Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jeroensky
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.9.8a
Operating System: Windows & Linux

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby jeroensky » 24 Oct 2008 09:54

Hey all.

I just wantto post a small issue I've with the recent VLC 0.9.4.
I use a -uptodate- win Vista Homepremium 64bit OS. (yep i'm one of those waiting impatiently for VLC 4 win x64 :shock: )
VLC is working ok, but when I close it, It seems to close, but when I look in Task Manager -> processes I still see VLC active.(eating about 14.3 MB mem)

When I repeat the Start VLC and close it handling, I get even more VLC processes in the task manager.
One time I'd so much, that VLC only started in directx 3D video out only.
When select in VLC, running only one instance of VLC, then I can only restart(or start) vlc if the running proces that's left behind after closing VLC is shut down manally in the task manager.

That's all, could be a 32bit emulator thingy on Vista HP x64.
My mobile {PSP} linksite. .:: http://sites.google.com/site/jeroenskyterritory/ ::.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Oct 2008 12:08

klown: jumping around issue is known one. https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2093
waves? have you tried different video output modules?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... _output.3F

jeroensky: have you tried to change video and audio output modules?

jeroensky

Postby jeroensky » 24 Oct 2008 21:29

Well, VLC itselvesworks great, itś only that when closing VLC, the process stay running in the background @ Win Vista HP x64.
Video output = default.
Audio output = portaudio.
But as I say vlc plays perfect. Oh did I mention itś the zipped version of VLC 0.9.4 (archive , no installer)

Meanwile I enjoy Linux VLC 64bit at my Dualboot Notebook with Vista HP 64bit & Mandriva powerpack 2009.64bit.
My mobile {PSP} linksite. .:: http://sites.google.com/site/jeroenskyterritory/ ::.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Oct 2008 14:28

Files in .zip and .exe packages should be identical. I am using Vista and in my case VLC doesn't hang to process list in normal usage, but when it crashes it sometimes keeps living. So there must be some component that prevents VLC from closing down properly and if you can pinpoint it by using power of trial&error, it might help debugging the issue.

qzx888
New Cone
New Cone

Postby qzx888 » 25 Oct 2008 22:42

Please help... new computer with Vista -
Motion Pixels (AVI) - cannot get Video only Audio, media player with VLC any ideas what to do?
VLC media player shows in Video - Video Track = Motion Pixels MV12 Codec--Video#1
will show visualizations ???
Files on D drive: are AVI Video, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, there is a set-up run
Thank you

peterl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby peterl » 26 Oct 2008 00:52

I'm so frustrated! I have a Windows Vista Home. I have a DVD player set for zone 1. I am trying to play zone 2 encoded DVD. The DVD plays choppily, with the image distorted. I have tried the internet, but can't work out what's happening. I got the below messages - I couldn't even find out what a cvlc is to use it! Can anyone help??

main info: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
a52 info: A/52 channels:2 samplerate:48000 bitrate:192000
spudec error: overflow in SPU next command sequence
a52 info: A/52 channels:2 samplerate:48000 bitrate:192000
spudec error: overflow in SPU next command sequence
spudec error: i_x overflowed, 609 > 587

Kind Regards
Peter

jeroensky

Postby jeroensky » 26 Oct 2008 11:40

Files in .zip and .exe packages should be identical. I am using Vista and in my case VLC doesn't hang to process list in normal usage, but when it crashes it sometimes keeps living. So there must be some component that prevents VLC from closing down properly and if you can pinpoint it by using power of trial&error, it might help debugging the issue.
Well i don't know where to find the error message.
And I guess you're using Vista 32bit, and I'm using Vista 64bit. It could be that VLC 32bit 0.9.4 has a incompatibility with 32bit emulator thingy on Vista x64.
As i say i don't get a error in Vista & VLC.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Oct 2008 14:33

qzx888: So you have AVI files which use Motion Pixels MV12 Codec and they don't work in VLC? If so, can you upload sample file to somewhere? (I assume VLC doesn't support that codec, and because VLC cannot use external codecs, there isn't anything you can do before support is added to VLC)

peterl: does it work any better if you rip the DVD content to hard drive and try playback from there?

jeroensky: it would be other way around: Vista x64 would have incompatibility issue with VLC :D but I doubt it, because it emulator in Vista 64 is one the best I have ever seen. So I think it is more driver or VLC plugin issue.

greybeard851
New Cone
New Cone

Postby greybeard851 » 26 Oct 2008 19:22

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 0.8.6i to 0.9.4 and have enjoyed most of the changes. However, I ran into two problems. After reading all six pages of this forum I found that the first problem, no subtitles unless hardsubbed, is a known problem and is being worked on.

