Zoom

Feature requests for VLC.
Kokoko

Zoom

Postby Kokoko » 05 Nov 2004 13:46

Please, add a Pan&Scan option !
zoom 2x is sometimes too much, wouldn't be better to zoom in and out (in real time) the amount we like ?

thanks.

klumy
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby klumy » 05 Nov 2004 19:01

Zooming the window by using the mousewheel button would be also a great option
Windows 7

guest77

Postby guest77 » 11 Nov 2004 12:45

I can not understand why people do not add this useful feature to the program. This is the reason why VLC Player is not my default video viewer. This request has been posted several times but never been responded. :evil:

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 11 Nov 2004 16:55

Why zoom with mousewheel, it sounds increadibly cumbersome and non-intuitve for me. Just resize the window like any other window.

klumy

Postby klumy » 11 Nov 2004 17:34

no this option is very useful. e.g. just have a look at some image programs, where you can zoom the image by just using your mousewheel (e.g. ACDSee, IrfanView, XnView)

it is really comfortable
Windows 7

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 12 Nov 2004 11:45

But how often do you need to zoom in on a video? :)
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2004 14:37

But how often do you need to zoom in on a video? :)
When the black bars framing the picture are too thick, I use pan&scan(or zoom whatever you call) to get rid of them and increase the size of visible area. Is that clear enough?

guest77

Postby guest77 » 12 Nov 2004 14:43

And this is the 1 zillionth time people are asking for this zoom feature. Is it that --please stay polite-- hard to add this feature to the player?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 12 Nov 2004 16:36

Yes.
Do it yourself if you think it's so easy.

Something about people doing this in their free time and if you don't like how we do it, then you can fork the sources any time you want.
Last edited by The DJ on 12 Nov 2004 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 12 Nov 2004 16:37

Besides you shouldn't use zoom for that. You should use cropping (which VLC supports. it's just not easily accessible if you don't know how VLC works).

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004 22:16

You should use cropping (which VLC supports. it's just not easily accessible if you don't know how VLC works).
And why don't you make it easily accessible, i.e. mouse wheel or keys (+/-)? (I'm also waiting since nearly a year for this "zoom"-feature)

Postby Guest » 18 Dec 2004 03:26

vlc is my defaut player, please do a zoom feature, how hard could it be? EVERY player has it and if you want to compete, you should add this feature in the next release :roll:
or if you say something about cropping is implmented, then why is it so hard to just make a field with the right mouseclick where you can insert the values or something,..just please do SOMETHING about this. there are many movies out there with bars as thick as the picture itself,and if i watch them on my monitor i will get blind sooner or later! 8)
PLEASE! i think this is absolut priority!
cheers

Giz

Pleeaasse!

Postby Giz » 18 Dec 2004 16:58

Pleeeaase include a zoom-option ... it's really missing!! Thanks sooo much!!!

guest - totya

zoom req

Postby guest - totya » 29 Dec 2004 16:50

Hi!

The vlc player is fantastic. Resource req. is minimal.

But, Please : ZOOM function!!!

I think too this is absolut priority!

kn00tcn

Postby kn00tcn » 30 Dec 2004 19:09

what's wrong with you people!

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 03 Jan 2005 15:28

I think i should explain this a bit more....
The problem is that VLC can do this... Just not on the fly. And that is what people expect. If we make the feature available in the current form as it is, it would be very confusing to most people. To make it work on the fly, we have to go trough several large changes in our video core to make sure things can 'restart' during playback safely.
We are slowly doing these changes, but it's more complicated than most of you seem to think, and next to that, we are also very understaffed. VLC only has very few core developers that have enough knowledge to make such large changes to the VLC sourcecode, and they work in their own time for free. NEVER forget that please.

VLC has grown from under a 1000 to over 5 miljon users in only 3,5 years. Unfortunatly our development staff has stayed somewhat equeal with core developers not reaching over the number 6.

Please be patient with us.

Greeneemer

Postby Greeneemer » 08 Jan 2005 21:03

I think i should explain this a bit more....
The problem is that VLC can do this... Just not on the fly. And that is what people expect. If we make the feature available in the current form as it is, it would be very confusing to most people. To make it work on the fly, we have to go trough several large changes in our video core to make sure things can 'restart' during playback safely.
We are slowly doing these changes, but it's more complicated than most of you seem to think, and next to that, we are also very understaffed. VLC only has very few core developers that have enough knowledge to make such large changes to the VLC sourcecode, and they work in their own time for free. NEVER forget that please.

VLC has grown from under a 1000 to over 5 miljon users in only 3,5 years. Unfortunatly our development staff has stayed somewhat equeal with core developers not reaching over the number 6.

Please be patient with us.
Hi!
I was about to post this request but apparently it was already there.
As an answer to your question to why you would want this feature I give an example: I, being a laptop user, have a widescreen display. Unfortunately, not all movies that the maker intended to be widescreen is encoded properly. By this I mean that instead of defining the movie file to be in a certain resolution (with the radio 16:9/16:10) they add black borders above and below the real contents of the film.
Eg Media Player Classic has a solution to this which means that they cut away the black borders, preventing them from being visible. However, it is still rendered so subtitles in the lower black border are being but in half too. I hope that VLC will find a solution to this too.

Concerning your previous post (the one I quoted) I totally agree with you. I, and every other user who don't pay you or sponsor you in any other way can't really demand you to do anything. I am just happy that you take requests at all and answer to the sometimes not all that clever posts in this forum.
I greatly appreciate you less-than-6 coders for making such an effort to make such a great application for yourself and others.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”