LifeView WDM Video Capture - Composite Choice

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
kempvet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

LifeView WDM Video Capture - Composite Choice

Postby kempvet » 25 Sep 2004 11:46

it does not appear to matter what capture card is used but if the capture choice in the setup is LifeView WDM Video Capture there appears to be no way that the VLC can even display the video let alone stream it. When the camera is hooked to the composite input the software programs that come with these capture cards can play the video fine but the VLC interface can not even display the video. Is there some problem inherently with the VLC and composite? I have other capture cards that can display the video properly with the composit choice but the LifeView WDM Video Capture never appears to work. Have any other people had the same problem?

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2004 18:26

this problem has happened also to me. If you use Wincap32 or any other capture program it allows you to choose video source from the Lifeview driver, but VLC won't. Even if you use show proprierties window and you set to Composite, it switches back to TV input.

Is there a workaround for this?

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 30 Sep 2004 18:48

Did you install current drivers for the card? It looks like there are 9/17/2004 drivers released for at least some of their products.

Did you install the latest MS DirectX, 9.0c?

King of basic, I know, but the very latest drivers make a huge difference.

kempvet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kempvet » 01 Oct 2004 14:31

I have emailed the developer about the problem with TV cards and the inability to direct capture the composite input in some of them. There is a problem with the way the driver is written for a lot of these cards and when the tuner box appears last the cancel button is not cancelling the tuner option. The driver was never written to be used in the way that the VLC shows the device property boxes popping up one after the other. The source needs to be included as an option in the video properties of the GUI so that it can be set as a separate option OR the driver needs to be written better so that the when the composite choice is clicked on the source device property box then the final tuner box does not appear. Sadly both of these options, the VLC rewrite (or patch) or the rewrite of the TV driver are not going to happen. There appears to be no work around solution for this problem. I have tried to disable the TV tuner in the device area of the systems manager but even this does not appear to work.

Ati All in Wonder

Postby Ati All in Wonder » 04 Oct 2004 18:47

Ati also seems to have the same problem. Check my post
viewtopic.php?t=4637&sid=c448509371f546 ... d4dddea132
Hi
I tried making VLC work with my Ati and searched a lot on the net for this purpose but was not successful. i have read comments from some ppl that they were successful with ati card. my problem as along with a lot of ppl is that after all the settings it switches to tunner mode whereas i have the device plugged in composite. There are only options for video format, color etc when i click "configure" next to video device name.
After checking "device properties" and clinking "ok" the dialog box for selecting the input do appear which i change to video composite but (i think as) the last dialog box is auto tune dialog for tuning which you cannot cancel and clinking on it again changes the option to tunner input.
May be if we can access the option for video input from command line and skip the last dialog, it can work.
Please help
Regards

Postby Guest » 04 Oct 2004 20:05

I also have the same problem with an EN5900 Nvidia card, but if I capture with a WebCam it works fine.
If someone could find a workaround for this it would be great!

SteelRat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteelRat » 04 Oct 2004 21:22

Hmmm, I played around with this a bit.
It does not work in VLC, but if I do the same in NSVCAP to do a shoutcast it works just fine.
I have no idea why, but it seems to be related to the code of VLC and not the drivers of the gfx card.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”