Missing srt subtitles

*nix specific usage questions
jgg
Cone that earned his stripes

Missing srt subtitles

Postby jgg » 20 Nov 2008 12:32

Hi there,

I have created a simple srt subtitles file with GNOME subtitles editor and, after checking in the preview window that it was properly synchronized I tried it with VLC but I got no subtitles at all.

These are the output messages:

Code: Select all

main debug: forced subtitle: /contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt main debug: `/contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt' gives access `' demux `' path `/contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt' main debug: creating access '' path='/contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt' main debug: looking for access module: 6 candidates vcd debug: trying .cue file: /contents/rock_GARBAGE.cue vcd debug: could not find .cue file access_mmap debug: opening file /contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt main debug: using access module "access_mmap" main debug: TIMER module_Need() : 0.173 ms - Total 0.173 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.173 ms) main debug: Using AStream*Block main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data for our buffer access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='subtitle' path='/contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt' main debug: looking for demux module: 3 candidates access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file main debug: UTF-8 BOM detected vobsub debug: this doesn't seem to be a vobsub file main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist subtitle debug: Movie fps: -1.000000 subtitle debug: autodetecting subtitle format access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file main debug: UTF-8 BOM detected access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file subtitle debug: detected SubRIP format subtitle debug: loading all subtitles... access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file main debug: UTF-8 BOM detected access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file access_mmap debug: at end of memory mapped file subtitle debug: loaded 1 subtitles main debug: selecting program id=0 main debug: using demux module "subtitle" main debug: TIMER module_Need() : 0.763 ms - Total 0.763 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.763 ms) main debug: looking for a subtitle file in /contents/ main debug: autodetected subtitle: /contents/rock_GARBAGE.srt with priority 4 main debug: looking for decoder module: 29 candidates subsdec debug: trying configured character encoding: UTF-8 main debug: using decoder module "subsdec"

"main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist"

Is this the error causing missing subitles? What should I do to solve it?

Thanks,
Javi

ivoire
VLC version: trunk
Operating System: linux (debian sid)

Re: Missing srt subtitles

Postby ivoire » 21 Nov 2008 16:45

What's your version of vlc ?

jgg

Postby jgg » 21 Nov 2008 22:26

jgg

Postby jgg » 25 Nov 2008 10:28

I've just tested the same srt file and content with VLC under Windows XP and it works properly. Any idea about what I'm missing here? Does the srt file need to be in the same directory where the video file is? However, I've tried it and it doesn't work at all. Am I missing any module in VLC installation? I compiled it just with prefix and --with-live555-tree options; the other modules were configured in a default way.

ivoire

Postby ivoire » 27 Nov 2008 17:01

If you want vlc to auto detect the presence of subtitles, they have to be in the same directory, with the same name (except for the extension)

jgg

Postby jgg » 27 Nov 2008 18:10

The point is that the srt file has the same name with srt extension, but being or not in the same directory, I get the previous error and no subtitles at all.

jgg

Postby jgg » 01 Dec 2008 10:13

Any idea?

ivoire

Postby ivoire » 01 Dec 2008 16:47

I don't know.
Maybe you need to reset you preferences...

tallfred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tallfred » 22 Jan 2009 04:19

The upper/lower case of filenames matters on Linux/Unix, but not on Microsoft filesystems. If the subtitles work on Windows XP, this is probably the problem. Make sure the filenames match exactly (except for extension, of course).

jgg

Postby jgg » 22 Jan 2009 11:41

Thank you for your answer. Anyway, I had checked that both names were the same and case matching. I think that the problem can have something to do with the error message I quoted in the first post, but I don't know how to solve it.

Any idea would be much appreciated.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”