spdif or not?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: spdif or not?

Postby VLC_help » 01 Dec 2007 00:15

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42348&p=132736#p132533
it is a known issue, but without Windows developer, this issue will continue to exist forever. And you can use trac to report bugs
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 02 Dec 2007 07:36

it is a known issue, but without Windows developer, this issue will continue to exist forever.
Sad but true. None of the developers would want to dedicate much time to fixing a platform specific problem unless it is in some way hindering the use of their media player platform and given that the changing of the audio output module to "Win32 WaveOut extension output" fixes the problem for some users this would be even less of reason to fix the "DirectX audio output" over S/PDIF is assumed to work fine, for some though. :)

Visitors of this forum please help out, I'm sure that at least some of you have knowledge of the Windows platform and might be able to help in VLC's (Windows) development. :P

solowkey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby solowkey » 04 Dec 2007 00:05

Hi,

i had this issue but the waveout setting sorted it , now have my x-plosion card working perfectly with my onkyo 605 amp, i have PCM 48Khz selectd in the 3d sound utility and now when i play normal audio it is in stereo (with option to turn on DTS connect or DDL) and when i play DTS content it switches up (on my amp not in the audio control panel which still shows 2 channel).

My problem now is Vista , i had several problems like no videon anything only sound - i got the video in VLC sorted but now in media player ,im not too fussed about media player, my problem is that in VLC the A/52 option is gone, i have no passthru option at all just stereo or 5.1 , i have tried several sources which all work in XP but not vista .

I have set all pass through options as in XP but i dont think that is the problem as in XP it displayed the A/52 even when i couldnt get it to work, in vista it snot there - can anyone tell me why or how to enable it ?

Also although i have no video in WMP (just a blank screen for all video) i have audio which is not DTS pass through (my amp still shows PCM but doesnt flick to DTS) does any one know how to enable DTS passthrough in WMP ?

this is all on a fresh vista install , HDA X-Plosion card , only WMP11 & VLC installed i have alson installed DIVX & AC3Filter + SPDIFFER

Any pointers much appreciated

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Dec 2007 01:35

From AC3filter make sure you have passthrough selected for DTS (for Windows Media Player problems, also check that Windows Media Player uses AC3filter for DTS decoding, not filters from PowerDVD, WinDVD etc.).

dazhoop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dazhoop » 01 Jan 2008 15:28

Dear All,

I thought it best to raise my request for advice to an existing thread as my issue is quite similar to other existing ones …. If the response level is low I shall create a new thread, unless advised otherwise by site admin.

SYSTEM: I have a server that houses my videos, photos and music, and streams via LAN to a Shuttle HTPC in the lounge. The Shuttle (which is connected to the SatTV and is the DVD player) is connected to the TV via its one HDMI port, and I have SPDIF out to my Yamaha YSP4000 Sound Processor. I could send audio via HDMI to the Yamaha and then HDMI-out from the Yamaha to the TV, but I don’t want to have to turn the Yamaha on just to watch regular TV or if the kids are watching some DVD.

WHAT I WANT TO ACHIEVE: Use VLC as my primary software for playback of video, with video to TV via HDMI and raw audio to Yamaha via SPDIF for decoding at target.

PROBLEM: A worse version of the VLC / SPDIF issue that other users have encountered. I get absolutely no audio out via SPDIF when playing through VLC – the audio is sent via HDMI to the TV.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED THUS FAR:
• After filling up the Shuttle’s install with a whole host of codecs (including an install of PowerDVD which really mashed things up), breaking and fixing and re-breaking WMP I created a dual boot, clean install of the MCE2005 o/s.
• Installed all of the bundled drivers to the clean install, including the onboard Realtek HDMI, but no software!
• Installed VLC 0.8.6.d.
• Applied no Windows updates.
• Executed my (local) .avi of the Hulk in WMP10. Audio played over SPDIF without issue. (No video because I need an Xvid codec, but I wanted to keep this o/s as clean as possible until I shared my experiences with you guys)
• Executed the same .avi in VLC. Video is fine, but all audio is output to the TV via the HDMI connection.
• Altered the VLC settings to Use SPDIF when available. Restarted and retried with no difference.
• Altered the audio output module to Win32 waveout. Restarted and retried with no difference.
• Altered the audio output module to DirectX audio output. Restarted and retried with no difference.
• Installed a temporary version of VLC 8.2 in the original o/s, and copied across the old libaout_directx_plugin.dll as suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31776&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=spdif. I then repeated the previous 3 steps but with no change.
• Repeated the previous 3 steps using the entire VLC 8.2.
• Repeated the steps above, but with the HDMI cable disconnected and video sent to regular PC monitor via VGA cable – no difference, still no sound over SPDIF
• Repeated all of these steps when playing a (network) DVD (.iso), with the A/52 over S/PDIF selected.

