Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
asemere
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby asemere » 20 Dec 2008 23:40

the audio track of this QuickTime (.mov) example file is not being played back.

i use 0.9.8a.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Dec 2008 18:33

benwillcox: thx.

asemere: thx, trac ticket opened.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2368

steve333
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby steve333 » 21 Dec 2008 22:04

Firstly I'd like to add my thanks for the great efforts which have gone into making VideoLan.

Background
I just updated from 0.8.6d to 0.9.8a, I am runing on Windows XP (and now Vista).
I originally started using VideoLAN because it's one of the few tools which deals well with off-air recorded transport streams (in my case Topfield .REC files which also contain an arbitrary header).

I quickly discovered that it was highly useful for checking DVD's which I was creating (prior to burning them).
Not only did it correctly open the DVD directory (containing VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) created on my hard drive after authoring, but it correctly opened the (temporary) ISO file, so I could even check that if necessary before burning.

Imagine my horror on finding out that "Open Folder" now does a search for playlist items and then tries to play everything as independant files (.IFO, .BUP etc. as well as the .VOB files).
It no longer understood that the directory with VIDEO_TS in it was a DVD!

It turns out that the function I want is moved (hidden) in the "Open Disk" menu.
It is possible to "Browse" to the correct directory on the Hard Drive, though this is now VIDEO_TS rather than the DVD directory.

I hope that this information helps some other people whom I see had a similar initial reaction to me.

However I do have a couple of suggestions for improvement (which I will add to the suggestions topic):

1) The "Open Folder" fuction should be able to identify the presence of a VIDEO_TS subdirectory and act accordingly.
It would be a minor functional change, but greatly improve things as the "Open Disk" -> "Browse" route is user-unfriendly in Vista (see suggestions below).

If this is not possible or too difficult then I suggest a couple of improvements to the existing method, to make it more user-friendly for Vista users:

2) The "Browse" window could be bigger, or re-sizable, so that it is possible to navigate to the appropriate DVD directory in 5 clicks rather then 50.
In XP it is OK, but Vista produces a nasty little window less than half the size of XP.
3) The "Browse" window could default to opening "My Documents", rather than the program installation directory (which is a last place anyone is going to want to open a DVD).
Though I personally don't use "My Documents" for DVDs it would be closer.
In 0.8 on XP it would default to the root of the filesystem if the directory didn't exist, which is sensible enough.
4) The "Browse" window could remember the last place I opened a DVD, rather than defaulting to the DVD player device each time. v0.8 did this in XP.

Many thanks for anything you can do.

phasecactus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby phasecactus » 23 Dec 2008 11:14

About 1 in 10 times, I get no video upon opening a video file, be it avi, wmv, or mkv, and when I stop playback and start again, VLC freezes. This wouldn't even bother me that much except for what happens afterward:
after I close VLC, it stays running, taking up 49% of the CPU and about one time in three, ending the process crashes the entire computer, everything freezes exactly as it is, unresponsive, and I have to hard reset.
If anyone can offer an explanation, even a "you must have something dumb installed," I think it'd be a weight off my shoulders.

hallgarr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hallgarr » 23 Dec 2008 13:37

I'm new to using vlc but i'm having a problem with audio playback when playing a avi file or others. I donot get any audio when playing this files, files are good because when played on windows media player i have audio but not on vlc what can i do to get the audio. I'm using the latest version of vlc. Thanks hallgarr

HerrBert
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HerrBert » 23 Dec 2008 15:22

Solution to the dual screen issue when full screen mode force the player to the primary screen:

Tools-->Interface---->Uncheck Integrate Video in interface

Move the unattached video window to the secondary screen, maximize and it should work, does so for me anyway i Win XP.
Does not work 4 me
My V0.9.8a hasn't this MenuItem

http://www.imagehoster24.de/preview.php ... 2e8808.jpg

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Dec 2008 18:06

phasecactus: You have either broken hardware or bad device drivers. VLC itseld cannot crash your OS.

hallgarr: Have you tried Waveout audio output module?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... _anomalies

HerrBert:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... _window.3F

O-MEGA
New Cone
New Cone

Postby O-MEGA » 24 Dec 2008 13:07

i see some people are having problems with the new version of vlc media player just like me
my problem is that when playing a video in the player and then seeking to where i want it starts
to lag and takes about 3 - 4 mins to catch up after i know its not to do with my computer as ive used
other versions before and its worked ok then but now its this verions that im having problems with.

e.beckers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby e.beckers » 24 Dec 2008 21:24

I noticed a memory leak when :
- add a single movie to a playlist
- set playlist to repeat
- let vlc play the playlist

Each time the movie starts again, you'll see the number of open handles & memory usage increase
(in taskmanager or perfmon)

I used a 720p WMV movie as test case which you can download it here (16MB)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ca_720.exe

My primary usage of VLC is to setup a music-video-jukebox which plays music videos 24x7
but with the current version this is not possible due to the memory leak :-(

Erwin

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Dec 2008 02:39

valgrind it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 25 Dec 2008 17:51

Hello O-Mega,
J-B is aware of this Seek problem that takes more time in last versions of VLC, especially if the computer is a bit old.
He kindly answered me that Seek has to be quick (VLC 0.8.6i) or accurate (VLC 0.9.x), and it's impossible to have both at same time (that's the reason why I'm keeping 2 versions of VLC on my computer : the last one 0.9.8a that displays very correctly .flv files , and 0.8.6i that allows quick Seeks in .avi files on my old PC)

J-B, would it be possible in a future release to have a new option in configuration, asking if user wants the Seek to be quick or accurate ?

