Compiling VLC 0.8.6d with ffmpeg svn

*nix specific usage questions
xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Compiling VLC 0.8.6d with ffmpeg svn

Postby xtophe » 07 Dec 2007 00:04

You can't compile VLC 0.8.6d with a recent ffmpeg svn without the following patch
http://git.altlinux.org/people/thresh/p ... 395edc91cd

Code: Select all

--- a/modules/codec/ffmpeg/mux.c +++ b/modules/codec/ffmpeg/mux.c @@ -133,7 +133,11 @@ int E_(OpenMux)( vlc_object_t *p_this ) return VLC_EGENERIC; } +#if LIBAVFORMAT_VERSION_INT >= ((52<<16)+(0<<8)+0) + p_sys->oc->pb = &p_sys->io; +#else p_sys->oc->pb = p_sys->io; +#endif p_sys->oc->nb_streams = 0; p_sys->b_write_header = VLC_TRUE;
Xtophe

mb508
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Compiling VLC 0.8.6d with ffmpeg svn

Postby mb508 » 17 Dec 2007 16:31

thanks =) i have almost lost any hope

ddales
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ddales » 06 Jan 2008 13:51

And how does one apply the patch? I'm using OpenSuse 10.3 and trying to build from source.

yohann.martineau
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yohann.martineau » 09 Jan 2008 14:11

I tested it on a debian etch and it works fine.
Thank you for the patch.

Here is the configure line that I used:

./configure --enable-pth --enable-st --enable-gprof --enable-cprof --enable-mostly-builtin --enable-optimize-memory --enable-shout --enable-live555 --enable-dc1394 --enable-dv --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --enable-v4l --enable-pvr --enable-cddax --enable-cddax --enable-vcdx --enable-dvb --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --enable-flac --enable-tremor --enable-tarkin --enable-theora --enable-svg --enable-snapshot --enable-mga --enable-svgalib --enable-ggi --enable-aa --enable-caca --enable-esd --enable-arts --enable-jack --enable-cyberlink --enable-ncurses --enable-xosd --enable-galaktos --enable-goom --enable-lirc --enable-loader

I had to install a few libraries with apt-get install, and it was ok.

airtek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby airtek » 14 Feb 2008 02:55

Hi guys ,

but with this vlc version compyling on debian etch , it's possible to add a logo in a video transcoding it with vlc?

I must to use some particular command for add ths feature when compile it?

Thansk a lot

BR

kmf31
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby kmf31 » 20 Feb 2008 23:13

First of all, all my thanks to xtophe for providing the patch.

I have a small information to add: you need the same patch also for the older versions: vlc-0.8.6, vlc-0.8.6a, vlc-0.8.6b and vlc-0.8.6c when compiling with the very recent ffmpeg versions. I have tested with vlc-0.8.6a and vlc-0.8.6c but I suppose the other two versions are identical for this.

Probably vlc-0.8.5 will also cause trouble (but I did not test anything here) with the latest ffmpeg version.

I must admit that I still use vlc-0.8.6a because the more recent versions (vlc-0.8.6x with x=b, c, and d) crash with Segmentation fault on certain occasions with DVB-T, in particular when trying to select a channel while being on an encrypted channel (of course with "empty image"). Of course vlc cannot decrypt PayTV on DVB-T but one can still select the channel in a playlist and afterwards select another non-encrypted channel. This should not crash vlc and on vlc-0.8.6a this still works fine! The appearance of this problem coincides with the new subtitle functions and features that were introduced in vlc-0.8.6b. I think this is some memory bug (some times I get a message that it trys to free twice the memory but this is not very easy to obtain).

Furthermore with vlc-0.8.6d I see another new bug with the noise (cracks in the audio and the message "audio starving") when looking mpeg2 files (or streaming sources) with the libmpeg2 library (default for mpeg2-decoding if vlc is compiled with libmpeg2).

tanir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tanir » 25 Feb 2008 12:04

Can you be more specific please? How do we apply this patch and where? Thank you.

kmf31

Postby kmf31 » 25 Feb 2008 13:07

You have to save the "patch" as it is given by xtophe in some ascii-file (by copy-paste), for example with the name: "ffmpeg_patch.txt" and to copy it in the source folder of vlc-0.8.6d (or of any other vlc-0.8.6x version if you prefer).
Then you enter this source folder with "cd ..." and you simply issue the command:

patch -p1 <ffmpeg_patch.txt

Afterwards you compile vlc as usual with "./configure <options>", "make", "make install" etc.

tanir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tanir » 25 Feb 2008 16:00

Thank you, this helps!

kmf31

Postby kmf31 » 28 Feb 2008 20:48

In vlc-0.8.6e both problems which I described above are solved and of course the patch to compile with the latested ffmpeg version is no longer necessary. :D :wink:

kapildessai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kapildessai » 19 Mar 2008 21:29

Hi all.

I need some urgent help in compiling the VLC 0.8.6d on Windows XP using Cygwin.

I am trying to replace the VLC player's logo with a 'simple black square' image of the same size. I read the VLC player online forums and come to understand that the only way this can be acheived is by replacing the file manually under the project directory and recompiling the source-code.

Please suggest any other work-arounds for replacing the VLC logo. If possible, please do provide a code snippet for the same.

Here is what I have tried until now...

I have dolwnloaded the 0.8.6d code from the VLC website using SVN. I have also ran the configuration scripts successfully. However, when I try the 'make' command from Cygwin prompt, it fails by giving the following error:-
----------------------------------
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
----------------------------------

I have a file named Makefile.am in the root directory of the source.

Please help me ASAP as it is very important (for my project) that I compile and run the VLC player as early as possible.

Thank you in anticipation.

- KAPIL DESSAI
kapil.dessai@synerzip.com

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”