VLC media player and Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
emadtheman
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC media player and Windows Vista

Postby emadtheman » 23 Jul 2007 00:08

Thanks milotjuh. It works perfectly fine now.
However i still have one problem about VLC. somehow I cant enable the wallpaper feature. I've already gone through the steps: ( Settings > preference > Video > directx > advanced settings, and check mark wallpaper mode.) so now when i right click a video i dont see the wallpaper feature there :?

emadtheman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby emadtheman » 26 Jul 2007 17:41

I STILL CAN'T GET THE WALLPAPER MODE TO WORK!!!
READ THE ABOVE POST FOR MORE INFORMATION.

settnfires
New Cone
New Cone

Postby settnfires » 30 Jul 2007 07:03

same here... right clickin on da video used to hav da WALLPAPER feature in da menu. dat was pure genius! why remove it? :(
how do i get it to do wallpaper mode? please help :(

hhtmp88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hhtmp88 » 31 Jul 2007 15:29

Dear all,

my case is:
Vista home on Asus U5F notebook + VLC player 0.8.6c (latest version) + playing *.mov

-> result is: video is ok, but not the sound
-> the sound don't work properly and just jittering!

What's wrong?
How to correct?

Thanks for any kind of help!

Rgds,

Exrich
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Exrich » 04 Aug 2007 14:29

I have a problem with the audio in VLC 0.86c (video is fine), audio is perfect with all other media players

Whatever type of file I play the audio stutters. I used to have XP installed on my laptop and VLC worked perfectly. I've tried all the different output modules with the same result. The audio on my laptop is VIA AC'97 Enhanced audio controller, using the Microsoft certified driver. I think there is some kind of conflict between VLC and this driver because I have a set of USB headphones which have their own "mini-soundcard" and the audio is perfect.

I've tried installing the Realtek version of the AC'97 driver but unfortunately this causes the Bluescreen of death........sighs. Any ideas how I can fix this, otherwise can you please try and fix it in the new release.

(I've tried older and newer builds of VLC all with the same problem)

RoundSparrow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RoundSparrow » 07 Aug 2007 03:33

Howdy,

When I run VLC 0.86c (latest download) on Vista with a Nivida 7900GTS - I have problems when I use full screen.

The Start Bar of Windows draws in FRONT of VLC.

I have only one screen, DVI connected, 1080p TV at native 1080p resolution.

Anyone else having this problem with the Windows Start Bar not hiding?

Thank you.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 07 Aug 2007 16:23

same here... right clickin on da video used to hav da WALLPAPER feature in da menu. dat was pure genius! why remove it? :(
how do i get it to do wallpaper mode? please help :(
A few other forum posts mention the solution:
You can't use wallpaper mode with the direct3d video output, you need to use the directx video output.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

bwabes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bwabes » 10 Aug 2007 18:15

I am also experiencing the same problem where "Wallpaper" doesn't appear on the menu and I am using DirectX output. Has anyone else figured out this problem? Thanks.

gazrobsuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gazrobsuk » 22 Aug 2007 10:27

All,

I had a skim through & couldn't see my problem/'feature'

I installed the latest version on my fully patched Vista Enterprise & it works but seems to sit at 30% loading for a long time (well it seems it) then it bursts into life & works fine both picture & sound. Other players don't work so good but like on my XP system do load up quick so something weird maybe about this version & Vista.

I'm on my other/work pc so can't recall the video card details etc but can do if someone wants that info. Does anyone else have this 30% loading 'feature'

Thanks in advance

Gary

pgcurtis
New Cone
New Cone

VOB file and "nothing to play" message

Postby pgcurtis » 13 Sep 2007 03:51

I'm trying to play a recording of a speech I gave that is in a VOB format (it was recorded on a Mini DVD+RW).
I have Windows Vista version 6.0 and and just downloaded version 0.8.6.c of VLC. When I try to open the VOB file, nothing happens and the messages window shows the following:

main debug: adding playlist item `E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB' ( E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB )
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: thread 4348 (input) created at priority 1 (input/input.c:265)
main debug: drive letter E: found in source
main debug: `E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB' gives access `' demux `' path `E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate
main debug: creating access '' path='E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
main debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
vcd debug: trying .cue file: E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.cue
vcd debug: could not find .cue file
access_file debug: opening file `E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
main debug: using access2 module "access_file"
main debug: pre-buffering...
main debug: received first data for our buffer
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
main debug: looking for demux2 module: 45 candidates
main debug: using demux2 module "ps"
main debug: looking for a subtitle file in E:\VIDEO_TS\
main debug: `E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB' successfully opened
ps debug: es id=0xbdff format unknown
main debug: selecting program id=0
main debug: EOF reached
main debug: closing input
main debug: removing module "ps"
main debug: removing module "access_file"
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.156000s, kernel 0m0.015600s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: thread 4348 joined (input/input.c:412)
main: nothing to play

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peter
e-mail: pgcurtis90@hotmail.com

nomad311
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nomad311 » 14 Sep 2007 22:39

I can not use hot keys when vlc is in full screen ...this started when I upgraded to vista and has continued over each vlc update im currently using .8.6

is this a bug or is there some mystery setting I need to change

BTW: I delete my settings with each new version
-nomad311

mahana1980
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mahana1980 » 26 Sep 2007 13:21

Hello

I am trying to play an avi file, i have vista and have upgrded to VLC 086c. When i try to play avi file it said the avi was broken and soemthing about seeking and in the messages it says trying to resync. When i played the avi on the older version it played the opening credits and stopped the error message was access file error: seeking too far, and now on the new version it says avi is broken. Can someone please tell me if it is VLC or the avi file that is the problem and how i can fix it? Thanks heaps :lol:

nothes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nothes » 10 Oct 2007 12:02

Hi!