OBSERVATIONS:
When playing my .avi, the option to use A/52 over SPDIF is not even available to me, but when playing a DVD (.iso) it is an option, but selecting it has no effect.
Some people are successfully outputting audio over SPDIF, as evidenced here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41136&p=128337&hilit=spdif#p128337and here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40471&p=126055&hilit=spdif#p126055. If you guys happen to chance upon this thread, finite details of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

GOING FORWARD:

• Fix it myself – Not in a million years
• Use alternate audio connection – This would require additional hardware, which is highly unlikely in the micro form that the Shuttle exists in. It is not designed for expansion, and in any case, my insistence of using HDMI for video out could possibly causing conflict anyway, and so new hardware may not resolve the issue.
• As suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30547&st=0&sk=t&sd ... F&start=15 - Provide a Developer with the tools and/or funds to undertake the task.
• Use an alternative software package – I don’t think there is one for me. Most other .iso players seem to require a virtual drive mount, which is impractical for the simple front-end that I am attempting to create for the home media environment. VLC ticks all of my boxes and is the one product I want to use.

I wish I could say I had the knowledge to fix this, but I simply don’t. Whilst I am computer literate, my technical knowledge is limited to Unix scripting – programming is out! I understand the concept of compiling the program to form an executable, and am not "scared" to give these things a shot, and be some sort of a tester, but I don’t think I would bring much experience and use to the stage. I dearly would like to see this fixed, and fully understand the notion of it being freeware and developed by people in their free time.

QUESTIONS:
1. First and foremost, any one have any idea why I am getting 0 sound from SPDIF using VLC? At this stage I would just like to have the stuttering like everyone else!
2. Is it possible to tell VLC not to decode and to pass raw data?
3. Does SPDIF by its very nature send the raw audio data?
4. Are there some mandatory codecs required with VLC?
5. In the event of no mandatory codecs, are there any recommended ones? (I have used ffdshow rev.610 20061201 with great success whilst developing my home media network on the PCs and experimenting with Tversity)
6. I have seen references to the nightly builds, and the fact that there is a ticket open for this issue. Has a solution already been developed in one of these packages? If so, I am happy (?) to have a shot at learning to compile and testing this specific functionality.
7. How do I go about the task of liaising with a willing Windows Developer who would be willing (and able) to give a shot at resolving this, with the right tools and/or funds? [No you can’t borrow my Yamaha ;-0 ]

Apologies to all for my inane rambling! Hopefully the post length might have peeked the interest of a some knowledgeable folks. I will monitor this thread for activity and reply ASAP when/if necessary as this little issue is holding back my personal media project and so it is in my interest to progress in whatever way necessary. All your thoughts, comments, and suggestions welcomed with open-mindedness.

benwillcox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby benwillcox » 01 Jan 2008 19:37

Hello, sorry if this post is not much help to fix those who have problems with their SPDIF output, but just to say that I have no problem using SPDIF with VLC for both DD and DTS audio output, as long as I change the Audio output to the Win32 waveout module.

So, I wonder its a sound driver issue, maybe someone who has the problem could try with a different type of sound card?

Cheers,
Ben

dazhoop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dazhoop » 02 Jan 2008 02:03

Hi Ben,

Would it be possible for you to advise me: what soundcard you use, what version of VLC you are running, and whether you have any extra codecs installed?

You got me thinking: my server has SPDIF out on the motherboard and does not have an HDMI port, so I think I will give that a try too and then report back. Whilst not a clean o/s by any stretch, it might help to prove that I have some sort of conflict between VLC and my onboard sound which prevents me from getting any sound output via VLC / SPDIF.

deadball
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deadball » 05 Jan 2008 03:01

Hey,

same problem for me here. Stuttering sound @ Win Vista 32bit, even with WaveOut. When i used XP, it worked, but i don't only want to use XP, because ac3 passtrough does not work.

My Setting:
Yamaha Receiver
Koaxial Digital Out from Asus P5WDH Deluxe (Realtek HD Audio)
Realtek Driver Ver. 6.0.1.5350
Codec ALC882
DirectX 10.0
VLC 0.8.6d
Problem is, i need to use VLC because most other player can't handle my VDR stream :(

Cheers,
db

dazhoop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dazhoop » 05 Jan 2008 16:43

Managed to get SPDIF audio and HDMI video today, so happy to share my settings:

Realtek Codec: ALC888
Audio Driver Version: 5.10.0.5532 (20/12/2007)
Direct X: 9.0C
VLC: 0.8.6d

Settings Inside VLC:
Enable SPDIF
Preferences / Audio / Output Modules / Audio Output Module = Win32 Waveout extension output (without this setting I got stutter)

