Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
b0c1
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby b0c1 » 25 Nov 2008 12:48

Some problems with VLC 0.9.6

Srry I can't tell any good things about the 0.9 branch. It's totally unusable.
1. Video available ONLY in Windows GDI mode and Ascii mode. (Tested, avi, mpeg, DVD)
2. When I want to publish a stream with transcoding (DVD transcoding) MPEG2, MPEG4 or H264, the player crashed (Only Ogg/Theora work but it's slow a little bit).
3. I tried publis the stream in http/udp (when I already published a stream in udp, and I want to publis again, the window has rtp and udp text boxes in same time...) but the client (same network, no firewall) can't connect. only MMS stream work.
4. If I transcode the output stream to wmv it's going crazy.
5. If I exit from VLC, it's crash
6. In network selection some time the port selector enabled, some time not (example in http not visible, ok I know I can write the port with : suffix, but not all user know that...)
7. the vlc process is stay in the process list when I exit. (and if I start another vlc it's going to eat the CPU)

In VLC 0.8.6 if I create a stream from dvd and publish (with local playback) it's work... no crash, no problem.

tvller
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tvller » 25 Nov 2008 18:16

[quote="VLC_help"

tvller: --no-sout-keep does the same thing?
[/quote]

Yes, the problem seems coming from the playlist or add to playlist process. It's not the connection between two streaming songs, but there's only ONE song added to the playlist using Stream Dialog even though I chose quite a few songs. Thus, after streaming the only song added to the play list, there's nothing left to stream.

wks
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.9.6
Operating System: WXP

Postby wks » 26 Nov 2008 07:41

Sorry guys, but ver 0.9.6 for windows is tottaly unstable :cry: . I installed 0.8.6

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Nov 2008 09:11

Some problems with VLC 0.9.6

Srry I can't tell any good things about the 0.9 branch. It's totally unusable.
1. Video available ONLY in Windows GDI mode and Ascii mode. (Tested, avi, mpeg, DVD)
2. When I want to publish a stream with transcoding (DVD transcoding) MPEG2, MPEG4 or H264, the player crashed (Only Ogg/Theora work but it's slow a little bit).
3. I tried publis the stream in http/udp (when I already published a stream in udp, and I want to publis again, the window has rtp and udp text boxes in same time...) but the client (same network, no firewall) can't connect. only MMS stream work.
4. If I transcode the output stream to wmv it's going crazy.
5. If I exit from VLC, it's crash
6. In network selection some time the port selector enabled, some time not (example in http not visible, ok I know I can write the port with : suffix, but not all user know that...)
7. the vlc process is stay in the process list when I exit. (and if I start another vlc it's going to eat the CPU)

In VLC 0.8.6 if I create a stream from dvd and publish (with local playback) it's work... no crash, no problem.
1. Your VLC is obviously broken, or your graphic driver. Reset preferences and cache.
2. Messages, backtrace? Can you try with 0.9.7 ?
3. Messages?
5. Doing what? Reset preferences and cache.
6. Normal, as in 0.8.6
7 you obivously have a driver issue... Realtek ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Nov 2008 16:17

dev0: and you run single monitor setup?

jvdstoel1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jvdstoel1 » 26 Nov 2008 21:35

I fully agree that 0.9.x is not useful for stream encoding yet.

1.) Even worse, once you have installed it (just on a normal Quadcore Windows PC), and removed it (completely, so also removing directory, cleaning cache etc. according to the instructions I have found) once you install 0.8.6 back, some problems which were introduced by 0.9.x. still are present. For example, I am not able to start my command-line script anymore in 0.8.6. I have posted several topics about this issue, but it looks like the developers are very busy with other (new?) features or I am the only person facing these issues. My PC is a standard quad-core Intel CPU with Intel motherboard running XP home SP3.

2.) Once I try to install the nightly builds (to check if some of my problems have been solved...) I must conclude that these versions even do not run !!! After removing these from my system, I fortunately can install 0.8.6. and 0.9.x. again.

3.) In version 0.9.6 I want to start a live Darwin Streaming Server stream (from the menu, url is rtsp://vs01.cervus.nl:5001/unicast.sdp) but didn't succeed. After a lot of experimenting I discovered I had to set the option "Use RTP over RTSP (TCP)", far away in the "Extra -> Preferences" menu. Once I enter this URL in Quicktime (which I really do not like for many reasons...), it started playing immediately.

4.) Question: in VLC you can set the option to allow VLC to run multiple instances. Should this also be possible for H.264/AAC encoding? Currently it doesn't function (also not in 0.8.6). This would be a really nice feature, as transcoding is very CPU intensive, but a low-cost quad-core CPU should be very capable to do the job.

5.) Perhap I am a little negative about VLC in this topic, but this is a wrong understanding. I am extremely positive about it, because of the many nice features it has. But, the product unfortunately is not stable enough yet as I am still not able to make a reliable MPEG4 stream from the commandline using a Osprey-210 (BT878 chip) video capture card.