I'm using Vista Home Basic and I've a pretty strange problem. When I try to run the vlc.exe the following message shows up: "vlc.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

It worked fine for a while, but one day (about 2 or 3 weeks ago) it crashed and I can't use it since then. Ive deleted and reinstalled the whole program but I am still having the same problem. :? :(

Any idea what causes this? A program? Or a virus? (I'm using nod32 so I dont think so)

TheNewZackMorris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TheNewZackMorris » 11 Oct 2007 05:12

Nothes -
I've had similar problems with other programs after a crash, or they'll just randomly stop working. The problem was that DEP (data execution precention) was blocking them from loading. So try this...

Right click My Computer. Properties. Advanced System Settings. Under the performance section click Settings. ON the new window click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. Now click Add and browse to your VLC folder and choose VLC.exe. Click Apply. Then OK.

Let me know if that help.

nothes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nothes » 11 Oct 2007 19:24

TheNewZackMorris

Still not working... :( I did exactly what you wrote and then I made a reboot but I'm still getting the same message.

OmegaWolf747
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Postby OmegaWolf747 » 26 Oct 2007 00:10

Just wanted to say thanks for making VLC. I just played a Flash video that I downloaded from a popular video sharing site and it worked very nicely with your latest player on my Win Vista Home Prem machine. So thanks again!

Oops, just had my first problem. Both videos are FLV (flash videos) which I downloaded from YouTube using YouTubeX. OS is Win Vista Home Prem. Version of VLC Player is 0.8.6c.

The first video I played work fine. The second video I played, the video itself worked, but there was no sound. I dismissed it as a problem with the file. This morning, after coming out of sleep mode and logging into Windows, I noticed there were no sounds at all. My logon sound didn't play, I didn't hear the modem dialing into my ISP and Winamp didn't play my MP3s. I rebooted the machine and the sounds came back. But now I wonder, could this anomaly have been caused by VLC Player or by the video I downloaded?
Freedom is a birthright to be cherished, not a privilege to be earned.

nothes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nothes » 28 Oct 2007 16:43

TheNewZackMorris

Still not working... :( I did exactly what you wrote and then I made a reboot but I'm still getting the same message.
Dont know what I have done, but it works again. I'm gonna get crazy, I swear...

nahallacman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nahallacman » 02 Nov 2007 23:46

I am having a huge problem with playback on my Vista Premium laptop. Audio and video playback on other players when VLC has never been installed works fine but as soon as I install VLC player everything goes FUBAR. Audio will not playback correctly (has this weird lag thing where it will slow and will play as if it was a strobe light) ON ANY MEDIA PLAYER. I can not use windows media player, VLC, or any other media player I have tried after I install it. VLC will work just fine on my XP desktop with the same exact media files. I would love to be able to use VLC player as it is simply the best media player I have ever seen (except for this problem). Any suggestions/ideas?

OmegaWolf747
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Postby OmegaWolf747 » 03 Nov 2007 00:21

I'm far from an expert on Vista, but I would say download the latest codecs and if that doesn't work, update your video and sound drivers.

You can get a pack of Vista-specific codecs from Major Geeks.
Freedom is a birthright to be cherished, not a privilege to be earned.

dimitrist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dimitrist » 05 Nov 2007 13:07

Howdy,

When I run VLC 0.86c (latest download) on Vista with a Nivida 7900GTS - I have problems when I use full screen.

The Start Bar of Windows draws in FRONT of VLC.

I have only one screen, DVI connected, 1080p TV at native 1080p resolution.

Anyone else having this problem with the Windows Start Bar not hiding?

Thank you.
I have the same problem but I am using an ATI HD2600XT with 1 DVI output to 1080p monitor and windows Vista Business.
This happens also when I am using powerdvd deluxe. All videos are playing smoothly though when I am
using Windows Media Player.

macca420
New Cone
New Cone

Postby macca420 » 05 Nov 2007 23:00

can I use vlc to stream my mp3's on my wireless network to my linksys media link?

CobrA_4cS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CobrA_4cS » 19 Nov 2007 20:53

VLC works very fine on Vista :X

[size=0]Image[/size]
Last edited by CobrA_4cS on 04 Dec 2007 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Sandy-zheng
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Help ! From other world

Postby Sandy-zheng » 24 Nov 2007 04:23

My Vlc happened to quit when i move the time bar . swith between pause and play.So i don`t know how to solution it.
Thanks for the Vlc group and all the people support.

ps2asker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ps2asker » 24 Nov 2007 21:43

Guess I whoould have posted here first:

Here's a picture pretty much describing my problem.

It's kinda hard for me to describe, but it's like shapes from previous frames appear on latter frames making it look very ugly.
Using OpenGL or Windows GDI as video output solves this problem, but it gives me another problem, screen tearing(lots of it).
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with a 8800GTS, latest stable/beta drivers for teh card and latest stable/unstable version of VLC have been tried.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ar1stotle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ar1stotle » 30 Nov 2007 05:38

hey guys, my video works whenever i play movies; however, there is no sound. how can i fix this?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”