Attempt to open dvdr leads to reboot

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
stu

Attempt to open dvdr leads to reboot

Postby stu » 21 Dec 2003 11:07

When I try to open a dvdr (an .img-file that I have made a drive using daemontools) with vlc my computer reboots. I've tried both vlc-0.6.2-win32.exe and the new beta, but the same thing happens. The files works in other programs, like wmp and asus dvd, but not in vlc. Oh, but opening a vcd by mounting a .cue-file in daemontools, that works.

Anyone that have had any similar problems or have any ideas?
Thanks...

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 21 Dec 2003 14:38

It's probably because VLC tries to circumvent the CSS protection of DVD's. Apparently daemontools doesn't now how to handle that and actually crashes severly.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 23 Dec 2003 22:33

...strange that other players can play the files without this problem happening, isn't it? Am I the only one with this problem, if deamontools is the problem - what other program do you guys use to make dvdr watchable?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 23 Dec 2003 23:51

a DVD-R burner?
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 24 Dec 2003 11:05

Hrrm, yeah, ofc thats an option, but one that will lead to less money in my pocket :roll:
Maybe it's unavoidable in the end though....still strange that I seem to be the only one with this problem, or am I the only one that stores dvdr on my harddrive? 8)

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 24 Dec 2003 11:14

Did you try to read the .img file directly with vlc without mounting it with daemon tools ?

Postby Guest » 24 Dec 2003 15:19

if you do not want to by a burner you could always use nero burning burn an image and load it up in thier virtual drive. that might be a way to solve your problem. that's one of the ways I test a dvd I make to make sure it is compatible and works properly.

stu

Postby stu » 25 Dec 2003 12:02

Well, I attempted to read the .img file directly with vlc, but still got the same result....worked with .bin file though...seems as if it has got nothing to do with any other programs like daemontools. And to burn an image and load it up a virtual drive - thats what I've been doing all the time, thats the thing that doesn't work, the .img files!
Really strange this one...

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”