This would solve all Seek problems, as everyone would choose what fits the best for him, depending of his needs, his computer configuration etc...
As you already have the code for both Seeks, maybe it should be possible for you to integrate both Seek codes and let the user free to choose what kind of Seek he prefers ?
Merry Christmas to all of you and a Happy New Year :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Dec 2008 20:29

O-MEGA: you see libavcodec errors in message log when you seek?

e.beckers: Or try with 1.0.0

XxDangerxX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby XxDangerxX » 28 Dec 2008 16:06

VLC Media Player 0.9.8a produces a memory error or an illegal operation when streaming to a file. Here's the steps I took so you know the exact circumstances of the crash:
  1. Media > Convert / Save...
  2. Disc tab / Title = 1
  3. Chapter = 3
  4. Convert / Save button
  5. File check box - checked
  6. Filename = John_Farnham_In_Your_Hands.mpg
  7. Encapsulation tab / MPEG-TS radio button
  8. Video Codec tab / Video check box - checked
  9. Codec = MPEG-2
  10. Bitrate = 8000 kb/s
  11. Audio codec tab / Audio check box - checked
  12. Codec = MPEG Audio
  13. Bitrate = 224 kb/s
  14. Save button
At this point, VLC Media Player finds the track and then performs an illegal operation.

If I instead used the default MPEG-2 profile after step 6 rather than configuring my own custom settings, it would find the track then produce this error:
The instruction at "0x7c809783" referenced memory error at "0xfa830392". The memory could not be "written".
UPDATE:

I tried doing it again for various reasons but forgot to tick the Audio codec check box. It worked and streamed successfully. Seems the audio is causing this error...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Dec 2008 18:19

Yes, resampling is broken on 0.9 branch.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

hallgarr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hallgarr » 02 Jan 2009 05:21

Worked very well thanks hallgarr.

djtoodles
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby djtoodles » 03 Jan 2009 00:16

I seem to have a problem when i drag VLC from my laptop to my tv screen (tv screen is extended from desktop) and try to go to fullscreen the video automatically goes into full screen on the laptop even though the video was on the tv. then when i double click to go back to window mode it shows it on the tv again.

I switched back to 0.9.6 and it works fine. tried 0.9.8a again and it still is doing it. anyone know how to fix this?

treepoll
New Cone
New Cone

Postby treepoll » 03 Jan 2009 14:24

Hi,

I noticed a few problems with vlc 0.98a + Vista sp1 :
- When i play a DVD stored on the hard disc, at the switch from a chapter to an other the window that display the film is closed and reopened.
- When stored on the hard disc, the subtilte menu and audio track menu do not display the name of the track : [english] [français]...

I used dvd decrypter to rip the dvd on the hard disc.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Jan 2009 15:15

djtoodles: read previous page. And this should be fixed in 0.9.9

treepoll: You opened the VIDEO_TS folder using Media -> Open Disc... ?

furthur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby furthur » 03 Jan 2009 18:10

i've just installed the new version and lots of things seem to be greyed out, shown below (the first pic was actually while a video was playing, it just didn't show up in the screen grab).

ImageImage

as you can see, there's no progress bar, and there don't appear to be any borders on the menus. is this a problem with vlc or is my computer just gimping out?

Saribro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Saribro » 03 Jan 2009 21:01

My bet is your custom skinning engine (windowsblinds? stylexp?,...) is causing a mess.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Jan 2009 16:45

Saribro: your bet won :D

acid77
New Cone
New Cone

Postby acid77 » 04 Jan 2009 19:44

I seem to have a problem when i drag VLC from my laptop to my tv screen (tv screen is extended from desktop) and try to go to fullscreen the video automatically goes into full screen on the laptop even though the video was on the tv. then when i double click to go back to window mode it shows it on the tv again.
I switched back to 0.9.6 and it works fine. tried 0.9.8a again and it still is doing it. anyone know how to fix this?
I have the same problem. As soon as i switch vlc to fullscreen, it goes to my primary screen.

schnorginator

Postby schnorginator » 05 Jan 2009 05:55

Hello O-Mega,
J-B is aware of this Seek problem that takes more time in last versions of VLC, especially if the computer is a bit old.
He kindly answered me that Seek has to be quick (VLC 0.8.6i) or accurate (VLC 0.9.x), and it's impossible to have both at same time (that's the reason why I'm keeping 2 versions of VLC on my computer : the last one 0.9.8a that displays very correctly .flv files , and 0.8.6i that allows quick Seeks in .avi files on my old PC)

J-B, would it be possible in a future release to have a new option in configuration, asking if user wants the Seek to be quick or accurate ?
If it is true that seeking can't be both accurate and fast (I'm sure it could be both with some penalty such as CPU or RAM), and it is kept slower to be more accurate, at the very least audio should not advance instantly until the video has caught up. Having the sound being played for 5-30 seconds while the video is frozen due to some bug (happens only sporadically) is what occurs right now, alongside seeking crashes that have probably been fixed in the earlier 0.9.x versions. Sometimes I will pause and unpause quickly which will fix it, sometimes it doesn't help it.

fangji
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fangji » 05 Jan 2009 14:34

Oh Harl, does it work any better if you start DVD playback from commandline?

blinding, could you provide screenshot? :oops:

Excalibur
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Excalibur » 05 Jan 2009 17:53

Windows XP Sp3
VLC 0.9.8a and 0.9.4 same thing

I'm playing anime called Tokko with Dual Audio, mkv format.
Every episode has artifacts on screen and suddenly jumps few mins forward. It plays few sec ok then blocks appear, then jumps forward, then plays normally, and again blocks, and jump.

I tried GOM Player, and it plays them normally.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”