0.8.6f position slider

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Rincewind
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

0.8.6f position slider

Postby Rincewind » 19 Apr 2008 07:54

I just upgraded vlc to 0.8.6f. I still have 0.8.5 on another pc.
When I use vlc to view an emule partfile;-
* vlc 0.8.6f gives me a message about AVI file is broken Seeking etc . . . . . . and then displays the movie without a position slider. The --please stay polite--+arrow keys do nothing so there is no way to page through the file. All pretty irritating.

* vlc 0.8.5 on EXACTLY the same partfile (accessed via a network) gives no message and provides a position slider that works just fine and shift/ctrl+arrow that perform very well.

How can I get 0.8.6f to behave the same way as good old 0.8.5? - or is this just the price of progress?!?!

TFAI

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: 0.8.6f position slider

Postby VLC_help » 19 Apr 2008 21:55

http://www.geocities.com/sibermutant/README.htm
you have checked that Settings->Preferences->Input / Codecs->Demuxers->AVI and set Force index creation to Never fix ? If so, try Always fix.

Rincewind
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rincewind » 20 Apr 2008 18:55

Yes - but only after posting - sorry :-(.
it stops the message about files being broken but does not bring the slider back nor does it allow Ctrl-> or Shift-arrow and leaves no way of skipping through a movie.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Apr 2008 22:05

Of course not, you CANNOT seek in a broken .avi file.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Rincewind
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rincewind » 23 Apr 2008 01:31

j-b Thank you for your interest.

Perhaps you did not notice the original post which said:
* vlc 0.8.5 on EXACTLY the same partfile (accessed via a network) gives no message and provides a position slider that works just fine and shift/ctrl+arrow that perform very well.

So I am still curious to know why it has disappeared in 0.8.6

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Apr 2008 16:26

You also tried that Always Fix option? Because it should create new index, which allows rewinding (or least I think it should).

Rincewind
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rincewind » 23 Apr 2008 18:54

0.8.5 has a parameter 'Force Index Creation' which is blank.
There is also no (significant) time lag before the slider is available and works.
A) If the slider is moved, it takes some while for the picture to reappear - looks like VLC is reading serially through the file
b) if the mouse is clicked on the slider bar (as opposed to the pointer), the picture jumps what looks like a set distance through the file (very quickly) and then starts to read. It can produce no picture or even lock up.

0.8.5 On the file I am currently looking at it comes up with the message "AVI file is broken seeking may take along time etc etc". I opt not to fix it and still get a working slider (as described above). I can advance in (what look like) fixed chunks though the file

0.8.6 comes up with the same message but no slider.
Both play the file from the begining OK (until the good data runs out).

With it set to "Always fix" vlc appears OK and there is no message but there is also no slider.
Ctrl/shift->arrow displays the position (in minutes) but does not move the position in the film

It looks as if 0.8.6 tries rather harder to continue as you can get a stationary picture but proper audio then the picture played properly again. At that same point 0.8.5 simply stopped dead never to go again!!

if its an "either or", I'd rather be able to skip through the file with the slider.

TFAI

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 23 Apr 2008 23:12

You could fix the AVI using a tool such as VirtualDub. If it is e.g. a partially downloaded file then save it with a different file name.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Rincewind
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rincewind » 24 Apr 2008 07:35

I could indeed process the file thru virtualdub (or indeed one of the other 'fix an avi file' utilities. But the reason for using vlc in the first place is to sample various bits of the part file to make sure that the part file is what it says it is ideally with minimum hassle.

It seems that some development work has gone on in this area of vlc (possible to make it more robust) and in so doing the behaviour has changed - for the worse in my view. Hopefully this will get fixed in some later version of vlc.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”