Audio Choppy Over SPDIF - Dolby Digital Unusable

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
argb444
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Audio Choppy Over SPDIF - Dolby Digital Unusable

Postby argb444 » 27 Nov 2007 15:13

VLC version 0.8.6c

Selecting SPDIF in the audio settings results in extremely choppy Dolby Digital audio output. Changing the audio output module to Win32 waveOut as suggested in earlier posts has no effect.

This config is Win Vista with an Auzentech HDA X-Plosion PCI audio card connected via S/PDIF to a Denon 3805 A/V Receiver. Latest drivers for the HDA X-Plosion are being used.

Dolby Digital output from other apps works fine.

Is there a fix for this?

-argb

PerpetualOmega

Re: Audio Choppy Over SPDIF - Dolby Digital Unusable

Postby PerpetualOmega » 28 Nov 2007 10:34

Hi,

Im having same probs with a different set of hardware,

i also use VLC to view DVD's using Win32 as mentioned in previous posts but since moving to Vista audio "skips" every 5 seconds so i have to use powerDVD.

any ideas VLC?

thanks
beanie

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Nov 2007 14:09

This (solving the issue) needs a Windows developer with proper skills (and hardware). But because it seems that there aren't Windows devs working on VLC now, I have to suggest rent a coder or similar services if you really need this feature ASAP.

PerpetualOmega

Postby PerpetualOmega » 28 Nov 2007 20:42

or use another media player.

argb444
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby argb444 » 29 Nov 2007 02:47

Are there other ac3 filters that will work in VLC under Vista?

-argb

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Dec 2007 00:12

VLC doesn't use external codecs, so installing other software has no effect.

menean01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby menean01 » 16 Dec 2007 08:59

This (solving the issue) needs a Windows developer with proper skills (and hardware). But because it seems that there aren't Windows devs working on VLC now, I have to suggest rent a coder or similar services if you really need this feature ASAP.
:!: This issue appears to be related to the modifications made to VLC following v 0.8.2 :!:; this version does not have the problem, but versions after this release experience the issue.

:idea: If you want to use VLC to listen to audio content, I would recommend downgrading to v 0.8.2: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... -win32.exe. :idea:

Also- This problem isn't just related to Dolby Digital, but any audio that is being decoded by your hardware via SPDIF (This includes DTS).

Garfield66
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Garfield66 » 26 Dec 2007 04:42

Thanks menean01 ! :D going back to the older version works ! Unfortunately for me, that version doesn't seem to support .mkv files :( Ah well, it's solved most of my problems, thanks again.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”