File formats, media keys

Feature requests for VLC.
Ryan_R
New Cone
New Cone

File formats, media keys

Postby Ryan_R » 23 Jun 2009 05:09

Hi all - I'm a big fan of VLC.

1. Can support please be added to .wtv files (replacement for .dvr-ms in Windows 7). Technical information about this format is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963726.aspx

2. This isn't anywhere near as important, but perhaps one day support could be added for MIDI files (maybe just use the MS Wavetable Synth).

3. Support for media keys on various Microsoft/Logitech keyboards plus the Windows Media Centre remote control would be greatly appreciated (keep existing shortcuts as well)

A side note - when you create an account on this forum, you are emailed your password in plain text. I personally find this a terrible practice and hope it can be disabled.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: File formats, media keys

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jun 2009 17:20

3. Most media keys should be bindable with latest releases. You can try http://www.eventghost.org/ if your remote keys aren't recognized.

Ryan_R
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ryan_R » 24 Jun 2009 01:18

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind when I get home

Ryan_R
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ryan_R » 27 Jun 2009 04:35

I had a look in the Preferences menu and I see what you mean (I think) re #3 - but it's not quite what I'm after.

I'd like to keep the default keyboard shortcuts and use the media keys in addition to using the Space, N, P, Ctrl+Up/Down/Left/Right shortcuts. The media keys should affect VLC even if another program has focus (ie skip songs while playing a full screen game, control song volume independant of system volume while gaming to get correct levels (some songs louder than others)).

Regards
Ryan

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Jun 2009 11:49

The media keys should affect VLC even if another program has focus
Global hotkeys are in 1.1.0

Ryan_R
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ryan_R » 27 Jun 2009 14:34

That's good to know. How about support for the Windows TV (Windows 7 Media Centre / Vista + TV Pack) file format (*.wtv).

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Jun 2009 14:36

How about support for the Windows TV (Windows 7 Media Centre / Vista + TV Pack) file format (*.wtv).
AFAIK no one has expressed interest on this.

There was discussion about that to be FFmpeg GSOC project, but it seems no one took it under workhttp://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Talk:FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code_2009#WTV_.28Microsoft_Windows_Media_Center_Recording_Format.29_demuxer.3F

There is also a conversion option
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 34440.html

Ryan_R
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ryan_R » 29 Jun 2009 01:00

Yeam, I'm aware of that. I currently record TV, convert it to dvr-ms, then copy to USB so that I can watch it on my laptop on the train the next day in WMP. Removing the Conversion step would save a fair bit of time, plus I like using the VLC Skip xx seconds KB shortcuts

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 02 Aug 2009 07:32

Please support play/pause,stop, , next , previous media keys on MS remote & on muti-media keyboards.
I know it's possible to work around this e.g. by assigning these functions to Enter & to number keys which are on the remote & which VLC can recognise.
but there seems no way to get it to recognise the special media keys which are now also on most wireless keyboards, so using VLC in a Home theater PC / media centrte setup is still not ideal.
Also, is there is a way to make VLC the default video player within the Media Center interface - I can't see a way to do this.

jahwoto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jahwoto » 02 Aug 2009 12:22

It would be really intuitive and useful to be able to use those keys.
Please support it.

bjdraw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bjdraw » 30 Aug 2009 21:48

I would also really appreciate wtv support.

I don't *think* it would be that hard -- I know, famous word from a non-developer -- but the reason I say this is because dvr-ms files are already supported and according to the developer of DVRMSToolBox the container isn't that much different. He has some open source tools that might be useful and if anyone would like, I can make an introduction since he is familiar with the container.

Thanks
Ben Drawbaugh
Engadget HD

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Aug 2009 23:49

Well, I guess that support will happen when one dev has the need for it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Ryan_R
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ryan_R » 31 Aug 2009 02:57

Well considering it's the default format in Windows Media Center for the next Windows OS - which has been immensely popular even while in BETA, and is due to be released in 2 months - I can't imagine that we'll have to wait very long :D

I tried using the MediaKeys app but it gives me an error and quits every time Windows starts up.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Aug 2009 13:54

You know, devs are really Linux oriented now... :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

bickyb
New Cone
New Cone

WTV support

Postby bickyb » 15 Jan 2010 07:47

I am another person looking for WTV support, and I know a bunch of Media Center buddies who'd appreciate it as well. I look at VLC as the go to player for support of most of the popular formats.
Given WTV is the format of choice for Windows Media Center 7, I think it is really important to support this format.

DallasKnox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DallasKnox » 17 Jan 2010 16:21

I will second the desire for .wtv support in the next release.

rgreenpc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rgreenpc » 17 Jan 2010 16:54

I would love WTV support as well.

SheldonW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SheldonW » 17 Jan 2010 18:02

Hey guys

Adding my kudos for a fantastic project / product. Truly love the work. I'd also add my backing for wtv support as this would be fantastic.

Andy S
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Andy S » 18 Jan 2010 00:58

I would definiletly appreciate VLC support for .wtv. I use media center, and it would allow me to take TV recordings with me and play them on my work laptop via VLC on a USB drive without installing anything on the laptop itself.

Thanks for all the great work.

bickyb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bickyb » 18 Jan 2010 01:01

Here's another motivator for WTV support in VLC. Right now, in order to view WTV files on a MAC, one has to go through major hoops and perform various conversions. It would be nice to be able to just play the WTV files in VLC directly.

jamievicary
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jamievicary » 07 Mar 2010 01:47

Yes, WTV support please!! This is now going to emerge as one of the most popular formats for recorded TV on Windows systems, I was really surprised to find that VLC couldn't cope with it.

Kawazu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kawazu » 11 Mar 2010 16:30

I join the community to also ask support for wtv format.
i also think that this format will be vastly used as media center in w7
will certainly be used a lot (like messenger took leadership, reasons are out of subject :))

juhovh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby juhovh » 03 May 2010 23:08

I will look into this, but I can't promise anything yet. The wtv packet format seems to be pretty straightforward and I believe I could get at least the sample files I found working...

vkristof
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vkristof » 04 Jun 2010 15:53

I too would appreciate .WTV support in VLC. VLC is the defacto "go-to" player in our household, "the cone thing" as my wife calls it.

Any progress on this?

Thanks ahead of time.

solomalee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby solomalee » 24 Jun 2010 12:24

Hi Devs,

Please this is the one thing I want from VLC. I make extensive use of Windows Media Center and for years now have wanted to be able to play first MS-DVR files and now WTV files.

Please please please, help MS out of their prorietary mess and build in the support into the next VLC.

Thanks

Solo

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”