Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Laurentwb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby Laurentwb » 01 Nov 2008 16:14

Deinterlacing settings are not saved in 0.9.4.
Was working fine in 0.8.6.

Regards.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Nov 2008 19:30

Laurentwb, you can set those via Tools -> Preferences...

Zeppy, skins that use transparent PNG images don't work. Hopefully this is fixed in next release.

STFU, QT4 and your custom windows decoration issue, won't be fixed by us (up to QT4 devs). You can use skins2 interface.

NightmareSoul , same options should exist on 0.9.4, at least in my QT4 UI
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5268 ... ickwb4.jpg

howdr and oatbiscuit, with ALL media files, or only video/audio files?

Laurentwb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Laurentwb » 01 Nov 2008 19:40

Thanks.

I know that. I try to explain you that it does not work. Nothing is saved ! I check the deinterlace filter and I check a deinterlacing mode in it. Deinteralcing works for a time, up the next time I change of TV channel or close VLC.
This was working perfectly in 0.8.6, demonstrating that I know how to use it.
Last thing to know : A few people using a program called AdslTV, based on VLC, reported the same issue.

By the way, I never found a way to show advanced preferences as default. I wonder if it is the same problem.

Do you understand what I mean (my mother language is not english) ?

Thanks.

howdr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby howdr » 01 Nov 2008 19:44

Zeppy, skins that use transparent PNG images don't work. Hopefully this is fixed in next release.

STFU, QT4 and your custom windows decoration issue, won't be fixed by us (up to QT4 devs). You can use skins2 interface.

NightmareSoul , same options should exist on 0.9.4, at least in my QT4 UI
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5268 ... ickwb4.jpg

9.4 when I try to exit it stays on in memory as a process, it then reports it has stopped (Vista) yes all videos AVI/MPG

I have used. I have to go to process manager to shut down.

1.0 Nightly 11/1 and 10/31 both crash as soon as I try to start. The famous Windows Vista "there's an error and had to close" message. ? Is there an error reporting program I should get so I can post what it may be somehow?

NightmareSoul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NightmareSoul » 01 Nov 2008 19:59

VLC_Help : I must admit that is a bit confussing, I know my attemps to get the list to appear were never fruitful, maybe it's an inconsistencey between other programs that may interfere with the coding on my system that are not on yours, but once again thank you for the prompt response .

Zeppy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zeppy » 01 Nov 2008 22:55

VLC_Help> Zeppy, skins that use transparent PNG images don't work. Hopefully this is fixed in next release.

Thanks! (That was fast!) I use the Winamp5 skin. I don't know if it uses transparent PNGs. I'll try the next VLC version, though. Cheers.

Blaman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Blaman » 02 Nov 2008 01:31

Hey, I read through the rest of the thread, couldnt seem to find a solution.
I am having the same issues as two people who have posted here with menus.

I have tried on three machines all using 0.9.4; XP SP1, XP SP2 and XP SP3. (yes my machines arnt all patched the same.. im lazy.)

When I start some DVDs and play from the auto-start, or even if I use the 'Open Disk' function, its the same issue - the menus dont work correctly and in some cases have simply 'frozen' the playing of the movie. One movie for example, Shaun of the Dead, the initial menu shows then displays some government crap for 25 seconds. ~7 seconds into the gov crap the timer starts lagging... starts taking 2-4 seconds to tick over 1 second in VLC. after about 30 seconds or so in real time, VLC just freezes and doesnt go any further, the only way to make VLC respond is to close it... and it usually crashes out.
And those having DVD issues, does it help if you start DVD without menus option (aka dvdsimple)?
Yes, it does. I can play the movie title itself by starting the movie without menus, then using the navigation options to navigate to the applicable title/chapter to begin the actual movie.

If there is any sort of logging that I can provide to help resolve this issue, im more than happy to help.

oatbiscuit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oatbiscuit » 02 Nov 2008 05:15

I just tested it on the 2 formats I've got on my computer - .mpg and .ogg. After playing the .mpg video/audio and closing the player, there was no error, but after playing the ogg vorbis format audio and closing, it gave the error.

Laurentwb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Laurentwb » 02 Nov 2008 10:09

Thanks.

I know that. I try to explain you that it does not work. Nothing is saved ! I check the deinterlace filter and I check a deinterlacing mode in it. Deinteralcing works for a time, up the next time I change of TV channel or close VLC.
This was working perfectly in 0.8.6, demonstrating that I know how to use it.
Last thing to know : A few people using a program called AdslTV, based on VLC, reported the same issue.

By the way, I never found a way to show advanced preferences as default. I wonder if it is the same problem.

Do you understand what I mean (my mother language is not english) ?

Thanks.
Up.
May I consider that this will be taken into account in one of the next revisions ?
(great software, by the way. Many thanks for that).

Laurent

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Nov 2008 10:23

Laurentwb, you have chosen the deinterlace options and set the deinterlace on from Video -> Filters (under Video output filter module)?

oatbiscuit and howdr, nightlies are broken ATM. Reason why I ask what media files cause this, is because if the audio only files don't cause problems, the issue is most likely in video output code. And if there is some file, that will always cause issues and you could share that file, it would help.

Blaman, Tools -> Messages... (set Verbosity to 2) before playback.

jeanloup13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jeanloup13 » 03 Nov 2008 10:38

Current version crashes when I do the following on my PC with Windows XP SP3:
1) add podcast : "http://www.europe1.fr/rss_export/feed/r ... -canteloup" then display "liste de lecture" --> no problem :D
2) add podcast: "http://radiofrance-podcast.net/podcast/rss_10009.xml" then display "liste de lecture" --> VLC crashes :( !!!

