Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
trashkan
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby trashkan » 19 Oct 2008 11:59

Did clean install of 0.9.4

Now, each time when opening Video_TS directory with 'open folder' a crash occurs.

Anyone?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH /Application Name: vlc.exe / Application Version: 0.9.4.0 / Application Timestamp: 48ea6e62 /Fault Module Name: libvlccore.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.9.4.0 / Fault Module Timestamp: 48ea6f86 / Exception Code: c0000005 / Exception Offset: 00018f72 / OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Additional Information 1: aca5 / Additional Information 2: 969e629c98c57bfabb12a76c9a943d72 / Additional Information 3: dca3 /Additional Information 4:
cf2e6ac10327d175f541d88491e4173f

Stringman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stringman » 19 Oct 2008 12:53

There are not only problems with SSA Subs using external police but also problems with embedded in mkv srt-subtitles: second lines are not shown very often, Russian symbol analogous to "f" is not shown when it is the first symbol of a line. There are no such problems in the 0.8.6 version.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 19 Oct 2008 13:11

trashkan: Use Open Dics instead of Directory, this will be hopefully fixed in next release.

trashkan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby trashkan » 19 Oct 2008 13:33

trashkan: Use Open Dics instead of Directory, this will be hopefully fixed in next release.
works - thx for the quick help!

smurfmachine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby smurfmachine » 19 Oct 2008 15:58

Ok heres my list of complaints then.

In the old version switching to fullscreen or away from fullscreen was 1 keypress, why is it now 2?
Can we have 1 touch controls for fullscreen back please?
In the old version of VLC you could fast forward and wouldn't get any sound (which I preferred), why was the speeded up sound added?
Also 8x speed actually used to play and be watchable, now all it does is pixelate really badly.
For some reason VLC will not play files if you doubleclick them but if you open VLC then drag them onto the window it'll happily play them (have only had this issue with video so far, yet to try it with audio).
And it'd be nice if VLC remembered settings once you saved them instead of needing to be closed and restarted before they take effect.
Also why don't the audio or the video settings stay the same when you shut the program down and restart, it should REALLY remember its last settings as its annoying to constantly have to keep resetting stuff every time you restart VLC.

At least you have fixed the lack of brightness,gamma and colour controls but I don't understand why you felt the need to change or "fix" the various stuff that worked in the older version and now are much worse.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Oct 2008 17:14

Ok heres my list of complaints then.

In the old version switching to fullscreen or away from fullscreen was 1 keypress, why is it now 2?
Can we have 1 touch controls for fullscreen back please?
In the old version of VLC you could fast forward and wouldn't get any sound (which I preferred), why was the speeded up sound added?
Also 8x speed actually used to play and be watchable, now all it does is pixelate really badly.
For some reason VLC will not play files if you doubleclick them but if you open VLC then drag them onto the window it'll happily play them (have only had this issue with video so far, yet to try it with audio).
And it'd be nice if VLC remembered settings once you saved them instead of needing to be closed and restarted before they take effect.
Also why don't the audio or the video settings stay the same when you shut the program down and restart, it should REALLY remember its last settings as its annoying to constantly have to keep resetting stuff every time you restart VLC.

At least you have fixed the lack of brightness,gamma and colour controls but I don't understand why you felt the need to change or "fix" the various stuff that worked in the older version and now are much worse.
1 Fullscreeen is still 'f' key.
2 Accelerated sound was asked many times here. Why don't you like it?
3 Settings have always needed a restart if module is enabled
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

smurfmachine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby smurfmachine » 19 Oct 2008 17:28

1 Fullscreen is still 'f' key.
Thanks, i didn't know the hotkey. 1 issue solved ;-)

2 Accelerated sound was asked many times here. Why don't you like it?
I write a weekly wrestling review and occasionally use the fast forward, its really annoying to have chipmonk announcers and crowd, I much prefer the no sound version that used to be featured. i can't understand why anyone would want faster sound.
Faster or slower image yes, sound no.

indo301
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.94
Operating System: Windows 2000 SP4

Postby indo301 » 19 Oct 2008 21:13

First congrats for the latest release, there are many new useful features and a lot freatures for having some fun.
But there are some problems, I encountered.

