No sound coming through!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cap2587
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

No sound coming through!

Postby cap2587 » 27 Mar 2008 02:45

When I play an AVI file that I have saved on my hard drive there is no sound with my VLC media player. I went into the properties and found the codec. It is Microsoft ADPCM. Do I need to add this in VLC, before it will play ths file with sound. Can comeone give me a step by step play of how I do this. Thanks.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: No sound coming through!

Postby Arite » 27 Mar 2008 03:01

If the AVI is from e.g. a digital camera it is likely that the AVI is AVI 1.0. You can use VirtualDub to re-save the video file as an AVI 2.0 (OpenDML) and it should (assuming that that is the problem) playback in VLC. See here for how to re-save the file in VirtualDub:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43218#p135543

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 27 Mar 2008 21:33

Could you possibly upload a sample?

Arite.

cap2587
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cap2587 » 28 Mar 2008 03:27

Having trouble getting sound to come through on my VLC media player. It is an AVI file from a digital Camcorder. I have attached a sample copy of this file for you to look at. New to attaching files, therefore hope it goes through okay. Let me know. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J4T9VNUY. Is this how I let people look at my AVI video, bu uploading and pasting the link. Thanks.

cap2587
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cap2587 » 28 Mar 2008 03:44

Having trouble getting sound to come through on my VLC media player. It is an AVI file from a digital Camcorder. I have attached a sample copy of this file for you to look at. New to attaching files, therefore hope it goes through okay. Let me know. http://www.mediafire.com/?cn3eev1uhifIs this how I let people look at my AVI video, bu uploading and pasting the link. Thanks.cap2587
New Cone

Private message

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 28 Mar 2008 04:19

Thanks for the upload. The file does contain a 16kHz ADPCM mono track, however it is 0 samples long.

Is that video the one you modified in VirtualDub beforehand? If so, could you upload a video which has not be changed in VirtualDub. Otherwise it suggests than the digital camera is not capturing the audio properly.

Arite.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 29 Mar 2008 23:39

OK - well using the original video you PM'd me with I did exactly the same thing as described here (looks to be the same camera model/make as well) and it worked.

This is what I did:
  1. Open the video in VirtualDub.
  2. Go to "Video >> Direct Stream Copy".
  3. Then go to "File >> Save as AVI..." and save the video.
  4. Try the new video in VLC.
I can upload the video with sound if you like - but probably a lot quicker to do it yourself in VirtualDub :).

Cheers, Arite.

cap2587
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cap2587 » 30 Mar 2008 12:24

Arite,

I tried to do the Virtual Dub again on the original file, but had no luck. Not sure how you are able to make it come through with sound. I can play it with sound on Windows Media Player, but VLC usually has better quality audio and video. Could there be something in the settings that needs to be changed to recognize the codecs in the file. thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Mar 2008 14:15

If VLC doesn't handle the file, there isn't that many options left. You can try nightly builds to see if they work better. http://nightlies.videolan.org/ if they don't then you just wait or add support by yourself (aka code ) =)

cap2587
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cap2587 » 30 Mar 2008 15:35

I don't really want to use nightly buids, when I have a prefect working version of VLC(almost perfect). Tried everything to get the file to work with sound and no luck. I think I will just keep it in Windows Media Player. It's a pity, because I don't think WMP has the same audio/video quality as VLC. Appreciate all the reply help.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 30 Mar 2008 15:42

Arite,

I tried to do the Virtual Dub again on the original file, but had no luck. Not sure how you are able to make it come through with sound. I can play it with sound on Windows Media Player, but VLC usually has better quality audio and video. Could there be something in the settings that needs to be changed to recognize the codecs in the file. thanks
Here is the video file with sound - works in VLC media player 0.8.6e:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ycam5m5jjzg

I used VirtualDub 1.7.7 (1.7.8 is now the current version though) - I did what I described above - open the video in VirtualDub, set the Video to "Direct Stream Copy" and then do a "File >> Save as AVI...".
If VLC doesn't handle the file, there isn't that many options left. You can try nightly builds to see if they work better. http://nightlies.videolan.org/ if they don't then you just wait or add support by yourself (aka code ) =)
There is no sound for the original file in the latest VLC nightly build (although there is in MPlayer).

Arite.

cap2587
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cap2587 » 03 Apr 2008 01:16

Wanted to Thank all the forum people especially Arite, that chipped in with information on my sound problem. The problem was solved with some persistance, and very good advice by VLC Forum member's.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”