The second problem I did not see mentioned. If I miss a bit of a subtitle or audio and want to go back a bit to replay and catch what was said, the hotkeys don't work properly. If, for example, I press shift + left arrow, I will jump back to about 1:30 to 1:15 from the beginning of the video. If I hit it again I am about 0:06 into the beginning. Pressing shift + right arrow does the same thing.
I am running WinXP sp3 with an AMD Athlon XP cpu.

Any suggestions, or help, would be welcome. Hopefully it is not too late to fix this problem in 0.9.5.

Thanks, and keep up the good work,

Grey

10/27/08 - The problem may not be totally vlc's fault. I had been in the middle of a series of videos when I switched to 0.9.4 and started noticing the problem. After I finished that series and went on to another one I used the backup without thinking. Amazingly, it worked. So I tried it on different types of videos and it doesn't happen on avi, vob, mp4 or mkv but the ones it did fail on were ogm files. I'm not sure why, but obviously there must be something about the coding that vlc doesn't like. Also, I like to use the equalizer to soften the audio but I have to reset the values each time I open another movie. Is there any way to save the settings so they will become the default?

Thanks for the help.

Grey
Last edited by greybeard851 on 31 Oct 2008 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

question81
New Cone
New Cone

Postby question81 » 27 Oct 2008 09:12

What does this mean: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. How do I stop that message from showing up, or changing to cvlc?

Also, since switching to newest version it takes a long time before vlc starts. Is there a way to have it load faster once I double click the file I want to view? Last version I would double click and video would load instantly.

Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Oct 2008 15:40

question81: remove %appdata%\vlc folder and then start VLC again and see if it works any better.

mfelthousen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mfelthousen » 29 Oct 2008 22:45

I don't believe I have seen this problem elsewhere in the FAQs... On a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 and VLC 0.9.4, I am not able to stream from my DV camera. I can open the capture device with no problem and see video, but when I try to stream from that video device, the laptop uses the built-in webcam instead (which is a different option). Under 0.8.6i, this problem does not exist. I'd like to be able to use 0.9.x for the "desktop streaming" ability, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Mat

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Oct 2008 14:05

mfelthousen: does it work better if you start streaming from command-line?
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1998 (I think it is the same issue)

manwe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby manwe » 30 Oct 2008 23:12

XP sp3.
While playing a movie in full screen I get windows task bar at the bottom of the screen over the movie. When I click anywhere but on the task bar i get the proper full screen again. It happens at random times. I tried to check 'always on top' but it doesn't change anything. I don't have that problem with other players. Any suggestions?

Deviate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Deviate » 31 Oct 2008 05:59

More of an annoyance than an issue:

With 8.X, VLC would remember which folder I was playing files from and go to that folder by default the next time I opened VLC. That's gone with 9.4. Not a huge problem, but since 95% of the time when I use VLC it's playing files from a specific folder it gets a little annoying.

This might be part of the same issue smurfmachine posted about on the first post of page 5; I've noticed that it also resets my video brightness adjustments back to default every time I close it.

Vista Home Premium, if it matters. Other than that, 9.4 is great.

NightmareSoul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NightmareSoul » 31 Oct 2008 09:21

Well I have been using VLC for a while now, and I recently Upgraded to the latest version for Windows Xp, and certain things are off. My love of VLC was the ability to edit video dimensions, audio tracks, and video tracks while in full screen but that seems to have disapeared. That religated me to having to go out of the fullscreen which doesn't seem to jump back to the player itself yet remains as a massive window obscuring the player. Now I love my VLC player of old but I wanted to know two things specifically, will there be an update that returns VLC's former functionality , and secondly until that time is there a link to the former .86 version ?

