VLC wont uninstall!?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sucks
New Cone
New Cone

VLC wont uninstall!?

Postby sucks » 14 Apr 2008 06:38

Ok so I tried out VLC but didnt like it. When i tried to uninstall VLC it was removed but any file thats not AVI,MPEG,or WMV appear in a blank white icon and say .vlc media file Its screwed up my .mkv files and .mp4 files.
How do I completely remove VLC and anything related to it from my computer so the icons can go back to normal and not say .vlc but the actual format it is?

Thanks ahead to anyone whos is willing to help.

GiacomoGo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC wont uninstall!?

Postby GiacomoGo » 14 Apr 2008 07:13

whatever you're using instead should have an option/function to re-associated filetypes with that preferred app.
You'll have to chose that option. If that's not available, you'll have to manually re-associate filetypes. If you can't find a way to do that you can always re-install your preferred app.
GG

sucks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sucks » 15 Apr 2008 08:04

whatever you're using instead should have an option/function to re-associated filetypes with that preferred app.
You'll have to chose that option. If that's not available, you'll have to manually re-associate filetypes. If you can't find a way to do that you can always re-install your preferred app.
Windows Media Player doesnt have .mkv or .mp4 listed. When i right-click and change the program that opens the file it still says VLC Media File (.mkv)/(.mp4)

Its extremely annoying and th icons are still blank/white.

Any other ideas?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Apr 2008 17:22

You can use Windows Explorer Tools -> Folder options and File type tab to remove/fix those. Or Mediaplayer that you use to playback those file (if it has a file association thing).

GiacomoGo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GiacomoGo » 15 Apr 2008 19:14

Windows Media Player doesnt have .mkv or .mp4 listed. When i right-click and change the program that opens the file it still says VLC Media File (.mkv)/(.mp4)

Its extremely annoying and th icons are still blank/white.
... possibly a simpler alternative: Right-click an .mkv or .mp4 file, and choose "Open With" -- then --> "Choose Program..."

When you choose the preferred program, CLICK THE TICK BOX to "Always use the selected program ...".
I doubt you'll see an icon change without first re-booting your system.
GG

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”