Multiple Videos

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
callmeluke
New Cone
New Cone

Multiple Videos

Postby callmeluke » 24 Apr 2008 03:26

I'm wanting to have files playing back on individual machines and have them in sync with each other.

The video files can already be on the local machine,
i guess the way it would work is there would be a master instance of vlc controlling playback and timeline searching, and the client instances of vlc would only be controlled by the master instance. Over LAN i guess.

and in order to stay in sync i guess the server could send frame details out every 2 secs or something...

there is nothing else out there like this that anyone has come across, or a different way of doing it?

I need different sections of video i have rendered out in after effects to be played back on multiple monitors and be in sync.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Multiple Videos

Postby dionoea » 24 Apr 2008 10:58

You could use the Documentation:Modules/netsync module. I'm not sure that it'll work if you're playing different files but it won't hurt to try :)

Code: Select all

vlc --extraintf netsync --netsync-master somevideo.avi vlc --extraintf netsync --netsync-master-ip 1.2.3.4 someothervideo.mp4
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

mbayaf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mbayaf » 23 Mar 2009 11:54

I'm trying to make netsync with different files stored in the computer, and share the netsync between several machines.
So, what I'm focused on is having several different videos that have to be played synced, but every single file from a different computer.

The other part of the question is making more than one video full-screened on a multi-monitor setup, also synced, and synced with other computers at the same time.
Also to be said, I've been trying on using the netsync and not yet understood the way to make it work.

The setup is Windows XP and VLC 0.8.6
(VLC 0.9.x is showing the desktop when changing between videos, so it is not useful for me)

Thanks

transformania
New Cone
New Cone

Postby transformania » 23 Oct 2009 19:36

You could use the Documentation:Modules/netsync module. I'm not sure that it'll work if you're playing different files but it won't hurt to try :)

Code: Select all

vlc --extraintf netsync --netsync-master somevideo.avi vlc --extraintf netsync --netsync-master-ip 1.2.3.4 someothervideo.mp4
Has anyone tried dionoea's suggestion and got it working? I'm also looking for multi-computer, multi-file synchronized playback.

I've been trying myself but right now I'm just learning how to stream a file by itself w/o VLC crashing on me. Once I get past that I can try this.

fastforward
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fastforward » 29 Oct 2009 13:09

Hello friends.
I have joined here today. I want to know that while using VLC media player hoe we make a list of our favourite videos like we do in winamp . Also let me know that some videos play as mute in VLC player but when I play them in some other media player like window media player, they play with sound. What to do with this problem ?
R4

Casemon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Casemon » 20 Oct 2011 20:58

Interested in multi-computer, multi-file synchronized playback as well. Is this at all possible?

Tried the above suggestions, as a test on my local LAN, and here is what happened:
- Launched on server and it started VLC but did not play; figured it was waiting for clients, ok.
- Launched client on different system, it loaded the VLC and the video started playing, but the server wasn't' playing at all.
- Pressing play on the server, it started playing the video, but reset the client video to time index 00:00 and never started.

IOW Never managed to get this working :(

OP was several years ago... anyone succeed in getting this working?

The internet is great for connecting people; seems only logical this would extend to including watching the same content in disparate locations. Help me internet Obi-wans!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”