Ps. Another thing I have noticed is when I attempt to exit out of the program it often lags in closing and when it does finally close it pulled up a " VLC Player did not close properly would you like to send a report to microsoft about this crash ?" it seems to happen every time I close it.

Sirijus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sirijus » 31 Oct 2008 14:15

When using skin with not embeded video (lets say winamp5.vlt) video window don't resize to previous setting after full-screen used : play a movie, use full screen, go back to "windows" size : it use the screen resolution, not the previous one.

windows size i have specified with: --width 450 --video-on-top --video-x 820 --video-y 25

bug aply to all 0.9.x versions including latest nightly build (vlc-0.9.6-git-20081030-0204-win32.zip).

can it be fixed ? :)

thanks.

mjrmjr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mjrmjr » 31 Oct 2008 14:39

Hi,

Don't know if this is corrected in 0.9.5, but at the moment:

* using Open Disc does not work on 0.9.4 to open files from my hard-drive: if I select Film A VLC will open Film B; I have to try twice to get it to open, and then VLC will crash when I shut it down. Things work fine if I right-click on the folder from Explorer and select Play with VLC

* the arrow keys no longer jump when playing TS files: white text comes up on the screen, but the video does not jump. I have tried resetting the keys and reprogramming the jump size. It works with DVDs however.

mfelthousen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mfelthousen » 31 Oct 2008 16:44

mfelthousen: does it work better if you start streaming from command-line?
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1998 (I think it is the same issue)
As soon as I figure out how to do that, I will let you know. In looking at the discussion in that wiki, yes, it does sound like the same problem. Copying the same stream command out of the 0.8.6 GUI into the 0.9.4 GUI has the same result. Disabling the webcam in hardware was only partly effective in that VLC then started streaming with the Windows Live avatar.

Thanks,
Mat

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 31 Oct 2008 18:47

mjrmjr: have you changed default hotkeys? And do you try to open those files from hard-drive using DVDsimple?

manwe: please, no double posts.

NightmareSoul: how did you edit those settings while in fullscreen mode? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html there you can found 0.8.6 builds (under Windows 95/98/Me)

STFU
New Cone
New Cone

Postby STFU » 31 Oct 2008 18:55

I read something about key beeing eaten by vlc on windows and metadata getting lost are these screens exactly that or am I dealing with another problem

Image Image

Can someone just tell me if this is a normal problem in windows or does anybody know what the hell is going on with vlc in these screens.
Last edited by STFU on 01 Nov 2008 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

NightmareSoul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NightmareSoul » 01 Nov 2008 03:00

VLC_Help- I edited them by acctually right clicking on the video full screen window and then navigating through the list of various options. However that seems to have vannished in the upgrade between 8.6 and 9.4. Thank you kindly for the link location btw.

Looks something like this but with a video behind it, bloody screen capture programs...

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/471/oro6br4.jpg

oatbiscuit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oatbiscuit » 01 Nov 2008 05:23

I have installed version 9.4.0 in Windows XP (MCE and home, it happens on 2 different computers).

When I close vlc player, I get an error message that VLC media player has encountered a problem and needs to close. Faulting application vlc.exe, version 0.8.4.0, faulting module libvlccore.dll, fault address 0x00081147

howdr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby howdr » 01 Nov 2008 07:24

I have installed version 9.4.0 in Windows XP (MCE and home, it happens on 2 different computers).

When I close vlc player, I get an error message that VLC media player has encountered a problem and needs to close. Faulting application vlc.exe, version 0.8.4.0, faulting module libvlccore.dll, fault address 0x00081147
Fails to close on my computer "Vista 32 Bit"

Happens with both 0.9.4 and 0.9.6

Zeppy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zeppy » 01 Nov 2008 08:42

I've just tried installing 0.9.4 on Win XP SP2 (Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT graphics card, latest drivers). The player worked fine, but I could not switch to Skinnable mode; it caused this error:

Code: Select all

VLC media player Error signature: AppName: vlc.exe AppVer: 0.9.4.0 ModName: mvcrt.dll ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512 Offset: 0002554a
Before installing 0.9.4, I uninstalled my previous version (0.8.4i) including cache and preferences. I tried reinstalling 0.9.4, with the same results.

I've had no problems with previous versions. (Back to 0.8.4i for now...)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”