Save video file with effect

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
wookie_x
New Cone
New Cone

Save video file with effect

Postby wookie_x » 03 Feb 2009 02:50

Sorry if someone asked this already. I love VLC as a media player, it plays just about anything. The problem is, I'm a total n00b at this and haven't found the answer on the forums. I've got a video file, and I'd like to save it with one of the video effects I get under the Adjustments and Effects menu. Is there a way to do this? I'm using VLC media player 0.9.6a Grishenko.

**edit** I've found out that I need to transcode the file. Unfortunately the documentation online on how to do this is outdated. Options/opinions/solutions?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Save video file with effect

Postby VLC_help » 03 Feb 2009 13:19

Media -> Convert/Save... then select the file and next the transcoding options.

wookie_x
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wookie_x » 03 Feb 2009 19:46

Media -> Convert/Save... then select the file and next the transcoding options.
Ok, I set up VLC with the effect I want on the video. I click on media, click on convert save. I find the file I want to apply the effect to. I double click on that and I get a "stream output" window. I select file (since I want to save to a file) and I enter a title. I click save. A file with the title I chose appears in the VLC directory. The desired effect (under adjustments and effects, image modification, gradient, mode:edge, color and cartoon checked) is NOT saved on the file. The file is unaltered, other than now being in a format that only VLC can play.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Feb 2009 14:13

You have to specify transcoding. So from Profile pulldown menu, try for example Windows (wmv/asf) and remember to but wmv as file extension.

wookie_x
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wookie_x » 04 Feb 2009 23:19

Well, I've managed to get it to change formats, but I still can't get the effect INTO the clip itself. That is, put in the effect so that it's there no matter what software is being used to view the video. What am I missing?
You have to specify transcoding. So from Profile pulldown menu, try for example Windows (wmv/asf) and remember to but wmv as file extension.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Feb 2009 13:49

You have enabled the filters from Tools -> Preferences... (Show settings: All) Video -> Filters... ?

wookie_x
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wookie_x » 06 Feb 2009 06:19

Well, I tried checking all the boxes, then only be filters I wanted. Then I tried using they syntax from here: http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Modules/gradient . Nothing so far. I'll keep playing with it.
You have enabled the filters from Tools -> Preferences... (Show settings: All) Video -> Filters... ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Feb 2009 18:39

You noticed that the filters are listed twice in there?

wookie_x
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wookie_x » 07 Feb 2009 03:44

I did. I tried clicking them one at a time, and both at once. It hasn't worked yet.
You noticed that the filters are listed twice in there?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Feb 2009 18:29

Try to add vfilter with selected filters to transcoding options, so it should be like
...acodec=vorb,ab=64,vfilter=sharpen...

kunukn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kunukn » 14 Feb 2010 12:19

Stumbled upon this post when searching google.
To save filter effects.

version VLC media player 1.0.5

First enable the gradient in the GUI. Go to Tools -> Preferences. Click Show settings all. Click Stream output -> Sout stream -> Transcode. Enable the Deinterlace video filter and the Gradient video filter in the Transcode stream output window and click save.

Now start a console or terminal. -v is for verbose output.
This code is for windows. If you use Mac or something else, you will have to adjust the command line. Here I have my input file in the test folder, the gradient type 0 is for non-color, 1 is color.
This will display the filter result and play it. Notice this will start a debug window up also, close this when done.
Test run
This takes a mov file and plays the filtered result.

Code: Select all

vlc -I dummy -v test\input.MOV --video-filter="gradient{type=0}"
Convert and save first version example.
This takes a mov file and converts it to mp4 with gradient filter.
Notice this will start a debug window up also, close this when done.

vlc -I dummy -v test\input.MOV --vout-filter="gradient{type=0}" --file-caching="20000" --sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024,scale=1,deinterlace,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=mp4,dst=test\output.mp4}"
You can append vlc://quit to the code if you want the debug window to auto close.
You can play with transcode types to create the video you want. Read about the transcode options.
http://wiki.videolan.org/Transcode.

The test run and the convert gave different quality result for me, probably because of my poor cpu.

