Problems with DTS & MKV

macOS specific usage questions
Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Problems with DTS & MKV

Postby Ayla » 07 Jan 2008 23:36

I've not been able to verify the issue since my mbp has been stolen :(

But it sounds like it's working fine now so _huge_ thanks to you guys for fixing this issue.
Working fine, but you have to use the nightlies and they are very buggy, I see a lot of preferences problems, codec problems etc. :(
/Martin

rickeo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rickeo » 08 Jan 2008 05:30

Where are you guys getting the nightlies that work? The only one I see is from January 4th found here http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/mac ... l/?C=M;O=D . It plays the DTS audio fine, but video is horrible, completely unwatchable.

jnmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jnmen » 08 Jan 2008 18:41

I agree with the status of the nightlies and also the remark that the last build is of january 4.

I'm trying to build 0.8.6d with the DTS-fix but so far I'm running into all sorts of issues (see one of my earlier posts). But once I succeed in building this, I will post it here. Must be today of tomorrow because after then I'm on holidays for 1.5 week.

Question to the dev-team: is there an 0.8.6e-version scheduled for the next couple of weeks which will include the DTS-fix? I think this would make a lot of people very happy (including myself of course).

John.

rickeo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rickeo » 10 Jan 2008 01:14

Any luck jnmen?

jnmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jnmen » 10 Jan 2008 07:06

No luck and, to be honest, I don't think I will be able to build this on Leopard. I got so many errors probably referring to mixed libraries as 0.8.6d is meant to be build using Tiger and XCode 2.5. Although there is a description on how to build it on Leopard, I doubt that it is complete and tested. At least it is not working on my setup and I spent a lot of time on it!

I also tried building the latest version (trunk) a couple of days ago but no luck. Based on the current status of the nightly builds, I guess that the dev-team has problems getting a stable version also. I hope that there will soon be a 0.8.6e with this bug fixed. May there is somebody from the dev-team to give us some info this?

Thanks,

John.

badidea
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby badidea » 17 Jan 2008 11:22

I can only add myself to the list of people who are desperately waiting for a solution for this problem! :(

anthonyv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby anthonyv » 17 Jan 2008 12:12

Great job all,

I am very happy to see that setting the value for
Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding to "All".
fixes the VLC mkv play back issue.

Confirmed on VLC 0.8.6d
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
Memory: 4 GB

Play back is fantastic. File type (1080p mkv)
Also seem to balance across both core better.

Added hint: Use the Delete_Preferences.app to clear out old setting. I tried a lot of different setting. So clean it all out before disabling the loop filter.

Happy camper :mrgreen:
--TonyV

cyantist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cyantist » 01 Feb 2008 21:16

Any updates on this issue? I can also confirm that the stuttering DTS problem has been solved in the latest nightlies (from Jan 4/08) but the video is too unstable to be useable. Has anyone been able to patch 0.8.6d with the fix? I tried replacing the updated libdtstospdif_plugin module, but it crashed on playback of the DTS stream. I don't know enough about compiling to rebuild from the 0.8.6d source (plus I'm running Leopard). Could somebody who knows more than me do this, if it is indeed possible? An updated libdtstospdif_plugin working on 0.8.6d would be great! I believe all of the answers needed are contained within this thread. VLC 0.8.6d has been working perfectly for me aside from this one issue.

Thanks in advance...

jnmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jnmen » 02 Feb 2008 08:46

I'm also waiting for a build fixing the issue. I tried building it without success. Also the nightly builds haven't been updated since january 4. Maybe there is somebody from the devteam who can give us an idea when we can expect a version with this fix?

cyantist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cyantist » 04 Feb 2008 19:51

Could we get a 0.8.6e with this problem resolved? I wish I knew how to recompile since it seems that the answers are all here. I have lots of movies with DTS soundtracks, and it would be great to play them properly. I'm trying to be patient, but I know the fix is just around the corner. Any update at all would be great!

verity
New Cone
New Cone

Postby verity » 07 Feb 2008 07:40

Any news on this? Is the latest version (e) due out pretty soon. Mplayer or this do not work and I just want 1080p with dts sound without having to boot into windows. Ahhhhh =\

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 07 Feb 2008 09:26

Well, I have switched to OSXBMC (osxbmc.com) now :)

It's the best mediacenter for the best OS !

It plays my 1080p 1536DTS's perfectly :)

It uses the latest SVN builds of FFMPEG underneath the hood so we have all the cutting edge features all the time.

Give it a try :wink:
/Martin

madmax_2069
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby madmax_2069 » 07 Feb 2008 21:04

It uses the latest SVN builds of FFMPEG underneath the hood so we have all the cutting edge features all the time.

which is only for Leopard and Intel, no luck for PPC users.

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 07 Feb 2008 21:52

which is only for Leopard and Intel, no luck for PPC users.
Anybody not on Leopard and Intel?

Just kidding :D
/Martin

cyantist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cyantist » 09 Feb 2008 09:17

Thanks for the link.. I'm now a happy user of osxbmc and so far so good.. It's a little buggy and still needs some work, but so far it's played everything I've thrown at it perfectly! I think it's going to evolve into something great, maybe even a serious contender to Front Row..

Anyways, I know this is the VLC forum, so I'll stop talking about osxbmc and get back to waiting for the DTS fix.. :cry:

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”