VLC as a rtsp server

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
dafodill
New Cone
New Cone

VLC as a rtsp server

Postby dafodill » 30 Apr 2009 08:11

Can anyone tell me how to use VLC as a rtsp server.
I tried the command line options given in the vlc documentation and it is not working fine .

Thanks in advance.

herlit11
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC as a rtsp server

Postby herlit11 » 04 May 2009 20:37

HI, i have the same issue, any private replies to your question?
I see that vlc can play rtsp fine ,but when it comes to streaming ,the gui does not offer any options.
What did you use in the command line to stream rtsp? Can you paste it here? the output and the vlc build version?

thanks,regards
Herlit11

sta2008
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sta2008 » 04 May 2009 21:15

I'm having difficulty myself. I'm trying to take in an audio stream and on-the-fly transcode it to AAC over RTSP (going out).

There are two ways to do RTSP: VOD and broadcast. VOD (video on demand) is VLC taking some local file and streaming it out. Broadcast is taking a live feed (a shoutcast server, a webcam, a dv camera, etc) and streaming that out.
I'm trying to do broadcast myself.

My command line (for broadcasting only):

vlc -vvv -I dummy (input stream) --sout='#transcode{acodec=mp4a, aenc=ffmpeg}:rtp{mp4a-latm,dst=(server's IP),port=30100,port-audio=30110,name=aac5.sdp,sdp=rtsp://(server's IP):30090/aac5.sdp}'

This works when both the server and client are on the same network, but when I try it on a server on the internet I can't connect. The only consistent response I see for people's problems with RTSP is "firewall issue" with no explanation what ports need to be open. In my above command line, the only port option that seems to make any difference is where you see 30090 at the end.

In addition to 30100, 30110, 30090 open, I have opened ports 80, 554, 6970-6999 on my server's firewall to no avail.

So to summarize, VLC does work as a RTSP server, but when it comes to troubleshooting there are more questions here on the board then there are answers. I haven't found a post on VLC's forums or the site that answers people's questions about serving out RTSP. There is some good starter material but no FAQs or troubleshooting tips.

herlit11
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby herlit11 » 05 May 2009 13:42

i have the same problem. On my lan rtp and rtsp works between vlc server and vlc client.
I also tried to send rtsp to my set top box(istar mini hd, on the same lan)but it did not work

On the other hand i just found about this streaming /broadcast live feed located at

rtsp://85.214.87.175/thriller-tv

I can connect both with my vlc and with my set top box. But i still could not get a hold of the server admin. I would like
to ask him a couple of questions.

Maybe he is just using rtspd or other rtsp streamer. The thing is, at least to me, that i need vlc because i capture live tv
from an Encore ENLTV card. I can also use ffmpeg, it does the same thing. I am gonna try,but i cant remember if ffserver
will allow rtsp feeds.

Thanks, keep sharing any info you guys get,regars
Herlit11

hinzinho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hinzinho » 19 May 2009 23:16

any luck? I have been trying to get VOD working for the past few months (on and off) but no luck. Much to the same issue as others are having. Able to play locally but not from outside. Here is a link to someone with identical issue.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47016&p=149226&hilit=vod#p149226

herlit11
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby herlit11 » 22 May 2009 18:17

1:
The thing is that vlc does not stream tcp over its rtsp(as far as i know), maybe this is related to your "Unsupported Transport error". Try asking the developers about rtsp streaming.

2:
Regarding the "local/outside play" problem. How are you connecting to the feed when it works locally? rtp://10.0.0.x or rtsp://10.0.0.x ?
Does it work on the LAN or in the same machine only?

Try rtsp://85.214.87.175/kung-fu-tv or
rtsp://85.214.87.175/thriller-tv

They work for me with vlc 0.9.9a

3:
Also check this out, it may give you some pointers:

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1076

good luck
Herlit11

shagnasticator
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shagnasticator » 08 May 2010 08:16

Have you set up your router to port forward the connection on from wan to lan?? also are you trying to connect to your lan ip or the one provided by your ISP

mrtipale
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: many
Operating System: linux, windows

Postby mrtipale » 24 Jun 2012 21:32

Tried but no use. VLC is good video player, convertor on cmd line, streaming within same network.
Its something with supported layers and protocols when it comes on internet. I would love to see some solutions on rtsp mobile streaming.

I tried unsuccessfully on internet. It works fine with DSS. If need any help refer me.

BR,
Mahendra
Cheers,
Mahendra
mrtipale

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”