About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
papougenet
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming DVB-T to a file with subtitles .srt

Postby papougenet » 12 May 2009 23:04

First, sorry for my english..
I work with VLC 1.0 pre xxx under XP.
I was looking for a way to save a DVB-T stream with only one program (of 6), preserving subtitles. After many (many many) tests, i'm using a command line as :

"c:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc" dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=514000000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :sout-all :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="F:\temp\stream.ts"},select="program=257",dst=display,select="program=257"}

In my region (Angers, France) i get a file containing FR2 program, including subtitles, displayed when asked. The option :sout-all included in the definition of the source is necessary, otherwise the stream selected by option "program=257" contains only video and audio data, no subtitles, by default (strange...). It's also necessary to use the display output, otherwise the subtitles are included in the recorded stream 1 sec (approximately) after the beginning of the record.

I have tested also the following command line :

"c:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc" dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=514000000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :sout-all :sout=#duplicate{dst=display,select="program=257",dst=std{access=file,mux=avi,dst="F:\temp\stream.avi"},select="program=257",dst=std{access=file,mux=raw,dst="F:\temp\stream.sub"},select="es=140"}

(140 is the PID of the subtitles of the program 257)

I got 2 files : one avi (with video and audio) and one subtitles file, arbitrarily named stream.sub. The subtitles file contains something which unfortunately is no recognized by VLC when i rename it in .srt... I guess it's necessary to use a transcode action, style : transcode(scodec=dvbs), to obtain a .srt file ? But i'm very newbie in the use of the VLC command line and i don't know how to include that action before the save of the subtitles file...

Anyone can help me ? Thanks...

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”