Adding VNC-Feature for Remote-OSD

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
techfreak
New Cone
New Cone

Adding VNC-Feature for Remote-OSD

Postby techfreak » 01 Jan 2008 16:07

Hi all

I would like to add a new feature to VLC to use it as streaming client in Windows for the ffnetdev-Plugin of VDR (open soure "video disk recorder" on linux).

The plugin ffnetdev in VDR sends the current video-stream (without OSD) over the network instead of decoding and showing it locally. The On-Screen-Display is offered over a VNC-Connection.

Do you agree when I want to do this?

I already downloaded and compiled (in Linux) the current source code from SVN and was also able to get a self-compiled windows executable of VLC. I did this in a VM-Ware virtual machine running ubuntu 7.10.

After looking at the source code I assume the best way to implement this feature would be a new video-filter. The "logo" filter seems to be a good base to do this, changing that the data in p_pic of the logo_t struct is filled by the VNC data instead of a picture from a file.
But I did not find yet much information and samples on how to fill the picture_t type with data.

Do you have any comments or suggestions for me?

Best regards and a happy new year

techfreak

edit:
I forgot to say that VLC already is able to get the videostream from the ffnetdev-Plugin without any code change by starting with "vlc tcp://VDR-IP-Adresse:20002".
The only missing is an overlay with the OSD.

techfreak
New Cone
New Cone

Need some sample code

Postby techfreak » 02 Jan 2008 21:09

Hello there

Can anyone please provide me some lines of sample code on how to fill a picture_t struct with some hardcoded pixels with hardcoded colors?

thank for help.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Adding VNC-Feature for Remote-OSD

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Jan 2008 00:20

ask on the mls.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

techfreak
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Adding VNC-Feature for Remote-OSD

Postby techfreak » 05 Jan 2008 16:51

ask on the mls.
What is "mls"?

I assume you mean the mailing lists and will ask there.

Regards, techfreak

Return to “Contribute and help the VideoLAN project”