The following features/settings I tried to save again and again and also restarted VLC.
I even reinstalled the latest version twice with deleting all preferences etc. - but with no success.

1. Repeat and even loading the next video in my playlist doesn't work at all.
2. When a video is finished, VLC acts like it can't find any media in the playlist, the timeline weirdly skips around and VLC increasingly slows down my pc.
3. Always on top doesn't work, even if it's checked by default. I'll have to uncheck and recheck this function to make it work.

I'm curious that I may be the first reporting those problems. I use no skin and even didn't activate some settings, I was used to in the older versions up to 0.86.
Regards.. indo301

[Using: AthlonXP 1800+, 1.5 GB Ram, GeForce4 MX, Win2000 SP4, VLC 0.94]

Siedrosat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Siedrosat » 20 Oct 2008 13:55

Siedrosat: they are still added to same playlist?
Yses they are.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Oct 2008 16:49

Siedrosat: You enqueue those files directly from browser or using Windows Explorer?

indo301: you removed %appdata%\vlc folder manually?

smurfmachine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby smurfmachine » 20 Oct 2008 17:10

v9.2 seems to fix this issue

And it'd be nice if VLC remembered settings once you saved them instead of needing to be closed and restarted before they take effect. Also why don't the audio or the video settings stay the same when you shut the program down and restart, it should REALLY remember its last settings as its annoying to constantly have to keep resetting stuff every time you restart VLC.

v9.2 also seems to fix this issue

Siedrosat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Siedrosat » 20 Oct 2008 18:36

Siedrosat: You enqueue those files directly from browser or using Windows Explorer?

Directly from browser Interner Explorer 7.

indo301
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.94
Operating System: Windows 2000 SP4

Postby indo301 » 20 Oct 2008 23:09

no, should i? when i installed 0.94, the installer asks (as usual) to first uninstall previous installations. that's the way i did a few times - also with removing preferences and cache.
Regards.. indo301

[Using: AthlonXP 1800+, 1.5 GB Ram, GeForce4 MX, Win2000 SP4, VLC 0.94]

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Oct 2008 23:30

I've just noticed a problem with the playlist.
Fresh install (0.9.4) -> add the "artist" column -> close VLC -> open VLC -> no more popup menu when I right-click on the header (ID, Artist, Title, etc) so I can't add/remove one of the columns...
also the Artist column sorts the string, not the number (playlist M3U, EXTINF tag)
for example, "#EXTINF:0,145 - Poker Channel" and 145 is in the Artist column.
I can confirm that.
Fixed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Aqualung
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Aqualung » 21 Oct 2008 10:50

Let me post this here, as it may get more exposure: left clicking on a VLC-supported file adds it to the playlist, instead of, as it seems to be normal, launch a new VLC session. Is that a bug? Both 0.9.2 and 0.9.4 behave this way. And if this is not a bug, then it certainly is redundant, as there's a right-click menu option to this very effect ("Add to VLC media player's Playlist").

Comments?

(Note that "Allow only one instance" has been left unchecked.)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Oct 2008 15:26

Siedrosat: does it work correctly if you do it manually via Windows Explorer?

indo301: on some cases, those files aren't removed correctly. That is why you might want to test it.

