System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'libvlc'

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
SimonDotException
New Cone
New Cone

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'libvlc'

Postby SimonDotException » 30 Nov 2008 10:16

Hi folks.

I'm trying to write a C# windows forms application which will use libvlc to play media files from the local hard disk. On my travels around this forum and other VLC related sites, I found three wrappers which all look like good candidates for allowing me to use libvlc from within a .net application:

http://meedios.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... n.Interop/
http://wiki.videolan.org/.Net_Interface_to_VLC (although this one says it's not guaranteed for versions other than 0.8.6 and 0.8.6a)
http://www.2shared.com/file/3435685/4dd ... apper.html

But with all three, I'm finding that the first time the wrapper attempts to call any of the unmanaged code, the app throws an exception:

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'libvlc': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

I have copied libvlc.dll and the plugins folder from my VLC installation folder into the /bin/Debug folder alongside the main executable of my application, but it seems that this is not where the runtime is looking for those files...?

This is the first time I've tried calling unmanaged code from a .net application, so I imagine I'm making some trivial schoolboy error, however nothing I've found on this forum nor on MSDN has enlightened me as to what my error is.

Any pointers in the right direction would be gratefully received :)

I am using the libvlc etc from VLC version 0.9.6, I am using SharpDevelop 3.0 to build my project against .net 2.0, and I'm doing all this on a Windows XP PC.

Cheers,

Simon.

SimonDotException
New Cone
New Cone

Re: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'libvlc'

Postby SimonDotException » 30 Nov 2008 14:25

Some more information...

I used http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to try and work out exactly what is missing from the dependency tree, and it is reporting that two files, dwmapi.dll and efsadu.dll, could not be found.

It is also reporting problems with two further files:

\windows\system32\shlwapi.dll has an unresolved C function called #467
\windows\system32\mpr.dll has an unresolved C function called WNetRestoreConnectionA

Presumably these unresolved functions are caused by the fact that those first two files are missing? Any ideas where I can get them from and where they should go (e.g. in system32)?

Simon.

SimonDotException
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonDotException » 30 Nov 2008 17:47

Further research turned up this post http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 6345f2bc2/ which blames Internet Explorer 7 for referencing dwmapi.dll, which is a part of Windows Vista and is not supplied with XP. I installed IE 8 beta 2 and that seems to have resolved the missing dwmapi.dll and the unresolved reference in shlwapi.dll

However I am still missing efsadu.dll, and I'm still getting the DllNotFoundException. Apparently efsadu.dll is only installed if the Encrypting File System is enabled, so why would libvlc be trying to load it?

Curiously, VLC itself seems to work just fine.

d3x0r
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby d3x0r » 01 Dec 2008 22:57

I found adding both the vlc directory and vlc/plugins directory to the environment variable PATH worked wonders with an issue similar to this.

SimonDotException
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonDotException » 02 Dec 2008 22:52

I found adding both the vlc directory and vlc/plugins directory to the environment variable PATH worked wonders with an issue similar to this.
Thank you for the suggestion, that seems to have resolved it. At least I'm not getting the DllNotFoundException any more.

I'm running the test harness included in the wrapper at http://www.2shared.com/file/3435685/4dd ... apper.html, using a batch file along the lines of:

path I:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC;%path%
Marx_libvlc_wrapper_test.exe
pause

... and I've copied the plugins folder into my bin/Debug folder, although I haven't copied libvlc.dll, and I'm now listening to the test harness playing some music to me :)

I did try adding the plugins folder to the path variable instead of copying it to bin/Debug, but then I got some other errors:

[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.6 Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--host=i586-mingw32msvc' '--build=i386-linux' '--enable-mkv'
'--enable-release' '--without-contrib' '--enable-nls' '--enable-shared-libvlc' '--enable-update-check' '--enable-lua' '--enable-faad
' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-quicktime' '--enable-real' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-ffmpeg' '-
-with-ffmpeg-mp3lame' '--with-ffmpeg-faac' '--with-ffmpeg-config-path=/usr/win32/bin' '--with-ffmpeg-zlib' '--enable-live555' '--wit
h-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.com' '--ena
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000001] main libvlc error: no memcpy module matched "any"
[00000007] main access error: no access module matched "file"
[00000006] main input error: open of `file/xspf-open://I:\Documents and Settings\simon\Application Data\vlc\ml.xspf' failed: could n
ot create access: no access module matched "file"
[00000010] main interface error: no interface module matched "hotkeys,none"
[00000010] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "hotkeys,none" initialization failed
*** LibVLC Exception not handled: No active input
Set a breakpoint in 'libvlc_exception_not_handled' to debug.
[00000013] main access error: no access module matched "http"
[00000011] main input error: open of `http://160.79.128.61:7244' failed: could not create access: no access module matched "http"

... and no music :(

So my conclusions....

