reset full screen control overlay position

Feature requests for VLC.
dex Otaku
New Cone
New Cone

reset full screen control overlay position

Postby dex Otaku » 23 Feb 2009 06:54

Under Win32 with 0.9.x.

Seems like an obvious one, but reinstalling and/or wiping all VLC player settings does not reset the full-screen control positon, nor does resetting Windows' window position cache.

Having switched from a large CRT to a LCD with slightly lower resolution, I've lost the controls, and I shouldn't have to hook up the old display just to move them.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: reset full screen control overlay position

Postby VLC_help » 23 Feb 2009 13:19

reinstalling and/or wiping all VLC player settings does not reset the full-screen control positon
removing VLC settings does reset the full-screen controller position. The position value is stored to %appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini

dex Otaku
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dex Otaku » 23 Feb 2009 17:08

removing VLC settings does reset the full-screen controller position. The position value is stored to %appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini
Odd. It didn't during 2 reinstalls (and one downgrade because of 0.9.8a's multi-display issues). It also hasn't returned having manually edited then manually wiped the settings files from my user profile and made sure the relevant options are turned on in the player preferences. Something else is going on, evidently.

edit:
Reinstalled 0.9.6 again, verified that all settings actually were erased after preceeding uninstall; the same thing happens. It appears as though the default position of some dialogues [including the extended settings] is off-screen. The only difference between my setup now and how if was before is that my primary display is 16:10 aspect and of a lower resolution [1440*900 now where with the CRT I was running 1600*1200]. I only know this because the default position of the extended settings dialogue was such that its very top edge was visible at the bottom of the display.

Am reminded of another unrelated issue, as well: I leave VLC to install and associate itself with basically everything, to make sure it takes over handling of things that other software [such as quicktime] hijacks. Upon finishing the install, many of the file type associations involved suddenly have default permissions removed in the Windows registry, so even System and Admins can't alter the settings [without opening regedit and resetting the permissions].

This obviously no longer belongs under feature requests, so perhaps this could be moved to bug reports? The same dialogue position issues affect 0.9.8a on my machine [under WinXP SP3] as well.

Emula
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Emula » 25 Feb 2009 00:21

this would help considerably knowing more then 2 people have had trouble with the option to dragdrop /changed window size time slider bar went missing

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53761&p=186579&hili ... ne#p186579
has had the same problem

u got my vote to atleast make a reset button in the preferences next to the dont show/show the time control in fullscreen qt with it reseting the control to position 0 0 topleft on the screen
Help!!! If Fallen and i cant... Hey nice carpet.

mnelson07
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mnelson07 » 20 Mar 2009 17:16

I was able to reset my settings by doing the following:

Navigate to: %root%\Documents and Settings\%yourlogin%\Application Data\vlc
Open vlc-qt-interface.ini in Notepad or any other text editing application.
playlist-visible is probably set to 0, set it to 1.
Restart VLC.

Worked for me, I hope it does for you guys too.

darthclide
New Cone
New Cone

Postby darthclide » 24 Apr 2012 07:18

Yah, was trying to find a "reset" button because while the "docked" option was a good idea, the problem is that if I happen to drag the control bar by accident, I have to go into the ini file, and manually set it to the center.... I was hoping someone could shed some light on if this "reset" button will ever be implemented? I just spent 15 minutes trying to find how to fix this, all because I accidentally dragged the bar over....

Sorry if I should have started a new post on this, but even though this is 2009, I can't believe this option still hasn't been implemented... Even a "double click" to center the control bar would suffice I think.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”