All my Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.xx upwards

Feature requests for VLC.
vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

All my Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.xx upwards

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 31 Mar 2009 01:24

hi again,

I have been playing around with VLC 1.0 a bit (not extensively) but just on the side of playing back local media files as this is the most essential for me over the other popular uses like streaming.

Anyway, I say the following:

1. Could the 'Preferences' instead window be made resizeable rather than the addition of the scrollbar, as ith myself with all the options to gaze upon and configure I have various times forgot that it is there and that there is more options to scroll down to; I think it could be left out of the preferences alltogether otherwise an alternative like resizable preferences window.

2. The setting > 'Album Art Download policy' - This feature could be turned into a tickboxes for each policy.

3. The setting > 'Album Art Download policy' - Oh yes so there is only the option for album art to be downloaded from the internet? What about the full inclusion of reading album art from tags and reading from a folder too (folder.jpg or cover.jpg ,png,bmp,tiff)? mp3 id3v2, wma tags, ogg comments, m4a, ape tags ???

4. The setting > 'Album Art Download policy' - Should also have the tickboxes for 'read from cover from tags' and for 'read from images in files directory' (only when the support for these two have been done)

5. Album Art - Have tested with some disco tracks that contain own album art and it is sad that VLC still downloads album art for these tracks even when the image is both in the folder and embeded at the same time. What are the main obstacles preventing the fixing of this including the above addition for tick boxes for album art download policy?

6. Media Information (the tags) - Still some tag fields empty for my mp3's and wma's which contain metadata such as 'genre' and 'publisher' (these are some files), is there room for VLC to start supporting more different tag types for 1.0 or beyond?

7. Codec (Information) - Is it that VLC supports licenced codecs like On2's VP6 in that it won't display this codec information instead for some of my .flv files encoded in this format it will simply display 'FLV1'? I think this is deliberate for this codec type and many other licenced codecs, am I right?

8. Display playback time/ played+elapsed like in SM Player? I could not find such a setting for hotkey toglle on and off usage when playing back video in fullscreen? Is this possible?

9. Equalizer - what about an opportunity to save our own created presets to a generated text file (.ini maybe) and for them to be loaded.

Things I currently like:

Well many things such as the obvious cross-playform support :) :) the lovely QT interface that was added from version 0.9, the many recent new settings like A-B repeat and many 'Preferences' settings and playback controls.... I think VLC is going in the right direction :) Just could be tied a bit over time with my above ideas
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 09 Jun 2009 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.0

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Mar 2009 09:29

1. Could the 'Preferences' instead window be made resizeable rather than the addition of the scrollbar, as ith myself with all the options to gaze upon and configure I have various times forgot that it is there and that there is more options to scroll down to; I think it could be left out of the preferences alltogether otherwise an alternative like resizable preferences window.
Difficult for simple prefs because of the icons, but doable. For other, you already can resize. I won't do modifications on it though, because it is boring stuffs. Patches are welcome.
2. The setting > 'Album Art Download policy' - This feature could be turned into a tickboxes for each policy.
No. A choice is a choice.
3. The setting > 'Album Art Download policy' - Oh yes so there is only the option for album art to be downloaded from the internet? What about the full inclusion of reading album art from tags and reading from a folder too (folder.jpg or cover.jpg ,png,bmp,tiff)? mp3 id3v2, wma tags, ogg comments, m4a, ape tags ???
This is by default.
4. The setting > 'Album Art Download policy' - Should also have the tickboxes for 'read from cover from tags' and for 'read from images in files directory' (only when the support for these two have been done)
You are missing the point here, the policy is about Internet access, not about being pretty or not.
5. Album Art - Have tested with some disco tracks that contain own album art and it is sad that VLC still downloads album art for these tracks even when the image is both in the folder and embeded at the same time. What are the main obstacles preventing the fixing of this including the above addition for tick boxes for album art download policy?
Do you have taglib module compiled?
6. Media Information (the tags) - Still some tag fields empty for my mp3's and wma's which contain metadata such as 'genre' and 'publisher' (these are some files), is there room for VLC to start supporting more different tag types for 1.0 or beyond?
Do you have taglib module compiled?
7. Codec (Information) - Is it that VLC supports licenced codecs like On2's VP6 in that it won't display this codec information instead for some of my .flv files encoded in this format it will simply display 'FLV1'? I think this is deliberate for this codec type and many other licenced codecs, am I right?
VP6 in FLV is a modified codec that is NOT VP6. FLV1 is the correct name.
8. Display playback time/ played+elapsed like in SM Player? I could not find such a setting for hotkey toglle on and off usage when playing back video in fullscreen? Is this possible?
Click on the time label to show elaped or use 't' in fullscreen.
9. Equalizer - what about an opportunity to save our own created presets to a generated text file (.ini maybe) and for them to be loaded.
Will be done later.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 11 Apr 2009 23:18

