Streaming from default audio output

macOS specific usage questions
robot_army
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming from default audio output

Postby robot_army » 04 Dec 2007 18:29

Is it possible to take a stream from the default output of my Mac and stream it to another device over my network?

I'm trying to implement a software airport, using a PC notebook connected to my sound system, and a macbook as the audio source. There really should be a way to accept the system's default audio output as an input to VLC, and use it's streaming capabilities to send it across the network.

Is there some package like Jack or Soundflower that can output audio to be piped into VLC via the command line? is there a /dev/audio in darwin somewhere? i'm totally stuck, and this really shouldn't be that hard considering how powerful VLC is

robot_army
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Streaming from default audio output

Postby robot_army » 10 Dec 2007 06:09

nothing?? at all??

damn... *buys more proprietary apple gear (airport express)*
*grumble*

robot_army
New Cone
New Cone

Postby robot_army » 06 Feb 2008 18:50

argh - didn't buy the airport express... if i'm going to have to hack it anyways, i might as well save the money...

Isn't there SOME way to do this?? i'd really like to make it work!

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 06 Feb 2008 19:11

You can play/stream the sound card audio output (stereo mix) in VLC on Windows via DirectShow, however I do not know if there is an equivilant for OS X. Are you able to go to "File >> Open Capture Device..."?

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

robot_army
New Cone
New Cone

Postby robot_army » 06 Feb 2008 19:23

No open capture device, but it can open an MRL. Is there a listing of the acceptable MRL formats somewhere? Is one of them maybe the solution? I've searched for a long, long time and haven't had any luck!

I can do the streaming with quicktime broadcast whatever, but the latency is like 1000 years... (8 seconds or so)

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 06 Feb 2008 22:17

I don't think there is capture support in OS X yet - see here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25603
Is there some package like Jack or Soundflower that can output audio to be piped into VLC via the command line? is there a /dev/audio in darwin somewhere? i'm totally stuck, and this really shouldn't be that hard considering how powerful VLC is
The only way in which I could see this working would if Jack or Soundflower could create a UDP/RTP or similar stream which VLC could playback, although there may be other methods.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”