VLC 0.9.4 crashes when disposing a JFrame

*nix specific usage questions
jgg
Cone that earned his stripes

VLC 0.9.4 crashes when disposing a JFrame

Postby jgg » 10 Oct 2008 16:47

Hi,

I'm using JVLC 0.9.0-test3 jar file (the last official release) to develop a video streaming client. I have tried it with VLC 0.9.0-test3, VLC 0.9.3 and VLC 0.9.4 but I get the same results.

I have my Java application with a VLC-based embedded window into a Swing JFrame. My application allows to modify the user profile with some parameters, so, when doing it, I have two JFrames at the same time (one with many checkboxes and other with the embedded video). If no video is being played I can close any of the two Jframes with no problems using the Window.dispose() method, but when a video is being played by the embedded VLC frame, if I close (dispose() method) either the main window with the video being played or the profile one (independent JFrame), my application crashes and I get this error:

Code: Select all

[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 20.0 failed with error code 3: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty) Resource id in failed request: 0x3800025 Serial number of failed request: 7665 Current serial number in output stream: 7665
ALWAYS crashes when a video is being played but NEVER crashes when no video is being played. I've tried with the Window.setVisible(false) and it works nicely, but that's not what I need in my application.

Moreover, I've seen that some related bugs (https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1453 and https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2136) were noticed in VLC versions previous to 0.9.4 and they are claimed to be fixed. Anyway, I keep on getting this error.

I would like to know what I should do in order to help to track this error or, in case it is really fixed, how to avoid it. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.1 but I don't know which Qt version I'm using. How could I know?

Your help is much appreciated,
Javi

ivoire
VLC version: trunk
Operating System: linux (debian sid)

Re: VLC 0.9.4 crashes when disposing a JFrame

Postby ivoire » 10 Oct 2008 16:51

Code: Select all

[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 20.0 failed with error code 3: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty) Resource id in failed request: 0x3800025 Serial number of failed request: 7665 Current serial number in output stream: 7665
Yes this is a known bug. This bug is fixed on trunk.
A workaround is not to embed the video output windows in the interface (I don't know if that's possible with JVLC).

jgg

Re: VLC 0.9.4 crashes when disposing a JFrame

Postby jgg » 10 Oct 2008 16:55

Hi ivoire,

Thanks for you quick answer.

So, I can assume that this error will be fixed in VLC 0.9.5 release, can't I?

Thanks,
Javi

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”