I Think I Give Up!

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
Marcos
New Cone
New Cone

I Think I Give Up!

Postby Marcos » 20 Nov 2007 07:20

I have gone thru just about every thread here regarding how to apply a skin and did everything instructed. However my symptom has not shown up on any of these discussions. What happens to me is when I go to start the player I get a standard Windows 'Open a skin file' dialog showing the contents of the skins folder. Naturally I clik on the skin I want, then clik the open button. The dialog goes away and nothing happens! In order to get my player back I have to do the typical Start>Program files>VideoLAN>Quick Settings>Reset

I'm stumped!

Marcos
New Cone
New Cone

Re: I Think I Give Up!

Postby Marcos » 24 Nov 2007 01:41

50 views and no one has a clue or even a comment. Thnx.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 24 Nov 2007 03:31

Try reinstalling VLC (get the latest version 0.8.6c if you don't already have it), and in the "Choose Components" section of the installer wizard, ensure that "Delete preferences and cache" (at the bottom) is selected.

Then as an extra precaustion, go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your username)\Application Data

And delete "vlc".

Then try setting the main interface to skinnable, by going into:
Start >> Programs >> VideoLAN >> Quick Settings >> Interface >> Set Main Interface to Skinnable

Then open VLC.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Marcos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Marcos » 24 Nov 2007 05:31

Hi Arite -

Thnx for responding. I followed your suggestion. No go. Same symptoms. I am thinking my problem is because I use Windows ME. I could not find anywhere what Windows version is required for this utility so I assume any Windows it should work. I suppose I must live with default skin. This I know works.

New question: I learn out how to save and have player open with "Extended GUI". However, I am unable to know what I must do so that Vid/Aud/EQ adjustments are saved for next player opening. Right now each open is back to disabled setting and I must re-adjust on every player open.

Thank you very much Arite.

-Marcos

Marcos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Marcos » 24 Nov 2007 06:50

New question: I learn out how to save and have player open with "Extended GUI". However, I am unable to know what I must do so that Vid/Aud/EQ adjustments are saved for next player opening. Right now each open is back to disabled setting and I must re-adjust on every player open.
OOPS - Wrong forum! However, f.y.i., a search revealed that saving the GUI settings is not possible. This also must mean that saving the re-adjusted 'size' of the player is also not possible. Too bad. This player had so much potential. I was really hoping this would be the ALL-IN-ONE player for me. Looks like I'm gonna be using Winamp forever (been using it forever). i'll bookmark vlc and come back in a few years and see how it's goin'.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 24 Nov 2007 16:49

You might be able to save the extended GUI settings by adjusting them to the desired setting and the go into Preferences and click the Save button.
This also must mean that saving the re-adjusted 'size' of the player is also not possible.
Maybe in the next version.

viewtopic.php?p=131587#p131587

Marcos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Marcos » 24 Nov 2007 18:41

You might be able to save the extended GUI settings by adjusting them to the desired setting and the go into Preferences and click the Save button.
Yes, I know about save. I did that before asking question, that is how I was able to have player open w/GUI, but settings were 'default', i.e. disabled. I think whatever code (or lack of) prevents 'resized' player from being saved for next open also is preventing settiings from being saved. Thnx for trying.
This also must mean that saving the re-adjusted 'size' of the player is also not possible.
Maybe in the next version.
When will that be?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 24 Nov 2007 19:29

Last I heard at the end of the year, this year I hope. :P

Marcos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Marcos » 24 Nov 2007 22:33

Last I heard at the end of the year, this year I hope. :P
Thnx. And thnx to everyone for viewing. Hopefully when next version comes I won't have cause to post - :wink:

tarazed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tarazed » 01 Dec 2007 00:51

Yes I shall have to give up also. I have looked at all the documentation and tried Preferences -> Interface -> Main Interfaces and tried the drop down list but nowhere can I find any reference to skinnable interfaces. To be precise I see: Default, HTTP remote control, Remote control interface, wxWidgets Interface Module.

I am running 0.8.6c on a newly installed Mandriva 2008 system. I placed the .vlt files in ~/.vlc/skins2 as instructed and invoked VLC by "vlc -I skins2" but nada.

tarazed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tarazed » 01 Dec 2007 02:13

Replying to my own post - naughty naughty.

While poking around in the Mandriva package list I discovered svlc (I had installed vlc only) and vlc-more-skins. After installing both packages I found the skinnable interfaces section so all is well. FYI the Mandriva install places the skins under /usr/share/vlc/skins2 and adds default.vlt and a skin catalog XML file.

borniehj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby borniehj » 28 Jul 2009 02:55

Hi.
I have the same exact problem, and found what was wrong for me. VLC does not play well with non-english characters.

I am running Windows XP, and I have an "ø" (a norwegian letter) in my username. I am neither able to select a skin via the preferences-menu, nor through the right-click menu. However, if I create an account with only english letters, everything works perfectly at the first try. This is a problem affecting MANY programs unfortunately.

Hope this "solves" you problem. Atleast you know what is wrong :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jul 2009 14:59

Can you fill a bug, please?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

borniehj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby borniehj » 28 Jul 2009 15:31

I have sent an email to "vlc@videolan.org" explaining the issue, because I didn't find any better place to send it.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jul 2009 16:09

trac.videolan.org/vlc
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

borniehj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby borniehj » 05 Aug 2009 17:54

Hi again. I registered and browsed the page, but did not find where to actually send in a bugreport, so if you know where, please copy+paste my issue. Im sorry, but I dont have the patience to search that site anymore...

Return to “Skins”