0.9.9 still can't jump with TS files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mjrmjr
New Cone
New Cone

0.9.9 still can't jump with TS files

Postby mjrmjr » 14 Apr 2009 21:38

Hi,

VLC (0.9.9 on XP) still has a few problems with TS files (the kind of files that a lot of digital TV cards produce). VLC plays the TS files OK - the problem is with jumping forwards and backwards using the left and right arrow keys, either by themselves or with Shift, Alt, Ctrl etc. These work as they should with mpgs etc., but with the TS files there is no movement, just the white text overlay suggesting the time the video should jump to.

Just to re-iterate - this is not a problem with key-mappings or anything like that as it is the same on all PCs I have tried it on, with all the TS files I have tried it with, and I have tried remapping the keys; and anyway, it all works fine with other video formats. I haven't tried it on any other platform.

I know this is not going to be high up on the to-do list, but it was working in 0.8.6 (or at least in one of the 0.8 branch releases), so maybe it shouldn't be too hard to fix...

Other than that this is a fantastic piece of software, so thanks for everything!

Matthew

felinis
New Cone
New Cone

Re: 0.9.9 still can't jump with TS files

Postby felinis » 15 Apr 2009 06:25

The use of the jump keys in a video player requires that the video file be indexed.

Since a TS file is intended to streamed, I don't believe that it could possibly be indexed like an MPEG PS encapsulated file can be. How would you ever jump forward in a stream?

Are you sure that you have used jump keys in TS files before?

mjrmjr
New Cone
New Cone

Re: 0.9.9 still can't jump with TS files

Postby mjrmjr » 15 Apr 2009 11:31

I thought I was sure I had used the jump keys with TS files, but having just tried a few older versions, it seems that I must be mistaken, as they don't work either - and from what you suggest, it looks like it won't be so easy to implement after all. Oh well...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”