Remote controlling.

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Whitman

Remote controlling.

Postby Whitman » 24 Mar 2005 01:02

I've got an ATI Remote Wonder remote control and I'm wanting to write a plugin for the remtote control software to control VLC (on Windows). I was wondering if there is a way of interacting with VLC from another application.
I know I could generate key presses which correspond to the hotkeys assigned within VLC but I was hoping that there was a better way, especially if I decided to redistribute the plugin, as not all users may have the same hotkeys set.

Thanks in advance.

mokdevel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Remote controlling.

Postby mokdevel » 22 Apr 2005 14:55

I know I could generate key presses which correspond to the hotkeys assigned within VLC but I was hoping that there was a better way, especially if I decided to redistribute the plugin, as not all users may have the same hotkeys set.
I would also need to control VLC some other way than key presses. Is there a proper remote controller interface to VLC available?

HyperHacker
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Postby HyperHacker » 24 Apr 2005 10:13

You might be able to find the buttons/menu options on the VLC window and send them WM_LBUTTONDOWN and WM_LBUTTONUP messages to simulate clicking; I'm not sure if VLC actually uses real buttons though. Otherwise you would need to modify the source code; the best way would be to add support for custom window messages that tell it what to do. This would only work on Windows though.
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

Melloware
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Remote controlling.

Postby Melloware » 14 May 2008 21:00

I know this is an older post but just thought i would let other users searching for ATI Remote Wonder support that you can control VLC using your ATI Remote Wonder remote using our software Intelliremote found here http://www.intelliremote.com

The ATI Remote Wonder and Wonder Plus are actually X10 based devices so any X10 based remote will work with Intelliremote.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
Take back control of your PC!
http://www.intelliremote.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”