Was just playing with VLC 1.0 beta install version and am most happy about the remember video size option. Again I have some complaints for you to check out and not to critisize me for being an annoyance; if no one cared then no one would bother bringing up the issue.

A. From playing one video to the next through Windows explorer why isn'the VLC application window displaying above other windows instead of not. The only way for me to get VLC window to show when opeing lots of applications/documents is to turn on 'always on top' but this is not what I want, it is just for VLC to show on every new file played individually through windows explorer.

B. BUG - The windows task bar (XP) keeps displaying everyttime I use the fullscreen controller

C. What happened to the implementation of proposed VLC's document icons for windows proposed by cloudstalker for per common filetypes supported, was this rejected ?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Apr 2009 08:34

C. What happened to the implementation of proposed VLC's document icons for windows proposed by cloudstalker for per common filetypes supported, was this rejected ?
Noone just applied the patch...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 02 Jun 2009 11:03

I am very impressed by the progress of 1.0 and Im playing with nighties a lot. I am glad about the addition of "Recent Media" in the main media drop down menu (a.k.a open recent files) because in 0.9xx its not there. So im glad thats been added

Another good (should be simple) vlc 1.0 suggestion:

Restart message notification in "preferences" :

Could there be a message for most items that need to be restarted to take effect like what we see in FireFox. Such options as "resize video to interface" which Im glad has made to VLC but I forgot when using the nighty that I had to close application and run again for the change to take effect. Some guys like me sometimes aren't that analytical when it comes to these things instead just 'jump the gun' and say its a bug. Im sure many people aren't aware that VLC needs to be restarted until feature changes in prefs take effect - so a little red coloured warning message like "you must restart VLC for changes to take effect" - this would be very convenient. I can even further suggest that the message can be blinking.

Here's a mock up I quickly made:

Any type of a clear notification to the user to 'restart to take effect' would be a great additon.
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 02 Jun 2009 18:59, edited 4 times in total.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 02 Jun 2009 11:04

Oh thank you very much for the tip on pressiing 'T' keyboard key in fullscreen as I always wondered if VLC could do this :) thanks. Another thing though and I know I sound like a annoyance guy but really I dont mean to be....

..When I press the 'T' in fullscreen it shows briefly for about 2 seconds and disapears again, WHICH IS FINE most times however... is it, or would it be possible to add an instant toggle option for it to stay on permanently throughout the fullscreen playback for example; double pressing 'T' twice for it to stay permanantely then tap on 'T' again to remove it. Single press of 'T' in FS would still remain the key for the brief showing. Currently to keep the time showing I have to hold 'T' in fullscreen.

Noone just applied the patch...
So this response means that document filetype icons for Windows been implemented into 1.0 (a final non nighty version), please clarify Mr Baptiste??

A. From playing one video to the next through Windows explorer why isn'the VLC application window displaying above other windows instead of not. The only way for me to get VLC window to show when opeing lots of applications/documents is to turn on 'always on top' but this is not what I want, it is just for VLC to show on every new file played individually through windows explorer.

B. BUG - The windows task bar (XP) keeps displaying everyttime I use the fullscreen controller
Just in case you never understood what I was writing (I do that sometimes in typing)

Lemme clarify point A. I am currently using the 1.0 nighties with all media files associated to VLC. If I double click to play a video file with another application or folder window in the way then VLC will not show to the forefrontgas it's normally supposed to, instead it just lays there behind whichever Window is in front of it. Has anyone noticed this as something to be fixed?

