loading subtitles with drag&drop on the video window

Feature requests for VLC.
manu2015
New Cone
New Cone

loading subtitles with drag&drop on the video window

Postby manu2015 » 23 Oct 2008 05:46

Hi,

There are a lot of subjects about subtitles, in the last one I have seen this one :
I miss the capability of vlc to accept to load subtitles files associated to the video by drag&dropping them on vlc window or the video window. It would save some time of browsing through "open a file (advanced)"

Rgds
Manuel

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: loading subtitles with drag&drop on the video window

Postby VLC_help » 23 Oct 2008 15:44

This works on Windows. Which OS you use?

manu2015
New Cone
New Cone

Postby manu2015 » 23 Oct 2008 20:43

Hello,

I don't use vlc often on windows, that's probably why I didn't notice. Usually it's with MacOsX and kubuntu.

Cheers
Manuel

Aeneas
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Aeneas » 24 Oct 2008 15:09

From what I have been told by our VLC_help department, all development on VLC originates from developers running on Linux.
How is possible then for there to be functionality which exists on the Windows platform and not on the Linux/MAC platform ?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Oct 2008 04:46

From what I have been told by our VLC_help department, all development on VLC originates from developers running on Linux.
How is possible then for there to be functionality which exists on the Windows platform and not on the Linux/MAC platform ?
Works here on Linux/Ubuntu.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Oct 2008 13:39

Drag & drop support has been there as long as I remember. So it has been implemented when there was full day Windows dev on the group. And drag&drop implementation works differently on Win, Lin and Mac, so one code blob doesn't work on all platforms. (I am not sure how QT4 abstracts this)

ryann
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ryann » 26 Oct 2008 15:16

I can't say for other systems, but concerning MacOS X,
I can only confirm the request and insure that drag'n'dropping a .srt file on the VLC program icon does not make it use that subtitles...

- First of all, drag'n'drog anything directly to the movie window seems to be ignored under MacOS X (what a pity!)
- Second, concerning dra'n'drop to the program icon, when you drag'n'drop a movie file (.avi for instance) the file is loaded into the playlist (and can even start immediately if the settings say so): perfect!
On the other hand, drag'n'drop of a subtitle file (during a moving playing or not) only adds this .srt file to the playlist where it has no effect at all, not being able to be read alone.

Then I think the problem isn't a consequence of different implementation of the drag'n'drop on the different OS,
(since the file seems to be correctly received by the program) but a problem of handling the .srt files when added to the playlist:

1) => "playing" a .srt file should make VLC automatically search for the corresponding movie file
(as it can already do the opposite: search for the subtitle file when playing a movie file)

2) => even better, when a movie is playing (or in pause), drag'n'dropping a subtitile file to VLC application icon (or the movie window) should automatically activate this subtitle file for the running movie.

Hoping this could come true!

Aeneas

Postby Aeneas » 26 Oct 2008 18:13

"Closed Captions" equals "Subtitles", in the US broadcast TV media.
Subtitles is the term used in Europe broadcasting, and on movie DVDs.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”