Siedrosat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Siedrosat » 21 Oct 2008 21:38

Siedrosat: does it work correctly if you do it manually via Windows Explorer?
No, don't work. If you go here http://www.aziendapizzodelgargano.it/vi ... oloni9.wmv and then here http://www.aziendapizzodelgargano.it/vi ... loni10.wmv , when the fisrt download is complete start the play, when the second download is complete the play jump on the second file.

fuzzylai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fuzzylai » 22 Oct 2008 05:25

Issue: RTSP authentication does not work as 0.8.6
Version: 0.9.4
Description:
1. Connect to an RTSP server and VLC prompt a dialog for user to input username and password.
2. After the correct username and password are input, press OK and the message log shows:

Code: Select all

live555 error: SETUP of'video/MP4V-ES' failed SETUP: cannot handle response: RTSP/1.0 401 Unauthorized
Comment:
I also applied Wireshark to capture the full RTSP negotiation and found that the authentication string is included in the RTSP OPTIONS/DESCRIBE requests but not in the RTSP SETUP request!!!

Example authentication string in RTSP header:
Authorization: Digest username="root", realm="info@abc.com.tw", nonce="48fee939774dcde13b8760748a76db74180fd18594346f75a98e6dfbbc93602c", uri="rtsp://192.168.3.170/cam1/mpeg4", response="1785886a1a358212d9bde8f9044bf432"\r\n

yapaksa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yapaksa » 22 Oct 2008 09:48

DVB-T playlist M3U not playing
topic here : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51664

Hi all,
I have all the DVB-T frequency's of my USB Teresrial tuner.

I made the following test :
1) Manually, I set up a chanel with : Media>Open capture device>DVB DirectShow + DVB-T + 498000 khz and PLAY
I got an excellent TV result.

2) With : Playlist>Save Playlist to file => saved to vlc.m3u
Content of the m3u is :
#EXTM3U
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-frequency=498000
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-bandwidth=-1
dvb-t://
3) Restarted VLC with vlc.m3u, nothing happens
Message is :
main error: unsafe option "dvb-frequency" has been ignored for security reasons
main error: unsafe option "dvb-bandwidth" has been ignored for security reasons
main error: cannot pre fill buffer
So I did not tried further entering all the frequencys to make a full playlist.
But I made another .BAT test on DOS mode with this :
cd \Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=498000 :dvb-bandwith=-1
and VLC WORKS !

The question is : Why VLC works on command mode and not with the M3U playlist ?

Help please ...

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Oct 2008 13:32

Siedrosat: I meant if you open any file in your hard drive via Windows Explorer.

yapaksa: please, no double posts. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51664&p=167769#p167769

fuzzylai: you might want to open trac ticket for that. http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/

Siedrosat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Siedrosat » 22 Oct 2008 14:09

Siedrosat: I meant if you open any file in your hard drive via Windows Explorer.
The same thing

panda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby panda » 22 Oct 2008 16:48

First off, congrats on the release! A couple of thoughts:

1) It would be awesome if the old fast forward and rewind buttons could be reinstated. The current + and - buttons are physically rather far apart, which can make it awkward to speed up, traverse the screen, and slow back down.

2) I agree with the earlier poster on the (sometime) undesirability of accelerated sound, e.g. when fast forwarding through spoilers. Would it be possible to toggle that option?

Again, great work. This is the only player I use, and I'm thrilled you've added FLV support.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Oct 2008 17:51

panda:
FLV support was already in 0.8.6 builds (it is better now). Hopefully there will be customizable QT4 GUI in 1.0.x releases.

Siedrosat: there should be 0.9.5 out soon (at least I hope so). Could you test with it and report back?

klown
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klown » 24 Oct 2008 06:40

I use VLC on a HP laptop with a 8400M GS. Under 0.9.4, I get the following visual issues during an Xvid playback under Vista premium:

- The general quality is down, it is much grainier than 0.8.6.

- I get occasional waves on screen every few minutes, generally in the top half of the screen.

- When jumping around using CTRL or ALT arrows, the image gets stuck on for 5-10 second after stopping.

I reverted back to 0.8.6 and it looks much better now.

Any suggestions?

Siedrosat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Siedrosat » 24 Oct 2008 08:29

Siedrosat: there should be 0.9.5 out soon (at least I hope so). Could you test with it and report back?
Yes i do. I want test the new versions. Thanks.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”