These 2 podcast links work very well on iTunes !
Everything else OK !

Laurentwb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Laurentwb » 03 Nov 2008 11:33

Laurentwb, you have chosen the deinterlace options and set the deinterlace on from Video -> Filters (under Video output filter module)?
Yes. That's exactly what I try to explain.

This was working perfectly in 0.8.6 and does not work in 0.9.4

Regards.

STFU
New Cone
New Cone

Postby STFU » 03 Nov 2008 16:39

I read something about key beeing eaten by vlc on windows and metadata getting lost are these screens exactly that or am I dealing with another problem

Image Image

Can someone just tell me if this is a normal problem in windows or does anybody know what the hell is going on with vlc in these screens.
I managed to install vlc on a different pc also on windows xp, no problem you can see everything normal in the preferences and while playing a file. So I wonder what can be the problem that causes those screens because evidently it isn't a common issue, condsidering it work on a different pc with windows.
Either way you suggest to use the sins2 interface, I maanged to find it and set it to skins2 but on my pc as well the other pc, the one on whick vlc does work, crash everytime after I set the skins2 interface and restart vlc. Anyone got a clue cause I'd really like to enjoy al those new features.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Nov 2008 13:20

jeanloup13: thanks for the info

Laurentwb: there are both Video output filter module and video filter module sections under Video -> Filters

STFU: as I said, you use some customs window decoration software (windowsblinds, etc.) that causes the issue. And currently you can only use skins that don't use transparent PNG files. This issue will be hopefully fixed in next release.

STFU
New Cone
New Cone

Postby STFU » 04 Nov 2008 15:53

STFU: as I said, you use some customs window decoration software (windowsblinds, etc.) that causes the issue. And currently you can only use skins that don't use transparent PNG files. This issue will be hopefully fixed in next release.
I'm sorry I've been using that for such a long time I didn't realize what windows decoration meant, it good to know what the problem is now, got the skins working, I had to set the interface to skinnable and select dthe skin manually otherwise it crashed, I assumed once put the skin in the default folder the skin would be detected automatically but never mind, I'll be patiently waiting for the fix THNX

Laurentwb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Laurentwb » 05 Nov 2008 10:31

Laurentwb: there are both Video output filter module and video filter module sections under Video -> Filters
Yes. Thanks.
Done for both and doesn't work.
It really looks like a bug ...

razzmatazman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby razzmatazman » 05 Nov 2008 15:39

Very Irritating bug in the VLC 9.x series so far.
Occurs only If video is played separately from the main interface (Settings..Interface...Integrate Video in Interface option unticked)
If video is played full screen and then full screen mode exited it just maximizes the video window, and not returning it to the original size like it should.

Same thing also occurs if any skin is used that does not have video integrated with main interface.

Does anyone have a fix for this ???????

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Nov 2008 15:51

razzmatazman: fix requires code changes.

bobinmk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bobinmk » 06 Nov 2008 18:46

The VLC 0.9.4 freezes when playing an .avi file the sound goes on the video gets freezes and when restarted its at times fine also along with the Pause button seems less responsive when pausing a scene and then revoked to play do consider to resolve on the next release

oatbiscuit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oatbiscuit » 07 Nov 2008 01:46

By way of update, I took 0.9.4 off and tried 0.8.6. There was no error when closing the player after playing the ogg vorbis files on version 0.8.6.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Nov 2008 18:41

bobinmk, could you provide sample AVI that shows this error?

oatbiscuit, http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/listen/41_30secOgg-b64M.ogg that file also crashes VLC if you close VLC after playback? (because for me it works without issues)

jqdwd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jqdwd » 07 Nov 2008 22:49

two problems:

1 - affecting the newest public release and at least the 2-3 versions before, as well as the nightly build from today: certain non-scene avi files video-freeze in between about first 2 minutes.

codec info of such a file: stream0: dx50, 720x528 framerate 25.000000, stream1: mpga, 44100 Hz, 128 kb/s

edit: problem does not exist in earlier versions, this here works fine with the same video. http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/video ... -win32.exe

edit2: i´ve uploaded the SAMPLE .avi of the movie to rapid if anyone wants to check. the full movie is 1,5gb so i cant up it. dunno if problems occurs in sample too but maybe it helps you guys to fix the newer versions of vlc of this bug! good luck! http://rapidshare.com/files/161630362/sample.avi.html

2 - ALL newer .mpg files of realitykings/cumfiesta dont work! Older episodes all work perfect but the newer episodes make vlc always freeze after about 20 seconds of play!

oatbiscuit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oatbiscuit » 08 Nov 2008 05:31

that file also crashes VLC if you close VLC after playback?
Thanks, I tried playing that file and, no, it didn't crash. (I also tried some of the existing files again and they didn't crash it every time, either...)

One thing that I noticed when I played your file is that, when I closed the player after playing it, there was a short burst of the music, but with the "problem" files, there was the error message.

The files were created by recording my vinyl records into the computer, using Audacity.

(I've also noticed an error when closing down Windows - DDE Server Window not responding, I don't know if that's related to this issue at all.)

niaz001
New Cone
New Cone

Postby niaz001 » 08 Nov 2008 06:08

windows don't resize to previous setting after full-screen used : play a movie, use full screen, go back to "windows" size : it use the screen resolution, not the previous one.
- interface->main interface->qt show a controller in full screen (activated) and show playing name in windows title (desactivated) don't seems to have an effect :
first one never appear.
second one still appear like a subtitle at the start of the movie.

minhtri_595
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minhtri_595 » 08 Nov 2008 09:59

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2223

it looks like this problem has not been fix
I try version 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 git

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”