Any way to pause on last frame of video in VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
sfed
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Any way to pause on last frame of video in VLC

Postby sfed » 05 Feb 2008 13:24

I am wondering if there is an option in VLC to pause on the last frame of a played video rather than closing the video window. Also in a javascript / html interface, is there a way to have notification when a video completes playback?

sfed
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Any way to pause on last frame of video in VLC

Postby sfed » 08 Feb 2008 16:57

In response to my own question above, I have added an option/parameter to the input module in vlc that allows the video to be paused on the last frame automatically without the video player exiting (requires modification of the source code). It can be applied globally or per-stream and basically just causes the stream state to PAUSE rather than EOF when the stream terminates. This is the same result as pausing the input during normal playback. The flag one-shots so that when the stream is played/resumed, the normal EOF processing is accomplished. It seems to be working properly, and was not difficult too difficult to accomplish (other than the initial pain of getting VLC to compile on Windows under Cygwin...not really relevant here as this change is not Windows-specific). It also does not add any processing time to the main input loop so it seems innocuous, and is a nice feature where it is desired for a video to remain on the last frame when it ends. I am starting to look at the issue of frame pausing to see if there is any possible way of accomplishing greater control over where frame freezes occur in the video processing chain. The optimal solution would be to impose pause functionality further down the decoding chain and cascade the mode back up to the input processing to pause the data flow at the same time. Currently lag in pause at face value appears to be caused by the input module having already passed an indeterminate amount of data on to subsequent stream processing and that cannot be recalled once gated out.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 08 Feb 2008 18:15

Maybe you should split this wall of words up, I doubt that many people will want to read it no matter how informative. Just a suggestion. :P

sfed
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sfed » 08 Feb 2008 22:44

sorry - geek speak I guess - I just wanted to say I managed to implement a parameter to get a video to pause at the end frame without too much trouble and minimal changes to the codebase (maybe a dozen lines of code), so it is possible to do.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Feb 2008 03:51

GUTC!

GIve us the code :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

djsashaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby djsashaz » 16 Feb 2008 06:58

Yeah I would like to see the code on this too, hell if you can compile a windows version for me to save the headache.... I was just trying to fiugre out how to do this too.

While im here, anyone know how to automaticly reload a stream? Say play for 5 mins, stop then reload?

Maybe I should start a new post?

lol

sfed
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sfed » 19 Feb 2008 02:31

let me get together the changes for the freeze on last frame option and i'll post them - pretty simple to do that - i'm working on some other stuff that is not so simple...

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 19 Feb 2008 07:10

Thanks for your contributions. :D

djsashaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby djsashaz » 19 Feb 2008 16:26

I made some progress, I made a Windows Media Player Version. Thats great, but I can only have 15 objects per browser. I would like to use VLC and firefox instead, but VLC and IE is fine too.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”