New to JVLC

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
fmaste
New Cone
New Cone

New to JVLC

Postby fmaste » 10 Feb 2009 18:23

Hi!
I want to develop a Java applications that uses libVLC (great library!!). But I don't know where to start from. I need someone to point me in the right direction. Guides? documentation?

I found this page JVLC. I and also read that there are Java Bindings on the source code, I download the source code but there's no bindings folder. Where are those bindings?

Are this 2 the same? are they maintained regulary? Still active? Or is it preferable to use the original libVLC with JNI/JNA?
Documentation of those libraries? Or only of the original libVLC?

Thanks!!!

viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: New to JVLC

Postby viewport » 23 Feb 2009 02:40

Hi! I'm new too.

Can I help out with JVLC? I intend to put JVLC project into Eclipse. Some help will be much appreciated. Where do I get the source, actually? I've found only tags (release branches?).

viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby viewport » 23 Feb 2009 09:43

Hi! I'm new too.

Can I help out with JVLC? I intend to put JVLC project into Eclipse. Some help will be much appreciated. Where do I get the source, actually? I've found only tags (release branches?).
I figured it out. I downloaded the entire vlc repository with git. I configured a Java project in Eclipse, went to the project's "Run/Debug Settings", edited my application launch configurations thus:

Arguments: "--plugin-path=D:\path\to\vlc\plugins" (it's the vlc plugins folder, not the libvlc.dll folder)
Environment: "PATH=D:\path\to\vlc\libvlc_libvlccore_dlls;D:\path\to\vlc\plugins". (Yup, both the libvlc.dll and the plugins folders).

Was able to play just about any video files I throw at the example (Java source from VLC\src\bindings\java\samples\client\src\main\java).

My next question will be: Does jvlc work with anything other than AWT? I'm thinking Draw2D. I'll post this in another thread. But do help me if you know! I'll help you get jvlc up and running. :)

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 Feb 2009 17:39

The bindings folder is only in the source code repository. It's not included in the source tarball.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “Development around libVLC”