Feature requests for VLC.
Twisted_Daemon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows / Linux

CD Burning ?

Postby Twisted_Daemon » 23 Sep 2007 08:36

Hey guys,

I've had a quick search through the forum but didn't see a topic like this anywhere just yet.

Is it possible to add some nice simple CD burning software to VLC? This feature comes as standard with most other players.

Pretty please ?
To fear death, is only to limit life.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: CD Burning ?

Postby CloudStalker » 23 Sep 2007 08:39

Maybe, I'm not saying that from a developers stand point though. You ever try Exact Audio Copy for burning audio CDs? It works really well and it's an open source software.

Twisted_Daemon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows / Linux

Postby Twisted_Daemon » 23 Sep 2007 08:45

I have a number of cd burning packages that I could use.

A great number of VLCs competitors have this feature. It would just be nice to see this feature integrated into VLC.
To fear death, is only to limit life.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Sep 2007 12:30

It might be a little hard to work on burning options when VLC should work on many different OS. I haven't checked the situation for a while, but I think there isn't universal burning software for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms.

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 25 Sep 2007 04:18

Sure, and VLC should also be able to download files, browse the web, open pdf files (Adobe Reader is so slow), edit images, create word and excel documents, and do the dishes. :lol:

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 25 Sep 2007 04:37

Yes yes, all of those will be implemented in VLC 1.0.0 right after world domination. :P

aplhagg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aplhagg » 25 Sep 2007 16:23

only a suggestion but in IBM type machines isn't the burning done by sending data to the disk drives buffer and the device putting it on a disk with the software only regulating this buffer?

(i am not too sure how accurate that is but thats what i heard)

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 26 Sep 2007 16:29

Maybe, I'm not saying that from a developers stand point though. You ever try Exact Audio Copy for burning audio CDs? It works really well and it's an open source software.
EAC is not open source - it is Windows only cardware (so basically freeware - just means to register you need to send a postcard). I agree it is a awesome program for both ripping and burning CDs though :).

cdrtools or cdrdao (which is what EAC uses, and is probably more appropriate for Audio CDs) could be used as the base technology for the ripping, but then there are many high quality open source CD burning tools for most platforms already - so how much would it benefit VLC users? Still, could be useful.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

deakerd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deakerd » 26 Dec 2007 06:05

Hi,
I can understand your problem, I use a great [url=http://www%20easymultimedia.co.uk]CD duplication[/url] service provider when I need to make lot of copy of any particular CD and it works very well for me. You don’t need waste your time; you can get lot of copy of your CD in short of time. I hope you will get what you want.
Good luck!

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 24 Sep 2008 21:54

I would still like to see this get added

Mercury048
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mercury048 » 24 Sep 2008 23:05

I never understood why other media players have this feature. I have never used it.

If I want to burn a CD I will use a tool for burning a CD. If I want to play music or video, I will use a media player.

I mean, when have you ever seen a TV that can burn DVDs? That's just crazy!

Oh, wait... :o

Isaak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Isaak » 25 Sep 2008 19:49

I never understood why other media players have this feature. I have never used it.

If I want to burn a CD I will use a tool for burning a CD. If I want to play music or video, I will use a media player.

I mean, when have you ever seen a TV that can burn DVDs? That's just crazy!

Oh, wait... :o
I completely agree, there's no need to make a Swiss pocket knife like tool out of VLC. It's a media player so let it stay one, additional features which have nothing to do with media playing are just a complete waste of time.

calv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby calv » 08 Oct 2008 14:24

I have also never used a media player to burn an audio cd. But having this features in a media player is not complete nonsense. There are 2 reasons why a media player could be preferable to a normal cd burning programs:

1. You might already have put together a playlist in the media player. In a cd burning program you might have to put that list together again.
2. A media player does in most cases support more audio file formats than a cd burning program. You might have to convert the files by hand to wav.

Both problems on the other hand could be solved by a cd burning program more easily by just supporting more playlist and audio file formats. And since the audio-CD looses more and more significance (bacause of mp3-players) I agree that this feature is not that important anymore.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Oct 2008 14:27

Ok, I step in.

This is not stupid, but we are not going to do it now... Why? lack of developers, lack of cross-platform burning library...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby DGMurdockIII » 24 Oct 2008 17:35

i would like to see this but i think CD ripping should come first

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Oct 2008 13:34

You can already rip CDs with VLC.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby DGMurdockIII » 27 Oct 2008 22:39

how can you rip cd tell me

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 27 Oct 2008 23:56

VLC can play the Audio CDs. VLC can stream/transcode to a file. Open an Audio CD in VLC and stream to a file.

However for accurate CD ripping with features such as error detection use a proper ripping program such as EAC and CDex (on Windows), cdparanoia (*nix) etc.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Chad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Chad » 16 Sep 2010 05:30

I, for one, would love to see VLC have cd burning capability. I don't know if it has ripping capability or not, I only just started playing with it. In any case, adding a cd burning feature is a good idea. It just makes sense to have it all in one package.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Sep 2010 14:01

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ivydale
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ivydale » 06 Jan 2011 08:00

first of all I am a complete novice. My wife copied some old records to a flashdrive, how can I burn them to a disc to play in the car? What disc do I use. I am working with windows vista, and got on to this site via my flashdrive, searching for a way to copy it to a cd Ivydale

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Jan 2011 15:26

ivydale: Wrong forum. VLC doesn't burn anything.

jrjr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jrjr » 17 Jan 2013 05:30

Registered to post.....

sorry to pop this stale thread, but this works.

It seems that what was really asked is how to get a playlist to generate duped file output rather than play in VLC.

I had been looking for this solution for some time and here's how to get a directory
that relates to the playlist so that you can then independently burn it to CD.

Use AudioM it's a java program on sourceforge that will work with the m3u type
playlists and generate a directory with the files in it that you want to burn.

Then, infarecorder will burn the directory to the CD.

It's a barely capable 'nix program but it runs as Java anywhere and it did the job.

jr

grathbun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grathbun » 11 Jun 2016 08:30

Something that would work just as well as VLC being able to burn CDs would be to have some way of taking a VLC playlist file and importing that into a CD-burning program such as K3b. I have a VLC playlist of a couple hundred audio MP3s from various directories on my hard drive that I'd like to burn to a data CD (or copy it to a USB flash drive.) It would take hours to go through those directories and manually add all those files to K3b. Is there any way to automate that? I actually have a number of VLC playlists, some with several hundred files.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 11 Jun 2016 18:38

VLC can save m3u playlists. There are burning softwares supporting m3u playlists. There are softwares/scripts for copying/moving files according to m3u playlists.
... K3b ...
You actually can do this in K3B, what you do is first open an audio cd project and open the m3u into it. Then make a data cd project. Then select all the tracks in the audio cd project and drag them up to the tab for the data cd project. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that out (I was in the exact same spot as you).

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”