6.) My next step is to get this running also under Linux, but here I face other issues which I try to summarise in a later stage.

I look forward to receive your comments, as I really want to get this running smoothly!

Until now, I have spent many, many hours in testing and learned a lot about this really nice product. As my programming skills are quite limited, I am very happy to contribute with testing the product further.

Johan

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Nov 2008 23:30

1) You are wrong, 0.9.x and 0.8.6 cannot interfere, if you correctly uninstall those.
2) NB are unstable, and 0.9.7 NB work great.
3) How is that specific to 0.9x ?
4) You are mistaking multithread and multiinstance...
5) No messages, how can we help ?
6) are you sure you Osprey is readable on linux ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

jvdstoel1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jvdstoel1 » 26 Nov 2008 23:53

Dear j-b,

Thank you for your quick response.
1) I cannot help it, but I cannot get 0.8.6 working as before. I really cannot start encoding from the commandline anymore. I use to install it with Dutch language, but it could be I once installed from English version (or vise-versa). But on the other side, I cannot image the language used can be a reason. What I have done several times: uninstall (incl. clearing cache), remove Videolan directory. What can I do more?
2) I just have installed this version (vlc-0.9.7-git-win32.exe). Unfortunately I get an error message after starting up: "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" path does not exist. But vlc.exe are in c:\program files\videolan\vlc....
3) You are right. This also needed to be done in 0.8.6 (and probably also earlier versions). But can this behaviour be improved?
4) I meant to say that a multicore CPU should have enough processing power for encoding 2 H.264 streams - in case the requirements are not too high.
5) This is related to 1).
6) Yes, it is as I can view the captured image on the screed, but also encode it into a .MP4 file using x264. I must compliment the VLC/x264 team, at a really amazing quality!

dev0
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dev0 » 27 Nov 2008 00:15

dev0: and you run single monitor setup?
Ahhh..... I remember that I wanted to google for this issue because I'm running in dualhead right now. So as I just read your question I immediately disconnected my second monitor, removed %appdata%\vlc again, started VLC and there it was, the o so famous controller. After that I reconnected my second monitor and the controller is still there!

So I guess this problem is solved for now... at least I hope so. Thx vlc_help ;)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Nov 2008 16:58

jvdstoel1:
1. what error messages you get when you try to transcode? And how do you transcode?
2. how you start VLC? Shortcut or doubleclick vlc.exe?
4. depends about the settings you use.

jvdstoel1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jvdstoel1 » 27 Nov 2008 17:11

VLC_help:
1. See for example https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52892
2. Just as usual - doubleclick vlc.exe (I am a newbee in VLC, but not in using Windows!)
4. Please be more concrete - this is no answer (I 'm sorry)

Johan

cf001
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cf001 » 28 Nov 2008 02:43

Release 0.9.6 is unusable on Windows 2000 SP4 with all patches applied. If you close VLC, Windows dumps. At least one of the dumps reported that the problem was caused by an attempt to address a non-paged area.

No, it's not a hardware problem - 0.9.6 runs fine under openSUSE 11.0. No, it's not a driver problem because: version 0.8.6f runs fine; no errors are reported in the Event log; a quick look at the various dumps shows that they are not pointing to a particular driver; Windows can perform all operations with the Parallel-ATA DVD/CD drive.

How to reproduce: install VLC with default settings; insert an audio CD into a CD/DVD drive; VLC plays the disk; try to close VLC and good-bye Windows.

If it's possible to get a copy of the Debugging Symbols for VLC, I can re-install 0.9.6 and then analyse the dumps (I have 4 mini-dumps and 1 user dump available so far).

Possible causes: the computer is a dual-processor dual-core machine (AMD Opteron); perhaps VLC requires particular versions of core Windows dll's; perhaps VLC requires certain Windows components (e.g. .Net, Visual Basic Runtime x); perhaps QT4 requires something to be installed under Windows 2000.

gawd0r
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gawd0r » 28 Nov 2008 16:22

Has anyone experienced any problems playing back WMV within browsers? I just installed 0.9.6 and am using Firefox 3.0.4 on Win XP Pro SP3; no .WMV videos are loading or playing back in my browser. The black screen shows up and indicates "Loading...", and it just remains there. The previous version of VLC worked fine. VLC seems to only work sometimes when attempting to open from a remote file location: i.e http://someplace.com/video.wmv

I think I will roll back to 0.8.6 for now.

Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 29 Nov 2008 14:14

cf001: in OS crashes, it is either hardware or driver issues. Earlier VLC running OK doesn't mean that your hardware is OK or that your device drivers are correctly coded. If software runs bad, OS can kill it. Same doesn't apply to all drivers.

jvdstoel1: x264 encoding is broken in VLC. Hopefully it will be fixed in future. And x264 encoding speeds depends about the settings you use. You can easily get 120 FPS encoding speed if you have PSP compatible encoding, but if you are going to do Blu-ray level encoding, it is going to be SLOW. Windows isn't case sensitive, so small or big chars in paths shouldn't matter.

gawd0r: should be fixed in 0.9.7 nightlies.

jvdstoel1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jvdstoel1 » 29 Nov 2008 16:22

Hereby my latest status on my questions:
1a. Does anyone know which is the latest version were x264/aac encoding works properly?
1b. Is the reason the x264 encoding is broken only a Windows issue, or also a Linux issue?
4. I understood from j-b it is possible to create 2 encoding streams at the same time using one instance of VLC. We are going to test this feature -;)

minkukel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minkukel » 30 Nov 2008 04:48

Hi Everybody !

I have the following problem in release 0.9.6 as well as in 0.8.6.
When I use a m3u playlist (maybe when I use an other kind of playlist too) I get the message ".. can't acces file .." (the displayed directies path is correct), if I use the VLC without a playlist so direct for a .pgm movie it is ok. The .pgm movies are located in my pc (not on the internet, but that gives the same problem).
What can be the problem you think ?

Thank you already if you have an idea.

This is my palylist :

#EXTM3U // Required to identify this file as m3u file
#EXTVLCOPT--input-repeat=1 // repeat the following file/playlist
#EXTINF:0, Test Description // set the title for the following file shown in your playlist
bailey.mpg // the actual file to be displayed

These are the message I get :

main info: Start vlc met standaard interface. Gebruik 'cvlc' om vlc zonder interface te gebruiken.
access_directory error: C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg // the actual file to be displayed: No such file or directory
access_file error: cannot open file C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg // the actual file to be displayed (Invalid argument)
main error: open of `C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg // the actual file to be displayed' failed: could not create access: no suitable access module
Last edited by minkukel on 01 Dec 2008 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Dec 2008 13:50

jvdstoel1: AFAIK x264 bug only bothers Windows, 0.8.6 should have working x264 (and hopefully soon also 0.9.x)

minkukel: could you share a playlist that causes you problems?

minkukel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minkukel » 01 Dec 2008 19:11

jvdstoel1: AFAIK x264 bug only bothers Windows, 0.8.6 should have working x264 (and hopefully soon also 0.9.x)

minkukel: could you share a playlist that causes you problems?
Hi VCL_help !

I have added the information in my previous message.
I start it from the directory with this playlist, so I click on this playlist.

Regards

minkukel

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Dec 2008 07:54

minkukel: your playlist works fine in here, are you sure you have file C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg?
So if you run

Code: Select all

vlc.exe C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg
from command-line, it works OK?

claurita
New Cone
New Cone

Postby claurita » 03 Dec 2008 19:32

When using 16 bit colour depth, the colours are totally mistaken.
Tried everything.
On 0.8.6 it works fine.
Regards
Claudio

minkukel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minkukel » 04 Dec 2008 05:03

minkukel: your playlist works fine in here, are you sure you have file C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg?
So if you run

Code: Select all

vlc.exe C:\OOAData\Fixed\OSCommerce\EU-maat\bailey.mpg
from command-line, it works OK?
Hi VCL_help !

Yes this works, it is very strange ..

Regards,

minkukel

vibes992000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.86i
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby vibes992000 » 05 Dec 2008 10:25

guess what .. I have ALREADY switched back to vlc version 0.86i !!
vibs

UserDoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby UserDoc » 05 Dec 2008 14:08

Good idea to switch back! ... but it does not solve all problems!
I cant use vlc any more!
I tried to update by de-installing the version 0.8.6 and then then installing 0.9.8.
The version 0.9.8. did not start do to missing adjustment or something like this and a switch back ... oh wonder... does not start ether!
Great job!

GoodGuy98
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GoodGuy98 » 05 Dec 2008 16:24

I am also having a problem trying to start VLC 0.9.8a. It gives me an error message:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may
fix this problem."

I deleted preferences and cache each time I installed it and that didn't help. I also deleted the folder C:\Program Files\VideoLAN manually after an uninstall left it just to be as clean as possible. In each attempt, I allowed it to
uninstall the previous version.

In my case it allows me to fall back to VLC 0.9.7, so it's not a total show stopper.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Dec 2008 17:00

I am also having a problem trying to start VLC 0.9.8a. It gives me an error message:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may
fix this problem."

I deleted preferences and cache each time I installed it and that didn't help. I also deleted the folder C:\Program Files\VideoLAN manually after an uninstall left it just to be as clean as possible. In each attempt, I allowed it to
uninstall the previous version.

In my case it allows me to fall back to VLC 0.9.7, so it's not a total show stopper.
Maybe because you use a NON-official VERSION?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”