Windows:
Control Panel / Sounds And Audio Device Properties / Audio (tab) - HDMI Device or Realtek HD Audio Output { I select Realtek }
Control Panel / Sounds And Audio Device Properties / Audio (tab) - Untick " Use Only Default Devices" {This is the setting that I didn't even spot that had been preventing me getting any sound at all over SPDIF, no matter which device I selected }

Hope this helps somebody. The only issue I have now is that it doesn't automatically revert to HDMI if the Yamaha (SPDIF) is turned off for "everyday TV viewing" - guess some kind of macro / registry update batch file is in order.

benwillcox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby benwillcox » 06 Jan 2008 21:55

Hi Ben,

Would it be possible for you to advise me: what soundcard you use, what version of VLC you are running, and whether you have any extra codecs installed?
Hi Daz, I see you have now got it working anyway, my soundcard is integrated into the motherboard and is an AC '97 device apparently, and I'm using the 0.9.0 svn version of VLC with no additional codecs.

Cheers,
Ben

ag107093
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ag107093 » 16 Mar 2008 04:20

This seems to be resolved in the .9 version.

With vlc 8.6 I couldn't resolve the problem with any combo of settings. I suspect the Sound Blasters are more prone to this error than the RealTeks.

I grabbed the lastest nightly build of the version 9 beta, and found it sends the DTS stream to my reciever over S/PDIF without problem.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Mar 2008 20:09

This seems to be resolved in the .9 version.

With vlc 8.6 I couldn't resolve the problem with any combo of settings. I suspect the Sound Blasters are more prone to this error than the RealTeks.

I grabbed the lastest nightly build of the version 9 beta, and found it sends the DTS stream to my reciever over S/PDIF without problem.
Good to know :D
We (especially Andre Weber) worked on that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

atmo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby atmo » 17 Mar 2008 13:07

nice :-) I like to read this. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

atmo
--
Atmo
a VLC - Windows - Developer

God gives some people a halo. I gave my TV AtmoLight :-) 1 2

float
New Cone
New Cone

Postby float » 17 Mar 2008 13:53

hi,

im running vlc on windows vista x64. i use win32 waveout to get the "clear" sound over spdifout but it stutters too.

where i can get this working beta? :-)

atmo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby atmo » 17 Mar 2008 14:00

and here you go

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D

but be aware each nightly may have other bugs than the last one :)

--
atmo
--
Atmo
a VLC - Windows - Developer

God gives some people a halo. I gave my TV AtmoLight :-) 1 2

float
New Cone
New Cone

Postby float » 17 Mar 2008 14:56

thank you!

EDIT: spdif out works fine with win32 waveout module.

but when i close vlc while a movie is running, i get this error:

Code: Select all

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Plese contact the application's support team for more information
I press "Ok" and then Vista say that vlc.exe doens't work and aks me to close the program. i think this is one of this other bugs you mention? ;)

t-readyroc
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.3
Operating System: Win7

Postby t-readyroc » 19 Mar 2008 18:25

I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be going through it again & trying the listed suggestions tonight. I'll also be updating to 0.86e and to the A4.04 Realtek drivers before trying. The Guru3D file repository is much faster than trying to get the drivers from Realtek.

I wanted to post my experience thus far as well, though, in case it helps someone:
Motherboard is a Leadtek NF4SK8AA-8EKRS (realtek alc850)

S/PDIF set to output digital only (optical cable)

VLC preferences; audio:
  • selected use S/PDIF when available
    selected force detection of dolby surround
For an x264-encoded hd-dvd mkv:

In vlc, if audio device is set to:
  • 5.1 - all speakers will play save for the center channel/dialog - receiver detects as "surround"
    a/52 over S/PDIF - all audio will come through, but sounds like a CD skipping - receiver detects as "digital" (dolby 5.1)
    2 front, 2 rear - all audio comes through just fine for everything - receiver detects as "surround"
For a ripped dvd, the audio automatically defaults to the a/52 device, & the sound is the same as the a/52 above
**UPDATE

Ok, I've updated the drivers & VLC, & neither of those worked. Changing my output module to win32 waveout extension, however, did the trick (preferences > audio > output modules > enable advanced). Thanks to those who posted the fix for me. Hope others will have some luck & maybe we can get a permanent fix with 0.9 final.

booster69
New Cone
New Cone

Postby booster69 » 05 May 2008 12:18

I've been getting the same problem with stuttering sound through vlc.
I was getting a skipping/looping sound everytime I tried to use my s/pdif connection. When set to win32 wavout I would get constant stuttering and audio dropouts.
I have tried DL'ing 0.9 and setting it to Win32 waveout, however I am still getting audio drop-outs, although nowhere near as bad as with 0.8.6f. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe once every 10 seconds or so the audio drops out/stutters 3 - 4 times in a row then everything is fine again for a while.

I am running on Vista using a M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 with the latest drivers/software.

Anyone else still having trouble, or know of a solution?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”