1) If I want to avoid messing with the path environment variable, I probably need to copy something else besides libvlc.dll to the executable folder, and
2) It doesn't seem possible to point to the plugins folder using the path environment variable, the whole folder needs to be copied into the executable folder.

d3x0r
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby d3x0r » 02 Dec 2008 23:57

You can adjust PATH within the context of just your program... if you had a setting which as base_vlc_path or soemthing, you don't have to set the PATH in a permanent way outside of your program.

And, I have the plugins folder in my dynamic path (as added to by my application) and loading them all work fine. No copy, just using VLC in its initial location.

dlfl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dlfl » 03 Dec 2008 09:35

See my post regarding the wrapper from the Medios link.

You shouldn't have to copy any dll's or plugins anywhere if you pass the VLC installation folder path as the argument of the VideoLanClient constructor. You should be able to get this path from the registry. On one XP computer I checked it was located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VideoLAN\VLC with the name InstallDir. Visual Studio C# has functions that make this easy. This means your software doesn't require any configuration or file copying as long as VLC player is installed.

SimonDotException
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonDotException » 05 Dec 2008 00:28

Thanks folks. I've written this helper class for locating the VLC installation and plugins folder, and for adding them to the path environment variable without messing about with .bat files.

Code: Select all

using System; using Microsoft.Win32; // for registry access using System.IO; // for Path namespace Simon { /// <summary> /// Static class containing methods and properties which are useful when /// using libvlc from a .net application. /// </summary> public static class VlcHelpers { private static string _vlcInstallationFolder; #region AddVlcToPath method /// <summary> /// Looks in the registry to see where VLC is installed, and temporarily /// adds that folder to the PATH environment variable, so that the /// runtime is able to locate libvlc.dll and other libraries that it /// depends on, without needing to copy them all to the folder where /// your application is. /// </summary> public static void AddVlcToPath() { // Get the current value of the PATH environment variable string currentPath = Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable( "PATH" ); System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine( "Current path: " + currentPath ); // Concatenate the VLC installation and plugins folders onto the // current path string newPath = VlcInstallationFolder + ";" + VlcPluginsFolder + ";" + currentPath; System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine( "New path: " + newPath ); // Update the PATH environment variable Environment.SetEnvironmentVariable( "PATH", newPath ); } #endregion #region VlcInstallationFolder property /// <summary> /// Gets the location of the folder where VLC is installed, from the /// registry. /// </summary> public static string VlcInstallationFolder { get { if( _vlcInstallationFolder == null ) { RegistryKey vlcKey = Registry.LocalMachine.CreateSubKey( @"SOFTWARE\VideoLAN\VLC" ); _vlcInstallationFolder = (string) vlcKey.GetValue( "InstallDir" ) + Path.DirectorySeparatorChar; vlcKey.Close(); } return _vlcInstallationFolder; } } #endregion #region VlcPluginsFolder property /// <summary> /// Gets the location of the VLC plugins folder. /// </summary> public static string VlcPluginsFolder { get { return VlcInstallationFolder + "plugins" + Path.DirectorySeparatorChar; } } #endregion } }
And now all three wrappers seem to be quite happily referencing libvlc.dll from it's home in the VLC installation folder without having to copy it anywhere, provided I add a call to that AddVlcToPath method before any attempt is made to call any of the libvlc code (I've put it right at the beginning of the Main method in Program.cs in each case).

But I don't seem to be able to reference the plugins folder the same way. The VlcUserControl seems to be OK without its own copy of that folder (subject to another issue - see below), but the Meedios and Marx wrappers seem to need their own copies.

