Problem installing from Windows Nightly Build - help please?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
polyphemus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Problem installing from Windows Nightly Build - help please?

Postby polyphemus » 31 Dec 2004 23:21

[i]Previously posted to Streaming by mistake - apologies[/i]

Trying to install VLC 0.8.1 from Nightly build (http://www.videolan.org/~videolan), but can'tseem to manage it.

- the official build contains the file "vlc-0.8.1-win32.exe", which is NOT present in the nightly build zip file...

In the nightly build file, there is an NSI script file, but how do I run this?

Any help appreciated.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 31 Dec 2004 23:29

If you already have 0.8.1, the official release, installed, you should unzip to the same folder location -- c:\program files\videolan\vlc. When you do the unzip, tell it to do an overwrite of all files/folders. You will then have the very latest build of the software, and any file associations created by the original 0.8.1 installer will still be active.

If you don't have the basic 0.8.1 installed, download and run the official 0.8.1 .exe version, then apply the nightly build on top of it (as described in the prior paragraph).

(The installer isn't really critical -- the file association kinds of things can actually be done manually, and it will absolutely do things out of the box -- click on vlc.exe to launch it, and you can play files/DVDs, stream, etc., without having run the installer)

polyphemus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Thanks

Postby polyphemus » 31 Dec 2004 23:31

Will do that now.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”