At first the debug window gave some warnings and main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late, increasing pts_delay to 3000 ms, 3400 ms, 4400 ms. ... 15700 ms.
This why the --file-caching is set in the commandline with high enough number to avoid something is called too late.

EDIT
This script was much better for me, by increasing vb value the quality is good as preview.

Windows script, here I stop after 20 sec for test purpose
Convert and save example better version.

vlc -I dummy test\input.mov -v --vout-filter="gradient{type=0}" --file-caching="20000" --stop-time="20" --sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=8192,scale=1,deinterlace,audio-sync,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=standard{access=file,mux=ts,dst=test\output.mpg}}" vlc://quit

eyeland
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eyeland » 27 Oct 2012 01:10

Hi Kunukn, just found your script while I was (s)nuubing around and I am finally seeing some progress :D
I have a few issues though (possibly from trying to run it with 2.0.3) and I'd be very greatfull if you could help me out :)

Running your first script works flawlessly :)

vlc -I dummy -v "G:\Video\TESTX.mpg" --video-filter="gradient{type=0}"
The second one works, but gives me a very pixelated output.

The third one appears to work, but the output file has no video in it...
This is exactly what I run:

vlc -I dummy "G:\Video\TESTX.mpg" -v --vout-filter="gradient{type=0}" --file-caching="20000" --stop-time="20" --sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=8192,scale=1,deinterlace,audio-sync,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=standard{access=file,mux=ts,dst="G:\Video\TESTXnew4.mp4"}}"
I tried playing around a bit with output format and also reset all VLC settings to no avail.
In case it makes it any easier, I actually don't need the transcoding or the audio, but once I get this to work, I will need to apply several effects (sharpen, motion blur, grain and basic adjustments simultaneously if my CPU can handle it)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Videogamer555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Videogamer555 » 07 Mar 2014 16:54

Anything that is displayed in the normal VLC window, SHOULD get saved when "converting" or "streaming", but due to a bug introduced by the developers (who have NOT done due diligence in making sure that all aspects of their program work properly), the effects ONLY appear in the normal VLC playback window, and can NOT be saved, unless you take the time to write up some stupid script in a command prompt (maybe suitable for Linux users, but 99% of VLC users on Windows are NOT going to want to have to be bothered with this). This is a MAJOR BUG (not a small one), and SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE HIGHEST PRIORITY for the VLC developer team to fix in their next version!!!!!! (note: I'm using VLC 2.0.8, and this bug existed back in VLC 1.x.x, which means the devs are NOT placing the priority on bug fixes that they SHOULD be)

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 08 Mar 2014 16:57

eyeland
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eyeland » 09 Mar 2014 08:32

Don't know how much priority this issue has for the majority of VLC users but I would LOVE to be able to save/transcode videos with effects. :)

whitedeer3.14
New Cone
New Cone

Postby whitedeer3.14 » 23 Oct 2014 19:28

I've read through this thread and tried various options but to no avail, will keep trying though-- with that said

DEVELOPERS- if you are reading this- if this is made easily available to the average user VLC would be one of the best free video editors available- maybe that could be part of VLMC- just play the video, add desired effects, and save. My six year old could do it, and wants to really bad as he loves playing home movies with the different effects...

pants
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pants » 12 Jun 2017 07:51

In case anyone is still struggling with this I wanted to help with a (sad) workaround. I also had trouble transcoding a video with effects using VLC. In my case the filters were applied to the transcoded video but the output could only be viewed cleanly in VLC -- when viewed in other media players the video would display pixelated artifacts or incorrect colors (all green/red). I solved this by using another program to capture the screen while playing the file fullscreen in VLC with my desired visual effects :?

vinckles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vinckles » 26 Jun 2017 23:40

I am to slow on the uptake to understand all of the past threads on "Save video file with effect".
I so wan't to do the same thing: In my case Resync audio and remove hiss from audio using the audio filters.
After making those settings, what must I do in order to save the video to mp4 file type, which must be playable, not only on vlc but all other kinds of mp4 player, including Xmedia Recode converter and Freemake video converter, the latter being for the purpose of burning to dvd???
If you would be kind enough to number down all of the stages, I would be very grateful.
( I am using Windows 7 32 bit pc and vlc player from 2016, I think. Surely all versions of vlc player should be capable(?)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”