playback speed with 0.9.2 is buggy

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ddarko
New Cone
New Cone

playback speed with 0.9.2 is buggy

Postby ddarko » 21 Sep 2008 21:04

Overall, the 0.9.2 seems pretty good. However, the playback speed function seems a bit buggy.

1) The slider is very buggy. Videos almost invariably crash when I increase the speed in large steps instead of in smaller steps, for example, going straight from 1x to 4x instead of 1x to 2x to 4x.

2) The 8x speed is a lot more jerky than it was under 0.8.6, where it was pretty smooth. I have a quad-core Q6600 w/ a 4870 ATI card using Vista x64 and 4GB of memory so I don't think it's because my computer is too slow.

3) I think the change from fast forward and slow down buttons in 0.8.6 to to + and - signs under 0.9.2 was a mistake. I think people are used to the convention that pressing a fast forward button multiple times speeds up playback; it's how almost all remote controls operate. Changing to the PLUS and MINUS signs messes with this familiarity and I don't see for what benefit. Plus, the placement of the PLUS and MINUS signs on opposite ends of the timeline make them easy to miss; the minus sign is especially small and difficult to differentiate from the timeline, you hardly notice the space between. Also, from an UI standpoint, having the signs on opposite ends of the timeline makes for a lot more mouse travel when you want to quickly slow down or speed up. Under 0.8.6, the buttons were right next to each other so it was trivially easy to speed up or down. Now, there's a lot more mouse travel to go from one end to the other. Admittedly, this is not a deal killer but I think it's a important UI consideration that's a step back from 0.8.6.

edited because I discovered some of my initial feedback was already available in 0.9.2. I missed it because of the new skin.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: playback speed with 0.9.2 is buggy

Postby VLC_help » 22 Sep 2008 16:56

2. VLC can't in most cases really abuse multithreaded decoding, because mos of the ffmpeg codecs used in VLC doesn't support it. And there isn't any GPU decoding in VLC.

3. There will be some QT4 GUI change is upcoming 0.9.3

mooboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mooboy » 22 Sep 2008 23:18

Please allow the user to remove the speed controls from the interface.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Sep 2008 14:07

Moddable QT4 GUI might come with 1.0.0 released.

baroing
New Cone
New Cone

Postby baroing » 24 Sep 2008 21:22

I'm running Win XP pro, SP 3, Intel P4 3.00 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9550

v0.9.2 crashed one too many times for me, I just reverted back to trusty ole v0.8.6. At least it works! >_<

Same symptoms as first post in this thread, 0.9.2 crashed a lot when I tried to adjust the playback speed.

On a related note, I dislike the playback slider, way too finicky for me. The old system was much more user friendly for me. That being said, I did find it fun to listen to the audio at x0.71 speed, funny!

At the very least, it would be nice to have an option between the playback speed slider or the play faster/slower buttons...in the meantime, 0.8.6 will suffice.

Keep up the good work, I love VLC!!!!! Don't let the haters get you down!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Sep 2008 00:30

You still have the faster/slower buttons on both side of the time slider.

The playback slider hasn"t much changed, has it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”