Clicking sound in VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
morgan

Clicking sound in VLC

Postby morgan » 19 Sep 2004 13:57

Hello

I am using VLC 0.5.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.5 (PowerBook G4 1,25GHz). I am unable to upgrade to a newer version of VLC because of a very annoing clicking sound (sounds like clipping or distorsion) that appears in version 0.6.0. I have tried 0.8.0-test1 and there is no change. The pitch problem appears in 0.6.0 aswell (sounds like a bad cassette deck).

Since 0.5.3 is the latest problem-free version, maybe this can be a clue to solve the bugs in the newer versions. I'd love to upgrade...

// Morgan

PC+Mac

Same here...

Postby PC+Mac » 19 Sep 2004 20:12

Hey there. I'm relieved that someone else too is stuck using VLC 0.5.3. While I don't think I have your clicking sound, my problem is that the audio has static in it. And like you, my problem started from 0.6.0 and has continued in every version of VLC since then - including 0.8.0-test1.

I've looked through the change logs, and from my limited knowledge, I'm guessing that it's something to do with the audio resampler introduced in 0.6.0 for speeding things up. I guess they sacrificed quality for speed.

Anyway, here's the topic I made - viewtopic.php?t=4495

I sure hope someone on the OS X VLC development team can help us out.

Postby Guest » 20 Sep 2004 05:30

I've also posted on that thread.

Fingers crossed that the OS X vlc demi-gods see that topic.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 20 Sep 2004 09:53

As stated many times before on this forum, we currently have noone who can work on VLCs OSX audio support, when we find someone who CAN fix it, it will be fixed.

Next to that, it's not said that this is caused by the resampler. Actually, i think it would be very unlikely and probably caused by a change in the audio output.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”