In point B. This was a problem I encountered in the previous nighty build in where in fullscreen video playback the taskbar kept showing everytime I moved the fullscreen controller (Win XP). As of nighty build 1. rc2-20090602-0003 - THIS PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING in fullscreen playback. Just download this nighty version, play a video in fullscreen and then move the controller slightly and maybe move the cursor around the screen a little and then the Windows taskbar just appears in a bug like fashion of the playback - Id rather to post it on the forums here to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

=========

Here are some more below, responses and thoughts are welcome :)

D. The 'preferences' window without a scrollbar (an option). Either by a manual resize (after the manual window resize it remembers forever) OR just a noticable button at the top which can be like "show full view". I say option as definately a lot of people with home computers would not like a application window taking up the full vertical space of their desktop

E. Close to system tray feature? An option to enable/disable this from within main menu. VLC already shows as an icon in the system tray and an option to keep it running but closed to the system tray would be nice also.

F. Option - To enable VLC on windows startup (in system tray). This suggestion can be merged with the above suggestion D.

G. "Open Folder" (which is in VLC's playlist) - this small and usefull useable in VLC's playlist should also be added to the main interface.
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 04 Jun 2009 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

vlc_fan-01

Re: Commenhttp://forum.videolan.org/ts/Suggestions for VLC 1.0

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 04 Jun 2009 12:43

My critical points of : A,B,D,E,F,G & the "restart VLC" suggestions...

... Should I feel these all in as individual bugs? Or wait for feedback on this topic
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 04 Jun 2009 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Jun 2009 12:47

Fill bugs. Seriously.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 05 Jun 2009 13:41

Fill bugs. Seriously.
Thanks I have now filled bugs for all the above of A,B,D,E,F,G and the "restart VLC" suggestions..

I will still continue to post my bugs and enhancements here first just to get feedback before I enter any @ VLC trac

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 05 Jun 2009 14:02

Here are two more, the first being more relevant first, another:

H. Remove all VLC items from the Context Menu (a Tickbox option in preferences)
VLC can install 'with the tickbox option of installing contextual menu items such as "open with VLC" or folder etc which is excellent feature within VLC. Currently if a user wants to go back on this after installation by removing this then the user would either have to take a spanner at the Windows registry and start deleting entries (never the safest) OR theoption to just reinstall VLC all over again - which is less efficient and maybe daunting depending if the uer still has the preferred installer executable; some users may be satisfied and may not want to update version by downloading from VCL site. A long explanation but it's always nice in application's to have user options to enable and disable these things. Just a simple tickbox option to make use of in which the changes to shell itesm on Windows would make effect after a restart/next logon.
Re: Remove VLC From Context Menu
They have the option to do that when installing, but not after. How dum is that! Anyone else have the registry edit?

I'm guessing it's filetype-specific then. In that case, you'll need to look under the keys for each extension that VLC is associated with under the HKCR tree, which is going to be a pain.

I. VLC Metadata Tooltip info (id3 v1, id3 v2.xx , ape, vorbis, wma etc)

Enahncement - VLC can already integrate into the shell of context menu ("open with vlc" etc). It would be nice if in the future if extended tooltip info for tags was supported also. This would be after tag reading for other formats is supported too. A tickbox option to enable/disable this feature in VLC would also be sufficient along with adding this option in installation. Would also be nice to add a 'suplied with VLC' on the tooltip itself. This Im guessing would require the presence of a single .DLL file or single separate .EXE

Parity to AudioShell or Windows Explorer's
Image Image Image

I may fill bug when I get time later but still wanted to post on the forums first :)
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 11 Jun 2009 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Jun 2009 15:55

I am against I. because it can easily crash explorer and I doubt any one wants to write any shell extension stuff.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 05 Jun 2009 22:08

I am against I. because it can easily crash explorer and I doubt any one wants to write any shell extension stuff.
Thanks for your opinion, it's really nice to hear feedback

I. is understandable to be against, I wouldn't press on about this one.

H. Yes, this one I still suggest

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 07 Jun 2009 14:47

Will fill these as bugs/enahancements on trac sometime today...

