M-Audio Digital Out (A/52 )in Panther doesn't work

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
badidea
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Successful Test Results - FANTASTIC!

Postby badidea » 15 Jun 2004 11:21

Jon Lech -

Great Job. I downloaded your most recent build and it works like a champion in Digital A/52 using my Revolution Digital Out. I am running 10.3.4 on a DP867 Power Mac. Digital Coax connection to my Integra DTR 6.4 Receiver. Tested Dolby Digital and DTS. Now my home theater is almost complete.

THANKS A MILLION!
second that!
Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and I tested with DivX AC3 files, not with DVDs!!!!)

RoKen
New Cone
New Cone

Yessssss!

Postby RoKen » 17 Jun 2004 13:59

Thank you Jon, now it work with latest build of 15 June.
It plays DVD wonderfully, some trouble with AC3 DiVx but work!
Just add DTS support and this app will be perfect!
My HTmac is near to be real. :P
I've never seen this faster support and feedback neither for a commercial software, so I've just made a donation.

*PB 17" - 10.3.4 - Firewire 410 (1082) - VLC nb 2004 06 15*

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 18 Jun 2004 01:24

Still doesn't work on G5's though reportedly.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

sephiroth_4

Can't proggies and other things just get along....

Postby sephiroth_4 » 20 Jun 2004 14:51

Yes the builds get rid of the errors that were reported, but on my dual G5 as said, VLC doesn't get the job done in this particular instance. The latest MPlayer will do justice for a Cold Mountain DVDRip with AC3...
Some things are better at doing things than other things
Who said these things were easy?!

JonLech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't proggies and other things just get along....

Postby JonLech » 20 Jun 2004 22:46

Please post G5 log output. I need the lines which start with "coreaudio audio output".

Start Terminal.app and run /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -vvvv
Jon Lech Johansen
VideoLAN developer

Ti-maniac
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Digital dolby light out

Postby Ti-maniac » 24 Jun 2004 17:57

I just returned from a trip, and have been unable to try this until now.

So I downloaded the most recent build - dated June 23 - and noticed that I now obtain output from the Sonica (5.1) on both PCM and a/52. The program bombs (repeatable bug) when going from a/52 to PCM.

I have also noticed that the didigal dolby light on my receiver is not active in the a/52 mode, although I think the sound might be correct, but have no way of determining this for sure.

When I launch Apple DVDplayer on the same video, the digital dolby light is active.

I am using a G4 933 Mhz machine, OS 10.3.4

dnahelix

Maybe this will help G5 users...

Postby dnahelix » 25 Jun 2004 05:13

Open VLC
VLC:Preferences...
under Modules:audio output:coreaudio
change the Audio Device to the corresponding number under the Audio:Audio Device menu.
Also make sure the Sound panel in you System Preferences matches the audio device.
Then reboot.

makkii

GREAT!

Postby makkii » 02 Jul 2004 02:50

It works perfectly on 10.3.4 + Sonica! I do know everyone knows but I realy wanted to thank JonLech

jagoras
New Cone
New Cone

latest version

Postby jagoras » 04 Jul 2004 21:05

I have a G5 running 10.3.4. I am following and waiting for a solution to the audio issue, but I dont know where to find the latest nightly build version.

Could you help me?

MK

Adam

Sonica temporary solution

Postby Adam » 17 Jul 2004 09:52

I use an M-Audio Sonica for my Mac OSX Panther, and it has an optical out and analog out. I run the optical output to the optical in of my Soundblaster Audigy on my Windows machine, and for some weird reason, it stopped working.
So I plugged my speakers directly into the Sonica analog out, and it sounded terrible. I really wanted the optical out to work (for ITunes etc.)
It turned out that when VLC was running, even with a video paused, the optical worked, but when I closed VLC, the Sonica optical out stopped working too.
So I reckon that VLC hogs the digital out for Sonica. I have no idea why. But keeping the program running, on pause, allows the win machine to receive audio output. And why the Sonica sounds so bad with analog (it didn't do this before), I have no idea.
All I know is, since I have VLC, I need to keep it open for the Sonica optical out to work correctly.
Weird. As a computer science BS recent graduate, I know this is one of the weirdest bugs I've heard of, and thus probably one of the hardest to solve. But for now, the temporary fix works, and maybe someone else out there will benefit from knowing this.

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2004 23:44

I've committed a fix for the no audio issue. Please test nightly build 2004 06 14.
Works fine with Transit USB (Transit_OSX_1.5.8f2_Bld101), MacOS 10.3.4 and Ac3 Avi's.

Thanx a lot. I just got the Transit today and was about to get very despressed. :roll:

Just tried the latest build:
vlc-macosx-200407050320.dmg
But here I can not change play position, which worked fine in the june 14th build.

Killroy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Killroy » 14 Sep 2004 20:23

I know the general consensus is that the G5 is broken when it comes to sound...

But I have to ask since its been a while since this thread got any notice...

Has anyone gotten the Revo 7.1 to output Dolby Digital on the G5 using the coxial output???

I am almost ready to upgrade my dual 1gig G4 to a G5 but if the audio is still not working I may have to wait...

Mikhail

Postby Mikhail » 20 Sep 2004 18:29

I've committed a fix for the no audio issue. Please test nightly build 2004 06 14.
Thank you so much!
AVI with ac3 sound fine.
But I get problem with DTS. No sound.
Anyway thnk you.

G4, MacOS X 10.3.5, Revolution 7.1, Creative Inspire 5700 (digital out).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”