”