J. VLC - an option to preserve the speed setting option (in between playback sessions). This setting perhaps could be placed on the actual vertical speed dial itself or anywhere on the interface which is preferable over putting the option in the preferences.
- some forgetful VLC users may complain if the user played with the speed setting, saved it, then later forgetting that they made the save thinking that they may be a playback error with their media or a problem with VLC (this is some users) ---> This is why I think it's apropiate to put the 'preserve' or 'SAVE' tickbox on the interface over the preferences. Alsongside the 'save the speed' setting I would suggest a blinking icon (animated GIF) which would light up on the interface to indicate that the custom playback speed is enabled.The bliking icon is not the essential part but the 'preserving of speed' is :)

K. Since early 1.0 beta or nightly build of VLC; VLC now properly supports the option of preserving the resized interface for video under "Resize interface to video size". I love this option and applaud it magnificently. However when the display mode in preferences is @ "complete look with information area" (that means the cone as default screen) then VLC is unable to 'remember' a custom resize THAT IS SMALLER than the size of the cone on the defaulat screen. Instead, VLC, in a next video playback session just reverts back to that minimal size fit to cone size. What is the normal and expected part with this display mode, that I'm happy with, is when the video stops playing and the interface goes back to the smallest size to fit the minimal viewing of the cone however the problem is just that after closing VLC and playing a new file that the previous interface resize is not there anymore instead it's the minimal interface size of the cone.

This animated GIF I put together illustrates what should happen when playing video in different sessions with a resized interface smaller than the minimal cone. Display mode = " complete look with information area "

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 07 Jun 2009 14:57

More that I gotta add to the trac:

The 'scrolling text' enhancement
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60346#p201135

installation setup not properly preserving settings
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60521

L. SKINS in 1.0 - Fullscreen controller is not working when using skins in 1.0.
This is problem probably has already been identified already.

M. SKINS in 1.0 - Skins don't adhere to the fully resizable interface of VLC; could this be an issue with the type of skin and nothin g to do with VLC itself.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 07 Jun 2009 19:02

All previous that I said I would add to trac have been added :) I don't expect fast working magic as things take time. Few things I have suggested in the past have actually made it to VLC (small things) and I am very satisified that devs and forum members agree or give feedback on my ideas.
===============================

N. A copy of the Random (repeat) toggle button from playlist to the 'customise interface'.

The below image is pretty self explanatory.
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 06 Jul 2009 02:33, edited 2 times in total.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 08 Jun 2009 04:12

I am grateful, but I do not understand, can you repeat the detailed points?
What don't you understand. Did I over-explain? Let me know

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 08 Jun 2009 08:25

I liked this one, although less important, I still liked

add small icon to explorer rightclick contextmenu
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60278

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 08 Jun 2009 08:55

VLC offers far more video effects than SM and of course has more experience and development support in that area. I just wanted to post a comparison on the way things are laid out in both.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2qnb7e8.png
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 08 Jun 2009 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 08 Jun 2009 09:01

A subtitle button or menu is a breeze item can be placed that will link directly to the existing subtitle options that are in 'preferences' extra subtitle can be added. I am already glad and aware that subtitle loading and management in VLC is a breeze.
http://i40.tinypic.com/r1kku0.png
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 14 Jun 2009 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 09 Jun 2009 05:24

O. Backup all settings to a file (to a text file, ini or vlc format??)

In any bad event or any type of user-created fault making VLC unusable, it would be nice if one could have a single file backed up with every Preferences maintained (hotkey settings, interface, Everything). This may not be a problem for portable VLC users.

Maybe this already exist in a non automatic form. :mrgreen:

vlc_fan-01

Re: All my Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.xx upwards

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 14 Jun 2009 18:21

I will fill enhancements at VLC bug trac..

P. Support the 'codec information' button on the interface

Would be so conveninet to click a button on the interface as I would find it preferential. I don't use hotkey for this feature like the way I use hotkeys for other things.

....So If this small feature was added I can customize my interface like this:

Furthermore also I want for the fullscreen controller also, would be convenient:

[EDIT] This small feature will be added in future according to a devloper.
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 30 Jun 2009 07:43, edited 2 times in total.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 15 Jun 2009 11:30

Restart message notification in "preferences"

Also add a copy of this proposed Restart message/notification in the "customize interface" - since VLC also requires a restart to see changes of editted buttons on the fullscreen controller. I can edit the trac at a later time for this.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Jun 2009 13:29

Restart message notification in "preferences"

Also add a copy of this proposed Restart message/notification in the "customize interface" - since VLC also requires a restart to see changes of editted buttons on the fullscreen controller. I can edit the trac at a later time for this.
No, the fullscreen controller should change live, like the normal bars.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 15 Jun 2009 20:46

[/quote]

No, the fullscreen controller should change live, like the normal bars.[/quote]

OK I will remove the fullscreen one from trac

Thank you for the feedback

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”