playlist feature requests

Feature requests for VLC.
chuck583
New Cone
New Cone

playlist feature requests

Postby chuck583 » 30 Jun 2009 06:16

I may be demanding, but i really want vlc to be my default audio player too.

1. show text/lyrics from audio file (mp3, mp4)
2. enable to edit the song name, artist , album in the playlist window by clicking it once.
3. back and forward buttons in the information window (shown by right click the file in the playlist) so that we could browse more easily through the songs in the playlist.
4. drop down menu while typing song name, artist, album in playlist window and information window so that you would not type the whole thing over again.
5. by default the headings appearing in the playlist should be title/duration/artist not album
6. add more tags like album artist/contributing artist/ composer/ etc. in information window
7. drop down menu for genre tag in media information e.g. pop, pop/rock, etc.
8. in arranging alphabetically the playlist, do not consider the,' , and other symbols.
9. still, not all album art are not shown even though it shows in other player like itunes, songbird etc.
10. improve adding album art manually from locating the picture file including it in the media information window.

Hope this will be implemented, thanks! more power to vlc :)

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: playlist feature requests

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 30 Jun 2009 08:35

I may be demanding, but i really want vlc to be my default audio player too.

1. show text/lyrics from audio file (mp3, mp4)
2. enable to edit the song name, artist , album in the playlist window by clicking it once.
3. back and forward buttons in the information window (shown by right click the file in the playlist) so that we could browse more easily through the songs in the playlist.
4. drop down menu while typing song name, artist, album in playlist window and information window so that you would not type the whole thing over again.
5. by default the headings appearing in the playlist should be title/duration/artist not album
6. add more tags like album artist/contributing artist/ composer/ etc. in information window
7. drop down menu for genre tag in media information e.g. pop, pop/rock, etc.
8. in arranging alphabetically the playlist, do not consider the,' , and other symbols.
9. still, not all album art are not shown even though it shows in other player like itunes, songbird etc.
10. improve adding album art manually from locating the picture file including it in the media information window.

Hope this will be implemented, thanks! more power to vlc :)
Here is what I have to say;

1. A popular request and feature, it seems likely it will be added in fture as an OSD integration just like subtitles. Support is necessary for both lyric text-based files (like .LRC) and also lyrics within audio metadata like id3. Just to mention that KM Player and foobar2000 are the only other commercial media players I seen that can do this, but the concern here is VLC!

2. You can, just not directly in the playlist window, do that in Media Information under VLC. While in playlist just right-click and click on 'Information' to get and edit metadata in the media info this way.

3. I didn't understand

4. You mean remember/autocomplete in drop-down. I see what you mean but IMO it's not needed. Leave that to respective tag editors, since it aids batch editting in uses.

5. Yes 'artist' too but I like 'album'. Can be added easily to that interface but decision of developer. It's already nice that columns are moveable.

6. I have already requested this and it looks likeley we see it soon but to be shown in the 'extra metadata' tab of information.

7. I agree. You mean pre-defined genre's like pop,rap,rock etc. Remember VLC is not a dedicated tag editor here, it's just a convenience feature on the fly for users. But yes I agree with this one and it could make it.

8. Yes small settings for this like wildcards etc could be added in future for this

9. This is being perfected and should be fully done by 1.0 final (I say should be). Note: only reading of images from supported files like mp3 and ogg is supported. Formats like wma and aac/mp4 and selected others would still some more time until but will eventually make it into VLC. Album art would show in the video window (a visualisation), playlist window and information with eventual album art editting. All in good time.

10. In working progress, I think at lower priority though
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

MyKey_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MyKey_ » 05 Jul 2009 19:58

Hi,

+1 for suggestions 1 and 5.

on 1: I am currently writing a small plugin that (among others) displays lyrics in the "Extra Metadata" tab of "Media Information". But my implementation is only quick&dirty and fails if lyrics are too long (Topic: Display Extra Metadata as tree). Thus, I'd be delighted to use a better way to display them.

on 5: The selection is hard coded into VLC at the moment. It would be nice to have a configuration option for that. For me it would be nice to display the track number too (but I don't think everybody needs the track number).

Onanymous
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Onanymous » 30 Sep 2009 11:52

I also feel like like VLC needs more features to be used as a primary audio player.
without going into details, I just believe developers perfectly know themselves how to improve in case they decide to move in that direction. I only wanted to signal that there is a demand for that. On windows I am using foobar2000, but for linux there is no real alternative to that, and I would really appreciate the effort to shift VLC development a bit to full-featured audioplayer.

averagejoe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby averagejoe » 03 Oct 2009 10:17

I'd like a feature where I should be able to specify looping parameter for each playlist item. The parameter can be as follows:
1. Loop 0 times - meaning 'do not play during play sequence'
2. Loop 1 time - play once [default]
3. Loop n times - specify n
4. Loop infinite - do not play any other items once play sequence comes to this item unless manually acted (play next, previous, etc.)

If nothing else, please implement 4th feature. I play sequence of audio files as I sleep at night and I'd like the player to play the last file infinitely to play throughout the night.

Thanks so much!

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”