Missing Font Effects in Subtitles VLC 0.9.2

macOS specific usage questions
darkolo
New Cone
New Cone

Missing Font Effects in Subtitles VLC 0.9.2

Postby darkolo » 17 Sep 2008 14:08

Prior to vlc 0.9.2 there was the section Subtitles-OSD -> Text renderer -> Font Effects and it was possible to choose Fat Outline.
Now in vlc 0.9.2 there is the new section Mac renderer and the Fat Outline it is disappeared.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Missing Font Effects in Subtitles VLC 0.9.2

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Sep 2008 21:29

Will be back in future version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

heffeque
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Win7-64

Postby heffeque » 18 Sep 2008 00:14

Good to hear that. Though I've noticed that when enabling subtitles (from an mkv for example) the video stops for a couple of seconds and then the playback is ok. I remember that before it was almost instantaneous. Also the fact that it ignores the font type (maybe I'm doing something wrong, I've tried with subt and ssa and both keep the fonts, I though that only ssa would keep the fonts).

Ah, and the most problematic one is that when subtitles are enabled, if I jump to another part of the video it takes ages for it to start playing, whereas without subtitles the jumping is almost instantaneous.

PD: Also something interesting to add would be an option to make subtitles stay on screen when the video is paused.

lynxx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lynxx » 18 Sep 2008 01:48

Hiya j-b, hello everyone else.

Similar to the missing Font Effects I can't change the actual font for text based subtitles (I've tried .dfont, .otf-, and .ttf-fonts with .srt subtitles). It appears VLC is always using the same (thin) font. Also the selected font differs in advanced and basic preferences screen.

Lynxx

darkolo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby darkolo » 18 Sep 2008 08:49

To change the font type in the for the subtitles simply write the desired font name without specify the full path to the font file. For me worked

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 20 Sep 2008 12:20

In 0.9.3 there will be a fatter font, native Font Chooser in the preferences, a border and a shadow. It should be significantly easier to read.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Tosinopea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tosinopea » 09 Dec 2008 01:01

When Mac version get back Fat Outline Font Effects? I even try latest VLC 0.9.8, but even that not support Fat Outline Font Effects.

In VLC 0.9.8 subtitles are unreable if they compare to VLC 0.8.6i where is support excellent Fat Outline Font Effects.

db
New Cone
New Cone

Postby db » 29 Jan 2009 09:28

Any updates on this issue? It is really difficult to read subtitles rendered with white text without outline when they are displayed against a bright background.

Does this issue have any trac-number?

pkiula
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pkiula » 24 May 2009 15:11

I'm using 0.9.9a. On Mac OSX latest Leopard.

Problems with subtitles continue..

1. Font is always "Regular". Even if I choose Bold.

2. Font Effect called "Background" does not work, shows up as an outline. In "Mac Text Renderer" the option of font effect is not there at all.

Whats up? When will this be fixed?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 29 May 2009 16:00

We switched font rendering routines. (From Freetype to Apple native fontrenderer) The quality of subs is much better now, but as a side-effect, we lost the effects. Atm, no one is working on bringing them back.

Patches are welcome.

andrer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andrer » 31 May 2009 23:34

Is there a way to disable the font shadows and to make the font color true white? To my eyes it looks blurry and grayish, I would very much like to have subtitles like the ones on TV, sharp, white, with a black border. Something like what was in 0.8.x.

Regards

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 01 Jun 2009 22:17

No, not unless you submit a patch

DeUcnt

Postby DeUcnt » 16 Jun 2009 16:02

Having had the same problem, i have been using a work around that seems to be working for me, in VLC prefs on my mac, i set the OSD Font Renderer to be Freetype 2 - now, my text effects work again, i can set my own font size in pixels, everything is as it should be.

I suspect leaving the font renderer as default means it uses the Quartz one, which is lovely, but no effects :-)

Ok just to explain a little more clearly, im using 1.0.0 RC3 Goldeneye for Intel. Also noticed in the past that effects stopped working, but didnt investigate why. Today, knowing the GF is going to want to watch films, i thought id try and make it work.

In the Advanced preferences, in the main Subtitle / OSD tab - i played around with selecting different renderers and settings -eventually, selecting Freetype2 got my effects working again. My ideal settings and effects?:

Font - Arial
Size - 18px
Colour- White
Effect - Background

Works great - don't know what id do without the background effect - ps. are there any settings for it somewhere?

andrer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andrer » 16 Jun 2009 17:00

I switched to Freetype2 and got the old subtitle style back, crisp and clear white. Gorgeous.
Thanks, DeUcnt. Cheers

DefUnct
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DefUnct » 17 Jun 2009 13:47

Hi All,

Quick note to let you know i am DeUcnt - my nick was SUPPOSED to be DefUnct :-) as in definite uncertainty - of course fat fingers here was in a rush to post, ages ago when i first set up the account i made a mess of the nick.

So now, seeing as im actually posting more, i thought id sort out a proper account with a proper nick :-) DeUcnt is no longer active - but of course i cant delete the account, so...there you have it.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”