[DVB-T] BDA plugin memory leak (0.9.0).

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
yogurt
New Cone
New Cone

[DVB-T] BDA plugin memory leak (0.9.0).

Postby yogurt » 01 Apr 2008 11:54

Hi, using a DVB-T card with the 0.9.0 version of VLC, I noticed that the BDA plugin does not correctly release everytime it is stopped.
This is evident in the log files.

Code: Select all

... main debug: removing module "bda" main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m5.296875s, kernel 0m0.046875s, user 0m0.031250s main debug: thread 4108 joined (input/input.c:467) main warning: refcount is 1, delaying before deletion (id=324,type=-7) main error: refcount is 1, delaying again (id=324,type=-7) main error: waited too long, cancelling destruction (id=324,type=-7) ...
and in the sensible growth of memory usage (around 7 MB ), and number of hung threads per cycle (play, stop, play again a dvb source).

I looked deeply into the source code (/module/bda/) and I think it could depend on the way the COM objects of the Directshow graph are released. Infact some of these objects are referenced many times and released only once (example: p_network_provider).
In my opinion releasing them correctly should fix the problem.

Anybody had my same experience?
I'm posting here to invite you to do the same test (stop/start/stop + looking at the memory usage/thread number) to notice....

Thank you!
Yogurt

P.S. I have a Terratec Cinergy 1400 with BDA drivers 5.0.18.0 ;-)
Last edited by yogurt on 04 Apr 2008 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: BDA plugin memory leak (0.9.0).

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Apr 2008 19:11

ask kenself (kenS) on this forum.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

yogurt
New Cone
New Cone

Re: [DVB-T] BDA plugin memory leak (0.9.0).

Postby yogurt » 04 Apr 2008 09:26

Ok, I tried to contect him but meanwhile can anybody do some test, just to confirm this behaviour.

Thanks a lot,
Yogurt (Alive! ;-))

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”