Adjusting Rate Control and frame skips

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Jossnaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Adjusting Rate Control and frame skips

Postby Jossnaz » 09 Dec 2008 10:48

Hi

VLC is adjusting the rate a lot when i do streaming from a new directshow device. This causes a lot of frame skips on the client side which did not occur when using a different dshow device where no rate adjusting took place. What does cause this rate adjusting and how to solve it? using a http cache of 15s did not help.

I just tried with

--sout-ffmpeg-rc-buffer-size=8192

i still get frame skips once in a while.

Second question would be is the usage of --no-drop-late-frames and --no-skip-frames a solution to the problem of frame skips for 1-2 seconds which occur in wireless networks sometimes?

thanks a lot guys

Jossnaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Adjusting Rate Control and frame skips

Postby Jossnaz » 11 Dec 2008 04:08

i maybe have to specify

the first dshow device I used was an S-Video grabber device. Rate control never occured here, not once. The second device I used was a VGA capture device which captures at 800x600 and a lot of rate adjusting occurs here. Does this likely depend on the high packet loss or higher CPU consumption?

does someone know what the logs

mux_ts debug adjusting rate at 0/1188111 (7/0)

means? i mean the numbers...

thanks a lot

Jossnaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Adjusting Rate Control and frame skips

Postby Jossnaz » 19 Dec 2008 01:22

i still cannot explain me why VLC is readjusting the rate. The video content stays the same and the wireless connection isnt changed either. Furthermore the stream sometimes slightly freezes although nothing is found in the logger.

smn has an idea for me?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”