If I run the Meedios wrapper without its own copy of the plugins folder, I get the following:
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.6 Grishenko - (c) 1
996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--host=i5
86-mingw32msvc' '--build=i386-linux' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-release' '--withou
t-contrib' '--enable-nls' '--enable-shared-libvlc' '--enable-update-check' '--en
able-lua' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-twolame' '
--enable-quicktime' '--enable-real' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--wit
h-ffmpeg-mp3lame' '--with-ffmpeg-faac' '--with-ffmpeg-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
' '--with-ffmpeg-zlib' '--enable-live555' '--with-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.c
om' '--ena
[00000007] main access error: no access module matched "file"
[00000006] main input error: open of `file/xspf-open://I:\Documents and Settings
\simon\Application Data\vlc\ml.xspf' failed: could not create access: no access
module matched "file"
[00000010] main interface error: no interface module matched "hotkeys,none"
[00000010] main interface error: no suitable interface module
State: Opening
[00000013] main access error: no access module matched "dvb"
[00000011] main input error: open of `dvb://' failed: could not create access: n
o access module matched "dvb"
State: Error
Followed by a
System.Exception: No active video output
at VideoLan.libvlc_exception_t.CheckException() in i:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\VlcWrapper\VideoLan.Interop\InteropMethods.cs:line 49
at VideoLan.VlcVideo.set_FullScreen(Boolean value) in i:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\VlcWrapper\VideoLan.Interop\VLC\VlcVideo.cs:line 56
at DVBsharp.MainClass.Main(String[] args) in i:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\VlcWrapper\VideoLan.Interop.Example\Program.cs:line 87
... whereas if I run it with its own copy of the plugins folder, I get
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.6 Grishenko - (c) 1
86-mingw32msvc' '--build=i386-linux' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-release' '--withou
t-contrib' '--enable-nls' '--enable-shared-libvlc' '--enable-update-check' '--en
able-lua' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-twolame' '
--enable-quicktime' '--enable-real' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--wit
h-ffmpeg-mp3lame' '--with-ffmpeg-faac' '--with-ffmpeg-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
' '--with-ffmpeg-zlib' '--enable-live555' '--with-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.c
om' '--ena
[00000740] main input error: open of `dvb://' failed: could not create access
... followed by the same "No active video output" exception.

(OK, it's still not working, but I'm guessing that's a separate issue to the problem of calling the unmanaged code).

Meanwhile if I run the Marx wrapper without its own copy of the plugins folder, I get
om' '--ena
[00000359] main access error: no access module matched "file"
[00000358] main input error: open of `file/xspf-open://I:\Documents and Settings
\simon\Application Data\vlc\ml.xspf' failed: could not create access: no access
module matched "file"
[00000362] main interface error: no interface module matched "hotkeys,none"
[00000362] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000365] main access error: no access module matched "http"
[00000363] main input error: open of `http://160.79.128.61:7244' failed: could n
ot create access: no access module matched "http"
... and if I run it with its own copy of the plugins folder, I get
om' '--ena
[00000379] access_http access: Raw-audio server found, mp3 demuxer selected
and music streamed to me across the internet :)

These results are the same, regardless of whether or not my AddVlcToPath method adds the plugins folder to the path environment variable or not.
See my post regarding the wrapper from the Medios link.

You shouldn't have to copy any dll's or plugins anywhere if you pass the VLC installation folder path as the argument of the VideoLanClient constructor. You should be able to get this path from the registry. On one XP computer I checked it was located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VideoLAN\VLC with the name InstallDir. Visual Studio C# has functions that make this easy. This means your software doesn't require any configuration or file copying as long as VLC player is installed.
I've done just that, and I've found the Meedios wrapper works just fine with or without its own copy of the plugins folder, as long as I pass the result of my VlcInstallationFolder property to the VideoLanClient constructor.

This is what I'm getting from that wrapper now:
om' '--ena
[00001092] main input error: open of `dvb://' failed: could not create access
(I'm using the code posted by BexX at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47385&start=90#p173109 to do this)

I guess this means my unmanaged DLL resolution issues are resolved now for the Meedios wrapper, and I just need to do some more reading to find out what dvb:// is and what tweaks I need to make to BexX's code to point it at media files from my local disk.

Back to the VlcUserControl...

I now find that, when I call the AddVlcToPath method from the Main method of Program.cs in the windows forms app which contains this control, I get the following written to the Debug stream:
System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'vlc_current_object' in DLL 'libvlc'.
at VLanControl.NativeLibVlc.vlc_current_object(Int32 i_object)
at VLanControl.NativeLibVlc.set_Volume(Int32 value) in i:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\VlcWrapper\VLanControl\NativeLibVlc.cs:line 1087
at VLanControl.VlcUserControl.set_Volume(Int32 value) in i:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\VlcWrapper\VLanControl\VlcUserControl.cs:line 379
at VlcWrapper.MainForm..ctor() in i:\Documents and Settings\simon\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\VlcWrapper\VlcWrapper\MainForm.cs:line 49
And this happens regardless of whether or not it has its own copy of the plugins folder. I guess this exception has been caught and handled, but does it mean I'm still missing a reference to part of libvlc or its dependents?

Return to “Development around libVLC”